1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Better Beholder Squishing?

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Rudiger, Nov 8, 2004.

1. Rudiger Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Now normally I like a bit of cheese.
    But the Shield of Balduran/Cloak of Mirroring methods of puncturing the blimps is too boring.

This time round I had my solo F/T
    hide, shoot, retreat, hide, repeat.
    using arrows of bitting to bring the gas bags down in a reasonably short time.

What I'm wondering is how to take them down with classes that can't hide? Or more and better ways to kill 'em with those that can?

Oh and does blinding them (the Beholders) stop them doing their magical Gatling gun thing?

2. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I used hide, followed by fireball and holy smite but as that tactic also uses hiding I'm probably not answering your question. If I try and attack a beholder without hiding first, I get zapped in seconds.

3. Blog Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

I've tried just charging in with boots of speed and charging out when hit points get down to around 50. In this case you really have to be satisfied when an uninjured beholder goes down to barely injured.

4. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    I just use my tank with the most magic resistance and magical protections to charge them and start hacking away with the biggest, most damaging weapon I have. Then I send a cleric in right behind them to cast healing spells when needed.

But when you stumble on to a group of Elder Orbs, 2-3 Beholders, and 2-3 Gauths, then Shield of Balduran/Cloak of Mirroring is all you have! :rolling:

5. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Last time round I had my monk do most of the Beholder squishing. That class get an obscene amount of magic resistance and with a few items you are pretty soon up to 100%.

6. Eric Xanthus Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Yeah, Viconia and Solaufein both do the same thing. Biting becomes an issue, though (or is that just Tactics?).

7. Jaguar Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Veteran

No, the biting occurs in regular game play once all or at least most of the beholders' spells are used.

Not really that great of an attack, compared to most.

8. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    It is indeed Tactics. The modders started off with a simple bite whenever the Beholders noticed that their spell-like abilities weren't working. But ... a powerful enough fighter could simply wear the cloak or shield and waste them anyway.

The poison bite is the latest attempt to put some 'fang' into the Beholders.

9. Rudiger Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Thanks all.

I think that the next time I've got a high level full party I'll buff up the tanks, then have them charge while my principle mage starts casting time stop.

About the tactical poison bite thing, wouldn't it have been better to nerf the cloak and shield rather than give extra abilities to the beholders?

10. Nightal Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

In my solo-sorcerer game...

Impr. Invis.
    Time stop
    2x Abi Dalzim's
    Chain Lightning

Then watch them al die...

11. Scythe Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Mislead is all you need. No challenge at all!

12. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

There's an easier way: Balduran's Shield.

13. Geoff Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

lol.. the whole point of the thread is to develop ways of killing beholders without using the Shield of the Baldurian.

14. Valer Gems: 7/31

Yes, mislead and lots of fireballs and cloud kills.

But my F/M/T likes just discovering the area hiden, than go out of the sight range, and fire a cloud kill into the fog. While the cloud is approaching the targeted area I can hide again... To make the aiming more simple just leave someting on the floor as a target... While the cloud of kill is doing the dirty work you can attack another bunch of beholders.

15. angryguy Gems: 7/31

Wizard slayer. High MR makes their spells worthless, and the spell failure can kick in to protect a party. Not even a challenge.

16. Geoff Gems: 6/31

Wizard slayers don't have as high a magic resistance as monks, or even paladins with the Holy Avenger.

17. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mĂȘnu! Veteran

Wiz Slayer dualled to thief w/ UAI, weilding Carsomyr.

Happy now? :p ;)

18. Deathbringer Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I usually wait until I get Skeletal warriors before doing the unseeing eye. If you don't use the shield or cloak, it is the hardest fight in Athkatla. I think It is much harder than even Kangexx or the Twisted Rune.

19. Geoff Gems: 6/31

Haha Klorox! :p Too bad that, if you've got enough xp for UAI, you could probably squish the beholders anyways.

20. NonSequitur Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

@ Klorox: After you hit ToB levels (ie: you're probably soloing) the Wizard Slayer's MR skyrockets.

@ Deathbringer: I still think that ****er Alhoon in the sewers is a colossal pain in the backside. I'll take Gauths and Beholders over Ulitharids any day of the week.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.