1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: 2nd Round - NPC Elimination

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Aldeth the Foppish Idiot, May 23, 2003.

1. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

If you take away Boo then i don't see why you shouldn't take away the romance with Jaheira aswell, will you still think as much of her then?
    Boo and Minsc are one just like Jaheira and her romance are.

2. Jurts Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Are you saying that Minsc and Boo can have a romance too? :rolleyes:

3. Bombur

Bombur I'm always last and I don't like it

I like Jaheira, but she's nowhere near the most powerful character in the game just because she hits 9th level as a druid. She has decent stats overall, but she doesn't excel in anything. Being a druid holds her back as a fighter, as does her low strength. And druids only have a handful of good spells in the first place. Sure she can avoid getting hit by the first few attacks, but so can any mage of less than half that level. And in general, single-classed characters are more powerful than dual classed characters at lower levels.

On another topic, we're not talking about a "misconception," we're talking about different judgments, different tastes in gaming, etc. Please try to be a bit more polite.

4. Eze Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

E vs I: Imoen is whiny and annoying. Edwin is cool, knows spells and is funny.
    V vs A: Aerie is a whiny chicken, while Viconia is tough. Vic is my choice.
    K vs S: Sar is tough. Sar is evil. Sar has a big sword. Put me in the Bhaalspawn camp.
    J v M: Minsc. Nothing in this world would make me vote for Jaheira. GO BOO!

5. Jurts Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

She gets Ironskins at this level - what it means for a fighter type char is self-explanatory. She takes only very few hits from here to the fight with Mellisan.

Yup, she's solid in everything.

Hmph. Pick up a STR belt and never look back. Her Thac0 advances slower than for single class fighters, but not by much - she never has the problem of hitting things in my games (try Harm with her - she practically never wastes). Number of attacks is what the Belm scimitar is for, greatest off-hand weapon you could imagine. And when she get the Fighter HLA's... oh, my...

Those selected few spells can make or break a battle. I cannot imagine playing without Insect Plague or Nature's Beauty, Ironskins and Fire Elementals... druids own clerics by far in my book.

Do not understand the statement. Why compare her and a mage? What is a mage doing in melee? With Ironskins and her DEX score, nothing gets through Jaheira's armor.

And the reasons for that would be? Multiclassed chars are more versatile and require a very careful planning and some investment, but they have a much, MUCH greater potential as any single class character.

*shrug* The statement that Jaheira only becomes powerful at level15 in druid class *is* a common misconception. As for playing styles - they do differ, yes.

6. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Just FYI, you are getting way off topic. This is a popularity contest, not a fighting contest.

7. 14 Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Jaheira is just a good character, but not ultra-powerful. As a fighter she is not a tank even with iron skin. As a spell caster she has too few spells. Insect plague and ironskin are nice, but pity they are on the same level. And Jaheira level up way too slowly, she won't have a good save throw nor good Thac0 (both of them take ages to reach sub zero)and she will never use a good weapon.
    Maybe by the end she is as good as anyone, you have see the game as a whole, at least for the entire SoA, she is just OK, not great. BGII is a difficult game, there is no one at only level 9 can be 'invincible'.

[ May 27, 2003, 03:19: Message edited by: 14 ]

8. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

@ Jurts
    That would be ... interesting.
    What i was saying is thaty should you not include Boo if you include Jaheira's romance. Jaheira and her romance go together right? they're one in the same (i think thats the saying?). Just like Boo and Minsc.

... Although i do think that the poll should be Boo not Minsc.

9. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Wow! I never thought that the matchup of Jaheira and Minsc would cause such controversy. I think the problem comes from the fact that Jaheira is a love her or hate her character. There is no one who is neutral in their views of Jaheira. But to answer the question of whether or not Boo is included in the Minsc character, yes of course he is! I asked people to vote for anything they like about the character from gameplay, personality, quotes, etc. Outside of actual gameplay, Boo is an integral part of who Minsc is. Where would Minsc be without Boo? It's part of the attraction of his character. While not implicitly stated, I certainly intended that people would factor Boo into the equation when voting for Minsc.

10. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    I don't know why everyone keeps making such a big deal over this. Either decide to vote for a bald, stupid guy with a hamster...or a hot elf chick. The results should be unanimous for Jaheira!

BTW, when will the poll be closed? :rolling:

11. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    My thoughts exactly. It warms my spirit to see another SPer who sees Jaheira the same way. Alas, a tragedy is about to occur in that Jaheira (beautiful both without and within) is about to lose to that stupid bald guy (albeit a pretty nice stupid bald guy).

But when I think about, popularity is never a big thing for Jaheira (if at all). She speaks her own mind, based on her own convictions about what is right, and if the world at large hates her for it, so be it. No mincing of words, no sparing of feelings if she's gotta say it. I'm sort of drawing consolation from the fact that the poll result is, in a way, a reflection on her integrity.

12. Gavin de Valge Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

[​IMG] Edwin v. Imoen - Edwin, no contest. Imoen always bothered me.

Viconia v. Aerie - Aerie, very hard contest. Suffice is to say Viconia, a great character,
    loses to Aerie, also a great character, because I fear that Aerie will not have enough votes. I also think that Aerie is a good example of LG alignment, and Viconia not as good an example of NE.

Keldorn v. Sarevok - Very difficult; they are my two favorite male NPCs. Sarevok is slightly more interesting because he is not the stereotypical bad guy gone good.

Minsc v. Jaheira - Minsc, not because of Boo, but because Jaheira doesn't seem to like my characters. Although Boo was a nice touch. ;)

13. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    @Kitrax

On Friday, which coincidentally, is when the next poll will start, with the remaining four NPC's.

14. Rotku

58 votes in and the score is as follows:
    Edwin /Imoen = 29 / 29
    This ones close.
    Go Imoen, you can beat him!!!

Viconia / Aerie = 31 / 27
    Another close one.
    Ow, Aerie still has a chance.

Keldorn / Sarevok = 23 / 35
    I would say Sarevok pretty much one this one, aye?
    What are you people doing voteing for Sarevok.

Jaheria / Minsc = 21 / 37
    Now this is better. Minsc and his hamster Boo have certainly won this one :) .

15. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    I still think Aerie is way hotter!

If Vikky beats Aerie it will probably be because Vikky is the only evil woman NPC in the game and everyone who ever wanted a well bananced good/evil party will probably vote for her over Aerie. :mad:

/End rant :rolling:

16. Eze Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

YES! Woo hoo. Go Minsc. Go Minsc.

Jaheira is NOT hot. If I was a guy and could choose from the chickies, I would choose Viconia.

17. christopher_c_pitzer Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Imoen - She's much hotter than Edwin, plus he is such a wuss, I can see Imoen smacking his teeth out.

Vicky - Simply to hot for Aerie. All you other guys out there know it and that is why she will win.

Sarevok - Played ToB only once, but I know that this guy rocks big time. Besides, Keldorn's only good quality is that he is an Inquisitor, other than that, he blows as a fighter.

Minsc - Fighter wise, no contest. Minsc simply kicks butt in this one (which is why I voted for him). Druid wise, Jaheria wins out. But I do not really care for druids, never got into them when I played. She is way hotter than Minsc, so that did play a small part, but in the end, I just do not like her.

18. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    @ Pitzer

Of course Jaheira is hotter than Minsc. Perhaps one small reason for this would be that MINSC IS A MAN!

19. Bassilus Banned

This is flawed from the start!

Cernd is a better druid than Jaheira, she was probably only picked because of her rabid fanboys!

Jan is a better mage AND thief than Imoen!
    How does it stand?

And Edwin is EASILY the best mage NPC!

20. Rotku

Personally, I've never really liked Edwin. And Cerned and Jan may be better at what they do but it's not just that this poll is on if you havn't read the previous posts.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.