1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Best feature of the BG series

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Arek, Nov 7, 2001.

1. Arek Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

BG will no doubt affect how crpgs are designed in the future. I think the most lasting component will be the more fully fleshed out NPCs who have spontaneous interactions with each other.

2. Tina2 Gems: 3/31

The romances. In the future romances will be a must for CRPGs.

3. Lokken Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Veteran

indeed the romances, I was very suprised by the interaction that lead to romance when I played. I hadn't read anything about the game either so it was complete surprise. And it added so much to the feel of actually being that character you played.

4. wittynewt Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Hi,

My vote is for the npc character development in all its forms, the depth is staggering.
    The romances, the conversational interactions between pc and npcs and especially the npc to npc interactions. It gives each of the npcs a living quality.
    It allows you to bond with them, either in a negative or positive way.

Cheers,

WittyNewt

5. Arek Gems: 3/31

I kinda liked the quest items (sure it was a pain carrying around that jewel thingy for the equalizer most of the game and ending up with a pretty mediocre weapon but it was soooooo rewarding when you finally got the Crom Faeyr together.

6. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

The romances are indeed great. Another thing is the weapon forging. I didn't see that much till now but it is great that you can find several parts of one weapon at several places and can be forced into one good weapon again.

7. Satanatron Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] The romances?! What is wrong with you guys?! are you men or mice... hehehe.

Yeah, I liked the depth of the character development. The kits were great (well, most of them). The variety of classes and groups formations made by different class combinations was really exciting.

I liked Irenicus too. Great personality with a great voice. Bad-arsed powerful spell caster. Played an integral part of the plot, at least in SoA (plz dont falme me for writting this in this board). I loved it how he made those "cameo" type appearences throughout the game. He has got to be one of the greatest all-time bad guys in a video game.

S

8. Tassadar Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

the customisation and as said above, the npc interaction and romances made the game much more replayable than icewind dale

now all they need is a button so that cut scenes can be skipped

9. Firestorm

Firestorm Beeep, Beeep, ERROR Veteran

They do, its called "Space-button" :D

10. HunterByNite Gems: 1/31

I really like the scripts available for your characters (I hate babysitting unless I'm soloing).

And oh, everytime I gain a new above-level-3 spell for my Fighter/Cleric, I would give a loud hearty cheer!

Man, this game just uses additional spells as effective baits for you to continue building up your character and I love it even though I've become a sucker for it!

11. kingsgambit Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

I think it's fantastic just how different the game can turn out depending on how you play. Depending on who you have in your party, and what class your main pc is, what weapons you use, whether you're good or evil, spells you cast and which quests you take on, the game can turn out *totally* different each time. The customisability of npcs with different weapons, spels and armours, means two people fight the same fight in a completely different way. So many possibilities....
    Then there's the romances ;)

[This message has been edited by kingsgambit (edited November 17, 2001).]

12. Brightblade Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

[​IMG] Everything. Weapon forging, have not sen it to that extent in any other CRPG. Romances, other programers "what do you mean, what is this romace thing you speak of?" npc developement i havent seen to this extent. the compat is good too. :)

13. Demonater351 Guest

I personally like the Journal. Instead of keeping pen and paper handy to write down stuff I might wanna remember, I can just type in the Journal and access it when I need it. Instead of searching high and low to find my notes when I lose them, I just press the button, and there they are!

14. Lord Sarevok Guest

[​IMG] Hmm.....I loved the NPC interaction but I didn't find the romances that great. I mean they were good, but this is a computer game guys!

15. Tina2 Gems: 3/31

The strongholds ! How could I forget them ! Those little quests and stuff you had to do, a place for yourself, something to take care of ! Made the game even more replayable, with another class etc.

16. The DMage Gems: 3/31

I think a nice thing actually is the way you're able to place markers on the map, and how the huge city is markered out for you. I remember in BG and sometimes in IWD:

"Hmmmmm.... Where is that guy who wants this again??"

17. saukoon Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I prefer the weapon forging and stronghold.

Although romance is nice but it's so fragile that one single mistake can cause your gf to go away!! :o

18. HunterByNite Gems: 1/31

Which is exactly like real-life romance, eh?

How.....realistic.

19. Lord Sarevok Guest

20. Enthasius Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

You really have to play pen and papaer Ad&d before you can truly appreciate how useful the Npc's are and how depthed some of them are. As a DM, I get tired of having to sort out everything, and the people playing dont have enough experience to become a DM, so being able to play BG, BG ToSC, BGII SoA and BGII ToB, and just going with the flow of the advanced Baldurs Gate 2, Throne of Bhaal's npc character depth is a breath of fresh air.

But basically all the features are cool.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.