1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

High Natural Ability Scores

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Rogue Paladin, Jul 15, 2004.

1. Rogue Paladin Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I just rolled a new cleric/ranger character and the natural roll came out as such:

STR:17
    DEX:17
    CON:17
    INT:14
    WIS:17
    CHA:15

97 points total. I think this is the highest natural roll I have encountered yet. Has anyone ever rolled over 100 points before?

2. Bahir the Red Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

that was realy high!

my highest was, when I had distributed them,

I think this was on a fighter or thief

3. Rogue Paladin Gems: 2/31

@Bahir - you are from sweden!? what part?

[Use PM for off-topic personal questions in the future. And please go read the forum rules you agreed to follow upon registration.] -Tal

[ July 15, 2004, 15:05: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

4. Bahir the Red Gems: 18/31

the second ;)

Im from Stockholm, why do you ask?

5. Rogue Paladin Gems: 2/31

I have a friend who just moved to Stockholm to work for a photographer there. I am going to Mullsjo (sp?) to study photography in January. I have many Swedish friends, and I am also looking at moving to Sweden in a couple years.

6. Eltharodo Gems: 2/31

all together now.... OFF TOPIC!! Back to the matter at hand, the best roll i ever got was

Str 14
    Dex 18
    Con 16
    Int 18
    Wis 14
    Cha 18

This was a bard, and I was quite happy with this. Also, to go slightly off topic myslef, something I got with a new character that wasn't a stat, but still a rollable figure, was my monk's natural magic resistence. In ToB, it was 127%. :eek: Still got him knocking around somewhere...

7. Telcontar Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Well this was kind of cheating, cause I rolled for this stats several hours, but it was quite good...
    I have this char. saved somwhere, if i remmeber well the stats :
    { Elven Ranger btw )
    STR 18
    CON 17
    DEX 19
    INT 17
    WIS 15
    CHR 18

That was before i got through the BG I and pick up all the tomes...
    But on the other hand, it was a bit around the rules, but it dosnt bother me, after all you are half-god :) :)

8. Sniper Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Has anyone ever gone with a character that has relatively pants abilities on your first roll?

For example

Stength: 10
    Dexterity: 13
    Constitution: 16
    Intelligence: 15
    Wisdom: 7
    Charisma: 9

Mod that any way you want and then go play with that character?

9. NonSequitur Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Yeah, but generally the PC classes I use have higher stat requirements (eg: Bard, Ranger, Paladin). I never have anything below 10 after pushing some digits around, just for the sake of balance.

Normally (or in PnP) I'd just run with it and make do. But as Telcontar puts it, you're a godling, so I think high stats are justified. When I'm more comfortable with it, I'll make a PC with a straight roll and see how it fares - there's enough attribute-boosting to get around that problem.

10. Rogue Paladin Gems: 2/31

I don't think it's cheating to roll repeatedly for higher rolls, and I don't think there is anything wrong with re-allocating points once scores are rolled. I'm also almost okay with SK'ing stats to reflect the tomes from BG1 because who wants to play all the way through BG1 every time they make a character? In PnP gaming, scores are much more important for roleplaying and shouldn't be tampered with, not even low scores. But in video games, and from a powergaming standpoint, you should try and get the highest scores possible.

11. Bahir the Red Gems: 18/31

The only problem about SKing your stats because of BG1, is that in BG1 your stat rolls were much lower, so you would probably actualy have to lower your stats

12. Jesper898 Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

I never have superhuman scores. My characters usually are something like this:

FIGHTER

Str: 14
    Dex: 15
    Con: 14
    Int: 15
    Wis: 14
    Cha: 12

Having 19 or even 20 in attributes seem too unrealistic to me. Wulfgar is insanely strong, he can lift almost anything, yet he "only" has 18 strength.

You could reason that you have those insane scores because you're the child of a god, though. :)

13. david w Gems: 19/31

I don't get that at all. Why would your stat rolls be so much lower in BG1?

14. Sweaty Used Armor Plus 100 Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

15. Evil Dad Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

I usually play Bards, Druids or Rangers, so always get decent rolls.

Bards (min scores)
    Str - 17
    Dex - 18
    Con - 15
    Int - 15
    Wis - 10
    Cha - 18

Druids (min scores)
    Str - 17
    Dex - 17
    Con - 15
    Int - 10
    Wis - 18
    Cha - 15

Rangers (min scores)
    Str - 18/xx
    Dex - 18
    Con - 17
    Int - 10
    Wis - 14
    Cha - 15

Although my stats are usually pretty good, I try and spread the points fairly evenly to create a well balance and believable character, rather than an uber-character.

I have never had a character with cha below 15, or int/wis below 10. If need be, I will drop another stat to compensate.

16. Scythesong Immortal Gems: 19/31

Media:
    I tend to play with higher scores, although I do so not for the sake of powergaming but for roleplaying (or simply for the sake of making a believable character, like Bard).
    Most of my characters have rolls of 92+, although the highest roll I've ever had was 105. I can roll for several hours though... To the point that the game begins to get buggy. ;)

My characters usually have high int and wis (even my barbarians) and I distribute the rest. All of my characters have low con (9-12), with the exception of Rangers.

17. Rogue Paladin Gems: 2/31

In PnP gaming believable characters are important, but in video games I see no point in patronizing a rules system like that. Even though I don't think of myself as a powergamer, I generally don't like to take panalties for a low ability score. In general, I don't have a lot of time to play these games, so I would rather spend my time advancing the story than reloading because of low ability related mishaps.

18. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    I've had some 99 sum total once. Probably BG2, though it might have been BG1. In fact, I had 102 in some old D&D game from the DOS Age.

Sometimes, I actually discard excess points that haven't been spent. This is mostly true when I make a character that only needs a specific sum of points to suit my vision of it. Especially when I base a character on myself, I don't want some unrealistic insane scores.

19. Benan Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

I rolled a 92 today while I was creating a Stalker.

Str: 16
    Dex:17
    Con: 18
    Int: 12
    Wis: 14
    Cha: 15

20. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Bard: "I usually play Bards, Druids or Rangers, so always get decent rolls."

does that make a difference? do you get better rolls with those classes?
    my highest is the one i've got now, an 87
    Str 18
    Dex 18
    Con 18
    Int 18
    Wis 12
    Cha 3

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.