1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Flail of Ages +3 or Celestial Fury +3?

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Klorox, Sep 29, 2004.

1. Eric Xanthus Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Lucky I saw that "assuming all attacks hit" bit snuck in near the end, or I was going to have to be a real jerk to you about your minimum values. :)

2. Deathbringer Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

[​IMG] I think the Flail of the Ages is much better. It does depend on your PC's class though. Say if your an assassin I would go with the Celestial Fury hands down, but for any fighter related class or priest I would definately go with the Flail. Here is why...
    Celestial fury is awesome for backstabs and mages. They don't directly hurt some creatures but they will stun most allowing you to then do damage.
    Now, when you talk about the Flail you should remember these advantages that put it in a class way above the Celestial fury.
    It slows everything. On the toughest opponents the Celestial fury's stun never works.
    It has elemental damage the CF does not.
    It can be upgraded to +5 while the CF can not.
    It damages everything (even +5 creatures when upgraded) while the CF does not.
    It can provide free-action while the CF can not.
    These advantages compared to the stun effect that never works when I need it most, definate tells me to go with the flail. Now in the off hand I wouldn't use the CF. I would go with the Belm +2 for extra flail attacks.
    Who was it that said the Flail doesn't work? You obviously don't use it enough to know. Only one weapon comes close to the flail IMO and that's the Carsomyre which I consider a toss-up. It would depend on how fast your opponent can put up stoneskins. Normally a good fighter can take down stoneskins and disrupt spellcasting with the flail and a off hand weapon while hasted/GWW, before a mage can finish one decent spell. I usually would only consider the Carsomyre better when trying to get a real high MR. Anyway I'm getting a little off topic here. Sometimes I like to use the CF just cause I think it looks pretty and has cool special visual effects.

a quote "I think a strong argument can be made that additional attacks are outweighed by a huge strength bonus."
    Remember though few ppl really care about the raw damage. Most go for the specials, and a stunned or slowed opponent has penalties and accords you bonuses that outweigh any str. bonuses IMO. Mages can't cast spells, monsters not only have a hard time hitting you but they can only attack half as much. This helps you in several ways not counting the fact that you will hit more often when your opponent is slowed or stunned. First if your opponent is stunned or slowed they can attack less than half as much as normal so you live more than twice as long and can do twice as much damage. Second a slowed or stunned creature has a hard time chasing you giving you the opportunity to run away and heal. Third a stunned or slowed opponent has penalties to thaco meaning not only will he attack less but actually hit you way less than half as much. getting a little long here so I will let it rest unless someone would like more of my opinions

[ October 30, 2004, 04:45: Message edited by: Deathbringer ]

3. NonSequitur Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

@ Klorox:

Off the assumption that all attack will hit, then yes, dual-wielding Crom is far better than using Belm. However, there are two reasons why Belm is a better off-hand weapon.

1. More attacks = more chances to trigger the stun effect. A stunned opponent will be struck automatically. This of course is countered somewhat by the huge bonus that Crom gives to hit, but by the time you can get Crom, you probably have an effective THACO of below zero, and a roll of 1 will always miss anyway. Plus, you will be able to equip the Girdle of Frost Giant Strength (that you haven't used to forge Crom) to have STR 21.

2. Role-playing reasons - katana + scimitar/wakizashi makes sense; katana + war hammer is the ultimate cultural clash, IMO.

Yes, I know... :yot:

4. Deathbringer Gems: 2/31

May be a clash but noone is using the belm or CF because they are swords. They only use them for the specials.

5. people person-i eat people Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Well i have Tactics installed and have both De'Arnisse Keep improved and the Guarded Compound improved, so it is both quite hard to obtain both Celestial Fury and the Flail of Ages, because damn Tor'Gal has the last head!
    IMO though i like Celestial Fury better because of its stun and lightning damage and i just plan like katanas.

6. Deathbringer Gems: 2/31

Well, when the stun actually does work it is better than slow. But I find, it only fails to work when I need it most. ie. fighting Melisan. Durring SOA I think the CF is better, but when you get to TOB it isn't. You have used up proficiencies you could have spent on other weapons. I like to save all my proficiencies for dualing flail and belm. Maybe a point or two on the mace just for the undead.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.