1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Charming Glaicas in De'Arnise keep

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by kuemper, May 7, 2006.

1. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Has anyone ever been able to Charm the head guard into giving up the flail head? I can never do it, but according to Dan Simpson's w/t, it is possible.

Sort of related - I read UB has a new update and Andyr mentioned something concerning this guard guy (I think). Does the latest UB 'fix' this always having to kill him? Can he now be talked to with Nalia in the party?

EDIT: Changed the thread title for searching purposes. :)

[ May 08, 2006, 14:41: Message edited by: kuemper ]

2. Gregor Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I was able to do it ONCE, out of god knows how many tries. Supposedly, it was a bug fixed as of the LAST UB (at least, I know I read about it in ONE of the Read Mes of some pack/tweak), but he's still broken as far as I can tell.

I once devoted over an hour to trying to hit just the right combination of hit/pause/start to get him to talk, but had to give up. This is probably the single most frustrating remaining bug in the game for me.

3. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

Charm, dispel. Works every time.

4. Andyr Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

The option was bugged in the original game--there was a chance of Charming him not working, because of the spells used in the game scripting. UB (and the upcoming G3 BG2 Fixpack) fix this so it should work.

5. kuemper Gems: 31/31

Unless he makes his save. :rolleyes: I tried Charm, Dire Charm, nymph cloak charm; nothing.

6. Felinoid

Well, yeah. You do have to reload if the charm doesn't work. But that doesn't happen often because his save vs. spells is only 13 (though the rest are 4 or 5). You can also try the Staff of Command; it's pretty automatic.

7. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

Charm never worked for me, but Hold Person works wonders. I held him, and sent Korgan in. With Korgan, Edwin, and Kelsey, he died in seconds (I love those magic missiles :p )

8. Thunder Gems: 7/31

The trick isn't killing hi, but to remove the charm the yuanti have placed on him. I usually try the ring of human influence, and if that doesn't work hack him to bits.

9. Silverstar Gems: 31/31

Veteran

Add a greater malison, a doom spell, and charm him via ring of human influence. Worked %90 time for me. But he has a nice plate mail and good potions, so killing him is not that bad option, plus Nalia won't cry for his demise.

10. kuemper Gems: 31/31

Well, the bait I use to get his attention gets sick of being hacked by his sword, which means death for the guard.

So, what's the difference if you can uncharm him?

11. Felinoid

9500 XP for killing him versus 22,550 XP for uncharming him.

12. starwalker Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

And this is part of Unfinished business or just the un-modded game? I always wondered if there was a way to get that thing without killing him but was always too lazy to try.

13. Felinoid

It's part of the unmodded game. Though I've never had any trouble with it (even without mods), apparently some have.

14. Hethan the Skald Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Veteran

Before reading the walkthrough, I never even knew he was supposed to be charmed back, because every time I got near the room he's at, Nalia didn't give me the dialogue which tells me what to do. Either that or she wouldn't be in the party.

15. starwalker Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

I always just got some thing about him going traitor and attacking me with haste on. I never even tried to get rid of a charm spell on him.

I'll have to try that in my next game I think.

16. Gregor Gems: 7/31

It's a bit tricky...you have to get Nalia in his line of sight before he starts talking. If I'm going to try the charm trick, I usually send her in first, followed closely by my PC.

The problem for me - and, I think, Kuemper - isn't charming him, it's that when the charm wears off, he's still "red". In the Dan Simpson w/t, it says you need to charm him, then hit him ONCE. Then, there will supposedly be a VERY short interval where he switches from green to blue to red. The trick is to click on him when he's blue; supposedly then he'll be UNcharmed (by anybody) and he'll give you the flail head (and the extra XP).

It didn't seem clear from Andyr's post what exactly is "fixed" about this encounter. Has it been fixed so that when you charm him, he'll turn blue when the charm wears off, instead of red? Or has it just been fixed so that you can easily charm him (which was never really a problem)? :confused:

@ Fel:

I never tried charm -> dispel. I'll have to give that a go in the next run-through. If it works, I'll be exceedingly distraught over all the time I've wasted. :(

17. kuemper Gems: 31/31

Send Nalia in?!? Hell, I thought she needed to just be in the party, not talk to the guy! :doh:

What would make it easier is, if Nalia is in the party, have her go into that room. He'll give his speech, but, because he recognizes her, he shrugs off the Charm. Or maybe she casts Dispel Magic on him. Badda-boom, badda-bing; he's alive and we get a flail head.

Well, I won't get to try any this time. Nalia is not in my overall party plans.

18. Gregor Gems: 7/31

That WOULD be nice, as I hate killing innocent guards, even if they're charmed to kill ME, although I wouldn't really want it to be an automatic thing.

@ Fel:

Just ran through the encounter with the charm -> dispel bit this time. Still no joy. :( I charmed him and he went green, then I dispelled him, and he went immediately red. And Nalia DID give her "he must be charmed!" rant. What EXACTLY do you do that "works every time"?

19. Drew

Drew Arrogant, contemptible, and obnoxious Adored Veteran

Media:
    Just charm him. Skip the dispelling bit, since it isn't actually necessary. Glacias talks to you and leaves after you charm him, so there isn't any reason to worry about the duration running out.

20. Gregor Gems: 7/31

He doesn't talk to ME when I charm him. He doesn't do anything. He stands there all green until the spell duration expires, then he goes back to red and attacks.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.