1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Solo BG1 through ToB

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Modjahed, Aug 29, 2001.

1. Modjahed Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Well, this is a very small update on my solo MC/RC running from BG1 to ToB.

I am in SoA now, but having around 4.000.000 Exp (lvl 19/15) and a half-dozen special abilities it's not for a SoA forum.

I am finishing up Chapter 6. What I wanted to share is that the char becomes so powerful it scares me.
    I rested in Athkatla and then did the Umar Hills Quest, the Shadow Dragon, and the Planar Sphere without resting. When fighting the Shadow Dragon I didn't even take the wardstone, and charged it head on without any preparation. I didn't take a single point of damage, and killed the Dragon in less than a turn.

I am heading to the WK tomorrow, so I will give another update in a coupla days.

2. kevlar0101 Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

hmz, just wait until you start ToB :D it wont go easy solo ;)

3. IronEagle Gems: 13/31

i agree, ive had to go with a minimum of 3 just because there are so many differnt ambush situations theres no time for spells in the mean time.

4. kevlar0101 Gems: 13/31

I tried it with a wizard, quickly added a few members to my team

5. Big B Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

But did you try it with a character like Modjahed's? One that's imported from BG1? I'd say a character who has legit equipment and experience stands a better chance than one created just for ToB.

6. Modjahed Gems: 14/31

Update.

My solo MC/RC is well over in ToB.

Demogorgon is dead, Jon Irenicus (puny mageling) is dead, Gromnir is Dead, I am battlign the Fire Giants now.

Now to the char:

Modjahed, Neutral Good Half-Elf Ranger/Cleric, level 25/21

177 HP, AC -10

STR 21 (+1 from Tome in BG1,+1 from Lum the Mad, +1 from Symbol of Lathander, 25 with Crom)
    DEX 19 (+1 Tome, +1 Lum, -1 Hell)
    CON 20
    INT 12
    WIS 22
    CHA 11

His initial roll was 18,18,18,11,18,8, total of 91

THAC0 is -14/-11, 4 attacks per round, 126 Stealth (never use, because have some 20 potions of Invisibility), acial enemy - Demonic/Fell.

Saving Throws - below Zero.

Proficiencies - all a cleric wants, plus Two Handed Weapons and THStyle (for the Staff of Ram).

Resistances: Fire - 20, Cold - 70, Electric - 20, Missile - 25, Magic Damage - 50, Magic - 35.

The char was maxed out in level in Chapter 6 of SoA (on the bottom level of WK), and received a total of 20!! High Level Abilities.

Now some battle reflections and *SPOILERS*.

For the first time my char's butt was kicked by the Chromatic Demon. I had to redo considerably my spell memorizations and after two tried I have beaten him quite easily. The char is nothing - TACTICS is everything.
    THe second time my butt was kicked by the final guardians, it took me some four reloads to beat them.
    The process of beating Demogorgon went much faster: I killed it easily from the second try. I am sure that I would be able to beat even 2 DG at a time.

*MAJOR BATTLE SPOLER* Mage and Cleric high level spell "Energy blades" bring the defences of DG VERY, VERY fast. It is, I think, the fastest protection remover with the exception of "Spellstrike".
    *END OF SPOILER*

I plan to download the improved version of the DG for my next run through.

Now the last thing: MC chars ROCK. And ROLL!
    Fighter abilities are just awesome.

7. Big B Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

[​IMG] I like energy blades, but I am curious, how do they remove Spell Protections? Do you mean taking things like Stoneskin and Mirror Image down? Or taking spells like Mantle or Protection from Magical Weapons down? Because I understand how they could dispense of Stoneskin and Mirror Image quickly, but the others?

8. Modjahed Gems: 14/31

I have been startled myself, Big B.

I ran to the top of the stairs in the DG's lair, and two Mariliths were downstairs, so they didn't take part in the fight.

It MIGHT be, that 4 or 5 combat rounds (duration for the Improved mantle, Immunity, etc.) have already passed, but I think it was earlier than that.

I had a full set of energy blades (25 of them), and when you have them, your number of attacks is set to 9 per round. I started firing those blades like a minigun :D and when I had 6 of them left (two rounds passed) the DG started taking damage! I hit him for around 40 damage with the remaining disks.
    Then the disks were over, and I had to run around a bit to heal and cast another Stoneskin. After that I used my Whirlwind and Critical Strike, and DG went down.

And, by the way, in my previous post I forgot to say that I play on the Insane mode.

[This message has been edited by Modjahed (edited September 02, 2001).]

9. Caliban Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Hmm, I would be interested in doing a BG thru ToB run... I only wish that BG1 had some of the cool character kits that BG2 has, so that I might experience the power of say... a level 30+ monk, or kensai/mage.

I wonder if it is possible to be a mage until BG2, then dual to mage/kensai?

Anyone have an answer to that?

-Caliban

10. Modjahed Gems: 14/31

Just another small comment.

Yaga-Shura is taost, and I didn't find it hard at all. He was Near Death before he could escape and return with a bigger army, and after that he died in two rounds.

I also completed my second challenge and I am in Amkethran now.

I am pretty sure that this run through is going to be my last "powergaming" game, because I am relatively bored by the kickass of my character.

Next time I will DL the improved DG, Balthazar, Yaga-Shura and Abazigal and try to roleplay one fun party that I have in mind.

[This message has been edited by Modjahed (edited September 05, 2001).]

11. Caine Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Went solo my self bg2-ToB kensai dueled to mage but couldv'e done it with normal kensai

12. Lokken Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Veteran

I really think you should download those files Modjahed, the fights are very entertaining to play, especially the Abazigal fight, damn it was cool :D

13. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

[​IMG] Excellent postings Modjahed!

I totally agree that multiclass characters rock in ToB. Characters stop improving around level 20-25 and this is where mc characters end up. Twice as many high level abilities compared to single class is another great advantage.

So Modjahed, what are you up to now? :wave:

14. Maertyn

Maertyn There's nothing I cannot embrace! Veteran

15. Modjahed Gems: 14/31

:wave: , Earl Grey!

Where I'm now? Getting my driver's license. :coffee: . I haven't played my BG2 for almost two weeks :wail:.

I will try to resume playing this savegame as soon as possible, since my other party (Folko & Co.) failed their quest :sosad:

16. Caleb_Eveningfall Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I played through a good portion of TOB solo with my kick butt conjurer. It all about the Staff of the Magi.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.