1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The best way to kill Vampires?

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Sir Ai Rayzor, Sep 24, 2003.

1. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

Greater Restoration is the whole party. I'm 100% certain, I have used this quite often as a total party heal in combat.

2. Aldazar Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

For me, it's hard to beat Daystar when you face a group of them. Just cast Negative Plane Protection the fighter weilding it and send them straight in. Make sure they're protectedf form Domination as well of course.

3. Trimm Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Control + Y, gets 'em every time.
    On a serious note,Beserker Rage protects from level drain and domination. "Minsc and Boo stand ready."

4. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Anti-drain amulet or spell, mace of disruption or azuredge and shield (you will still need a good AC). Turning works really well only with single or dual-classed clerics or paladins (they need much more XP to level up than priests do and are 2 levels behind in turning for being paladins). Having Imoen, Nalia and Aerie in the party gives you quite a nice amount of fireballs coming in threes. Then, there's *always* Azuredge (come on, it's 2K gp) and perhaps mace of disruption (unless you play 1st time).

5. Sir Ai Rayzor Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I'm sorry that I havent replied to this in awhile. But we are having exchange students at our residences right now, so sparetime is very scarce.

Anyway... I have a Kensai(13)/Mage(12)
    With Clerics Staff +3 and Staff Mace.

I have Nalia in my party, her mage level is at about 14 I think (a few days since I played, so I cant remember)

I'm currently playing in Chapter 2, the only thing I need to do is paying Galean Bayle (sp?) the 15000 GP to progress. Im not doing it right now (although I have the money) because I never had a lvl 40 character, and would badly want to play a character up to that level.

Where can I get all the items that you are talking about? (like False Dawn and such - just the ones that arent mentioned)

I an earlier thread I posted that I couldnt kill the shadow dragon, but he's not a problem any more (already made the Acid Scales).

And thanks a lot for the many quick replies! :) :cool: I like it!

6. Sparhawk the Pandion Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

False Dawn is a level 6 priest spell. Sunray is a level 7 priest spell, so you'll have to level up your cleric.

I think all the other ones are covered.

7. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    hmm, IMO the best way is either to have a high level cleric (lathande at best) with the mace of disruption or amulet of power equipped, turning. A high level undead slayer is just as good.

However, spells work very well too: protection from negative plane, false dawn or sunray. Supportive spells such as bless, chaotic commands or a cavalier's remove fear against the vampire's charming, defensive harmony, haste and all that.

Fireballs are excellent against vampires. Ranged weapons with +2 bullets work fine for most undead, just as the sun-something bullets from Thaxl'ssilyia's dungeon. Spells like control undead also offer an alternative to turning. Backstabbing works very well against vampires. And then there are the protection from undead scrolls, not to mention daystar, flametongue (+4 against undead), azuredge and the mace of disruption.

After all, I don't fear vampires anymore, but that may also be due to my party composition ;)

8. Loerand

Loerand My heart holds no fear for death

In fact, every class can use it, except for thief and pure fighter(a ranger or paladin can use it.)

9. Ragusa

Media:
    [​IMG] I am surprised. If I'm not VERY much mistaken paladins and rangers CANNOT use the amulet of power. That was so when I last played the game.

:roll: Weee! My 3.600th post! :spin:

10. Skywind Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

A point to note, Jaheira can equip the amulet of power. So multi or dual-class fighter/druid or cleric or mage should be able to equip it too.

11. Rastor Gems: 30/31

Correct, but a pure fighter, ranger, paladin, monk, or barbarian cannot.

12. Death Whisper Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

thats why a undead hunter is nice to use against undead. Mace of disruption + shield of balduran = undead and beholder havoc :D

and as the alst poster said, the amulet of power can only be used by druids, clerics, mages and sorcerors. Though a thief and bard can wear it after getting the "use any item" ability though that is unlikely in chapter 3 unless you solo or do watchers keep as well as all the other quests.
    (my bard and thief in a full party was level 23 right before i entered spellhold).

13. Capt. Tripps Gems: 9/31

Since you're doing Firkraag's quest use tactics. In the room where the Orcs attack you through the locked gates, if you unlock the gates and then enter the next room from the side you'll find yourself on ledges above the next room. What I do then is equip everyone with ranged weapons and send out a scout to lure all the monsters back to that room. You should have plenty of +2 arrows and bolts by then, most monsters are dead before they get 3 steps into the room.

14. Ragusa

Media:
    Death Whisper,
    IMO it is quite waste to use the mace of disruption on an undead slayer as he's protected against level drain anyway. I'd rather give the mace to someone else and equip him with something solid, like Carsomy or Lilarcor.
    The amulet of power is best used on clerics or mages.

15. Death Whisper Gems: 9/31

nope, it's not a waste.
    Mace of disruption have a chance of destroying undead. So why is it a waste? I can't remember seeing that the mace makes you immune to level drain.....but i might be wrong.

And who said you had to use the mace all the time? Use the mace when fighting undead and then swap to carsomyr when not fighting undead.

Ok, to answer the main topic questione:

summon monsters and send them into the room, also have your thief set traps and lure the vamps into them. They can be quite pesky.
    also try to lure a few of them at a time which makes battling them easier.

don't use the bhaal spawn in this task though.

[ September 29, 2003, 13:34: Message edited by: Death Whisper ]

16. Rastor Gems: 30/31

Mace of Disruption +2 makes you immune to level drain. Mace of Disruption +1 does not.

17. Death Whisper Gems: 9/31

thanx rastor

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.