1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Npc beautification by me. High quality res. Maybe a mod?

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Sparkling_Star, Apr 6, 2007.

1. Sparkling_Star Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

[​IMG] Is my first attempt to make something for Baldurs Gate 2. Each is in hight quality and I have tired to do my best for each. Tell me what you think :) I will upload the other portraits tomorow. I have puted in hight quality for you to see that is quite good rendering. Maybe someone will help me making this a mood. Thanks.

Edit: Nevermind.

[ April 08, 2007, 18:52: Message edited by: Sparkling_Star ]

2. Midwinter Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

I think that they're coming across as pretty garish. Most of the problem is that the changes are very bright and don't really coordinate with anything. It's a good idea to think about how a picture will work as a whole - where is your focal point, your secondary point, etc. What is your colour scheme? How do your values (the lights and darks, devoid of colour) play out?

To give an example, Viconia has a pretty dull, generally cool skin with warmer, softer-coloured offsets in the skin and with the cloth. She also has very bright lips on the cold side of red, and what I think is a middle temperature bright green tiara - both the lips and tiara are fighting to be the main focal point, with the effect that the viewer's eye is left bouncing between the two. Since the base of the picture is a cool grey, offset with the softer yellow cloth, really only one high-contrast point would work, I think.

Hope that's some help!

3. Taza

Taza Weird Modmaker Veteran

On a scale from 1 to 10, I'd give it a 2.

The colours appear mismatched and blurry.

Admittedly, resembling my work back some years.
    Practice makes perfect - and you need a lot more.

4. Aegor Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Well it is a solid attempt but still needs more work. I like some details you added (the hair is done pretty well IMHO) but there are also mistakes that are too big to pass. Jaheira's picture is a bit blurry, Nalia and Viconia have one eye that is brighter than the other and Aerie's lipstick doesn't go that well with the hair highlights (which makes me sound like one of those weird fashion experts for which I apologize ;) )...

But keep trying though :) . As Taza said, practice makes perfect, and I'm looking forward to seeing these images improved.

5. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

Jaheira looks like a hooker, Viconia's not bad, Aerie looks...painful (too much bright colors), and Nalia looks like she hasn't slept in a week with those bags under her eyes (changing the eye color only draws attention to it).

Viccy's definitely the best of the lot, and I might actually use that port if it weren't so utterly out of character for her to have bright colors. Keep trying, though; aside from the choice of colors it's pretty decent.

6. Sparkling_Star Gems: 2/31

Thank you guys for your critics. I should work to improve them .About some...On Nalia is no possibly colour that will work to remove those terrible eyeleshes that she have normaly. About the colours I reconize....some are very exagereting. I should make again all of them and see what comes out (Minsc and Boo stand ready :) )

For Jaheira I will use now some brigh colours and I will remove the lipstick from Aerie. With Viconia....I will try and mantain a dark palete of coulours.

Now...I am doing Mazzy, Imoen , Yoshimo and Keldorn. I will post them after I will re-do the others. Thanks again guys. >hug<

7. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Well I really don't like too much make up on women...and these are supposed to be tough, adventurous ladies, they can not and should not have make up!

Ah and Aeire's eyes do not have any white part, they are all aqua-marine and it does not look normal IMHO.

Good job though, I am sure you have put much effort in your work. Curious about next ones, wee!

8. Sparkling_Star Gems: 2/31

Hello ladyes and gentelmans. I am back and I have made the first portraits from the beggining. All of you that saw the first ones...here are others re-made much better. Added the same blur,maching colours and more respectable ladies so no more trasy make-up. :) i hope you enoy them since I have put more work into these(many hours... :( )

Nevermind. :)

[ April 08, 2007, 18:52: Message edited by: Sparkling_Star ]

9. Elfen Lied

Elfen Lied The Bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to

hmm, not exactly my choices for color schemes. but they are ok. i prefer darker clothes, but the general face area is pretty good.

10. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

Much, much better than the first set. I've gotten so used to the originals though that I'm not sure I could take any changes. I agree with Elfen Lied about the clothes, I prefer darker clothes in the portraits. It's a pretty good job... I'm curious to see the rest.

11. Taza

Taza Weird Modmaker Veteran

The clothes are horrible and now Nalia looks like she's been up all night drinking.

Try applying the colours with a bit more of transparency.

12. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

Now they all look garish. Tone down the colors a bit.

13. Elfen Lied

Elfen Lied The Bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to

i think most of us would agree the colors are too bright and/or light for our tastes.

but the general face area is pretty good.

14. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    I do agree plus I think they wear too much make up. I can't believe that Jaheira would worry that much about make up. Why haven't you tried to enhance Imoen?

Anyway keep trying. It's easy to criticize but it's all a matter of taste in the end. And as the saying goes: practice makes perfect.

15. Sparkling_Star Gems: 2/31

Meh...easy to criticize Taza but please...if you are gonna do something good it has to be better that the usual crap as i hate them ,grade 2 from 10 and nalia loks bla bla. As much as I apreciate criticism and irony I dont think you should make use of many bad terms as i understand that you dont like my work.

On the other side...in another forum...my portrtraits are quite apreciated and users there think I have done a good job ( so everyone has diffrent tastes). I know is funny to critices and to dislike my portraits but is not my fault that Nalia is soo bad looking i cant do anything. And second I spend many hours trying diffrent coulours but still isnt good. If I put diffrent colours..is not good either. If i put machin coulours..is horrible. I presume i wont post Cernd as i am more than sure it will look like hell... and ...of course Taza will say is crap...

You said is garish?Why ?Because I put a little makeup? How am I suppose to make a diffrent portrait if I cant change anything? If the first post had a bad opinion why shouldnt all isnt it? Thanks for criticism I think I should stop this before I will cause some brain fracture to someone. ;)

16. Goli Ironhead Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Well, if you can't make it good, then how about not wasting time on it? No offense or anything, but you yourself pointed that Nalia is hard to make better. So why waste time on something like that?
    Your portraits aren't horrible, but I agree, they aren't great either.

17. Aegor Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Ok, we should probably calm down before this gets out of hand and someone ends up offended. Please remember that we are all just giving you a honest opinion about your work. I really don't think that it would help if we would lie. Yes, everyone has different tastes but still there are some things that are just screaming for attention here.

I personally like the new Nalia portrait and I will most likely include it in my current game. Aerie is also OK. But for Viconia and Jaheira I really can't say so as they look a bit out of character. Viconia is a drow Elf that's been hiding in Fearun for a while so I don't expect her to be wearing a shiny green cloak. And Jaheira is wearing something sparkling blue which really doesn't fit well with her druidic nature. Perhaps if you would consider the class and history of every character and try to make your portraits as much "In character" as possible you might get better results.

Again, I mean no offence, just trying to help you make a better mod here ;)

18. Sparkling_Star Gems: 2/31

Lets do something else and change the make up style and all.....How about Keldron? Is that ok?

Mod coming soon

[ April 10, 2007, 22:16: Message edited by: Sparkling_Star ]

19. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

I always liked him because he looked (and was) so old. You're making him younger which is not a good idea to me, but who knows what others may think.

20. Duffin Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I like the younger look (I'm not trusting an old codger with the Holy Avenger ;) ) but I'm not keen on the green top, imo you need to use less "in your face" colours with the clothing such as Viconia's cape, but apart from that they're pretty nice. Oh and maybe you could try a more metallic colour with the shades of blue on Kel's armour?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.