1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Irenicus' Lightning?

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by ywpark89, Dec 23, 2001.

1. ywpark89 Guest

I have 1 question. Does anybody know if it is possible to get the real short casting time disintegrate and the real fancy lightning bolt he uses in cutscenes(like it drops on their heads). If anybody can tell me, I'll be greatful

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Depends which ones do you mean. Which cutscene did you see this in?

3. AvaLance204 Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

If you want short casting time, get an Amulet of Power and a Robe of Vecna. Most spells are cast instantaneously with those.

4. Lord Sarevok Guest

Yeah, I know what you mean. He uses some vertical lightning bolt....but it doesn't have the same animation as call lightning. I don't think you can get that.

Truth is, the cutscences really don't represent a Mage's power. They made him invulnerable, gave him some hefty magic resistance, gave him improved alracity, and really short spell casting times. Without improved alracity you'll never cast spells that fast, and without loads of protections you'll never survive that long.

It's nice to think you could, and it's the reason I always play some type of mage(also because of Gorion), but you'll never become that powerful.

First time I saw that cutscene I shit my pants thinking he was going to be that powerful at the end of the game, but he wasn't...

5. AvaLance204 Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Never become that powerful? I think you've got your logic mixed up. I play a sorcerer and by the time I was in the Nine Hells, I took on Irenicus solo and beat him within a few rounds. ToB installed, of course. ;)

6. Crawl Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

I think he's saying you could never take Irenicus if you were fighting the same character as in the cutscenes. However, the Irenicus in Sundalessanar and Hell are both just plain old mages with a nice spell list and some good sequencers/contigencies + magic resistance. The Irenicus in the cutscenes was pretty much invulnerable and casted horribly empowered spells lightning quick. *That* Irenicus would have been a much tougher oponent than any of the actual Irenicus battles.

7. Deano99 Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

it's all done by scripting, so he plays lots of different 3d effects upon casting the spells.

Also, Bioware made him some special spells with low casting times and so forth, so he could get the spells off quickly.

;)

8. Satanatron Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] I believe that the "lightning effect" you are taking about is the extra graphic/lighting effect that occurs when Irenicus casts the spell "power word: kill".
    Anyone who uses the spell with their own mage will come to realise that the "lightning effect" is an Irenicus only graphic implemented by Bioware scripting as Deano99 concludes.

As AvaLance204 says, if you want fast cast times get a Vecca Robe an a Power amulet, though you wont be able to cast two discintegrate spells simulaneously on two different targets like Irenicus does in his cutscene with the Drow Matron Mother.

As for my old friend Lord Sarevok and his comments about the cutscenes not representing the true powers of a mage, I completely disagree. It is true that Irenicus wasn't too tough at the end of shadows. But if you want to fight a beefed-up "super Irenicus", an Irenicus even more powerful than the one seen in the SoA cutscenes, get David Gaider's "Ascention" mod for ToB.

It is an absolute arseing-kicking enhancement to the finale making the final battle/s more difficult and interesting as well as altering the ending sequence. In the Mod you will battle Irenicus again... and then you will know what true power is, as he has he has all of the new high level class abilities available to mages and then some - that means dragon breathe, comet, alacrity and so on. The mod is available at the sorcerer's place of course.

Oh and by the way Lord Sarevok, Gorion was a pussy. After all, low level Sarevok killed him for Christ's sake.

S

9. Lord Sarevok Guest

Bah! Gorion was pretty close too killing him. If they had implemented stoneskin and a few other spells from BG2, he would have totally mamed him.

10. Satanatron Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] Muwahahaha! Pretty close to killing to him. Hmmm, yeah right. Close but no bannana, eh?

The thing is Gorion was probably so piss weak that he probably wasnt experienced enough to have access to any decent "protection" spells. Either that or he was so dumb, senile and forgetful that that he forgot to cast them... bloody idiot he was.

S

11. Lord Sarevok Guest

I don't think Gorion was very high level. Sarevok was level 15, which is very high for BG1. Um, only good pysical protection spell in BG1 would be Mirror Image, and that wouldn't last long enough to be very effective. Oh, and notice how Gorion dies even if Sarevok doesn't hit him? Heh, maybe he had a heart attack from Sarevok's deadly gaze :).

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.