1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Archer powergaming: what type of bow to use?

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Klorox, Dec 5, 2003.

1. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mênu! Veteran

What do you think are the best bows to use in the game? An archer can max out ***** from the beginning of the game, and each bow tye can be found in Iriny's dungeon.

If you post a response, list 4 or 5 really good bows (don't have to be the same type) so I have a broader range to make a decision.

Danka shane!

Poll Information
    This poll contains 1 question(s). 37 user(s) have voted.
    You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Poll Results: Archer powergaming: what type of bow to use? (37 votes.)

Archer powergaming: what type of bow is best? (Choose 1)
    * Long Bow - 49% (18)
    * Short Bow - 51% (19)
    * Cross Bow - 0% (0)

2. Mayfairy Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

I haven't played ToB yet though I have it installed, so I don't know what bows are available there. Heartseeker is quite powerful longbow. I like Tansheron's bow a lot. It's a shortbow, but does not require ammunitions. It's my nr.1 golemkiller. The only bow that can hurt golems, since it does magic damage. Gesen bow is almost the same. Does not reauire arrows either, but I still prefer Tansheron's bow. Don't remember why, but Gesen bow just stood in my inventory while Tansheron's was in good use. Crossbows can do some serious damage, but somehow I don't like them.

3. casey Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Tasherions bow for me was litrally useless.
    for some reason nothing I shot at was effected or does it only work against certain creatures?

As for other bows the only one I've tried is the Gesan bow. Best used when equiped with your own arrows.

On a side note what arrows do the majority of us find the most useful? By this I don't mean it has to be what type you use the most, for example there's the never fail arrows of dispeling, probably the rarest of them but when fighting powerful mages can be a life saver.

4. Jaguar Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Veteran

Short bow by far the best. Not only is there the Gesan, but also so many other good ones that the entire party could be equiped with them.

Also, there is the Tungian bow which is really great and you can get it really early in the game.

5. Chris Williams Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Giant Hair Crossbow does 1d10 + 5 base damage. Crossbow of Speed gives an extra attack (which can be significant if you're using lightning bolts).

6. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

For range I go for damage. So I like giant hair, strong arm and heartseeker. Best arrrows in game are arrows of piercing that do insane amounts of damage.

7. Chris Williams Gems: 9/31

These do 1d6 + 6 damage, but the target is allowed a save vs. death to avoid the extra damage. Bolts of Lightning do 1d8 (1d10 from heavy xbow) + 4d4 electrical damage with a save vs. breath weapons for half damage. Even if the target makes its save vs. the lightning damage you're still talking an average of +5 to the base damage. Together with the extra damage from an xbow bolt, Bolts of Lightning do as much damage when the target makes its save as Arrows of Piercing when the target fails. Given that breath is the least favourable saving throw, Bolts of Lightning have a good chance of doing an extra +5 damage on top.

8. Mayfairy Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Arrows/bolts of biting are also quite useful. Just one shot at enemy mage and he won't fire any spell for a time.
    Btw, am I the only one who doesn't like/use/understand darts?

9. Malovae Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

I've always carry arrows of dispelling (life saver), normal arrows to attack the most enemies and acid arrows for hitting enemies who need enchanted weapons - and never had any poblems with the game. If you need to hit enemies that require a better enchantment, use the +5 sling from Joluv's store for a while.

10. Spelladonna Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Short bows all the way for me. I'm a huge fan of the Tuigan Bow as you get 3 shots/round. Couple that with Called Shot and you're gonna do some real damage.

As for arrows, I try to get the Quiver of Plenty as quickly as possible and have Cespenar upgrade it once I start ToB. Short of that, I try to keep a small supply of arrows of dispelling, arrows of biting, and arrows of detonation. I really don't see any reason for the plain arrows once I get the quiver of plenty.

11. Evil Dad Gems: 15/31

It has to be longbows all the way. Shortbows are the realm of thiefs. Your archer can use any bow, so should be using a big powerful composite longbow. Yes, you can get an extra attack with a certain shortbow, but, as an archer your number of attacks will improve as you go up levels as well as thac0, so you will hit often and the extra damage from the best composite longbows should kill the enemy quicker than any shortbow.

12. Mystra's Chosen Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

I would highly recommend getting the Weimer Item Upgrade Mod. You can get a Long Bow called Telemortis that is +4 and makes it's own +4 arrows. That would definately be very lethal with an Archer. I'm using it with Minsc right now.

You need the Heartseeker, a Potion of Power and 4 Laeryls (or whatever) Tear necklaces and it doesn't cost any gold.

Hint: If you find a Potion of Power, hold on to it!

13. Tassadar Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

Short bow of Gesen for me. Hits anything, and the electric damage is killer on mages with combat protections. Use arrows of biting for more damage. Mazzy and this bow were made for each other. I am sure an archer would really cause problems with it.

14. Klorox

As much as I want to start off my archer now, and run in with [*****] in short bow, there's only one thing making me hesitate, and please LMK if I'm being silly for being hung up on this issue:

I plan on using Jan, Imoen, and Keldorn in my party.

Keldorn will cover any good Crossbows I come across. Imoen will cover any good shortbows. I plan on eventually sticking Jan with a shortbow as well, as there seem to be many good ones out there.

Since my other two party members will be Anomen and Jaheira, there's left nobody in my party to use a Long Bow. That's the only thing making me thing twice about the issue.

15. Strifestrike Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Keldorn should never ever use a cross bow! Ever! Keldorn should always always always be equipped with 2 handed sword.

As for jan and imoen, jan has no prof in short bows if i recall correctly... he has it in xbows, so give him xbow and be done with that. To further add to that, imoen and jan are both mages, they should definetely be using spells more often than firing projectiles. Gesen does not belong in eithers hand, it will miss often if they carry it and basically suck when it shouldnt.

Personally I dont like to get grand mastery, it seems a waste to me. When I created my archer I chose versatility over pure power specified to one weapont type. I picked up 2 stars in slings, and 2 stars in long bow and 2 stars in short bow. I used sling up until under dark really, with that sling sold to you by joluv. Then i picked up gesens soon as i got outta underdark. In the mean while as I leveled i maxed out long bow. by the time I hit oasis I got myself the ass kicking Talarash.

16. Klorox

That's pretty cool, Strifestrike.

I've started the game already, with grandmastery in Longbows (for the reasons listed above). I think I might just sink all future proficiencies into Shortbow.

I plan on giving Jan a point in Shortbows when the opportunity arises. IMHO, there are just so many really good Shortbows, and just a few decent Light Crossbows. The best Crossbows are of the Heavy type, and Keldorn is already specialized in them. I don't plan on him using his Heavy Crossboe often, but there's a few times he uses it.

17. casey Gems: 15/31

@ Strife:
    Keldorn is actually very good at disrupting mages with the xbow, so as a last resort option when all your other characters are tied up trying not to die and there is a hig level mage about to time stop Keldorn will have a good chance of stoping it with th xbow so don't disclude him complety from ranged weapons :thumb:

Arrows of dispeling are very valuable against mages like Irenicus, only problem is there very rare, the most you can get that I know of are 36-41 (5 from Spellhold, 6 from Mage stronghold quest #2, 20 for killing the Black dragon in hell and more from WK) if you play an evil Mage or Sorcerer anyone know of more?

Also anyone ever use there Archer in Melee? the only penaltys the Archer class gets is only 1 * in Melee weapons and can only wear studded leather at best, but there's the White Dragon Scale in WK that has an AC rating of -2, casts Cone of cold x3 a day and gives 50% cold resistance.

18. Chris Williams Gems: 9/31

You can get a couple of sheafs of Arrows Of Dispelling from the fletchers in Waukeen's Promenade.
    All the blooming time. I like my PC to lead the party. This meant that the Archer I tried playing was forever getting meleed, to the extent that I gave up.

19. Klorox

So far my archer is working out well. He's not totally munched out or anything, and he's a lot of fun.

I went for longbows, and am currently using the Elven Court bow (or something like that), which is a +3 or 4 bow.

I don't like going into melee with him, and my only melee weapon is the sword of Chaos (the one from the genie in Irenicus' dungeon). I rarely use it, but with an 18/32 strength, I'm still decent when I need to be. I've also go a slot in Two handed weapon style, and my next slot will either be in Halberds or Quarterstaves -- I haven't decided which (both have good 'reach,' meaning I can attack from behind another party member if need be).

I avoid melee by using the party formation that looks like a circle, with the proagonist in the middle.

20. casey Gems: 15/31

Does two weapon style make any difference for ranged attacks or just melee?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.