1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Spell selection for Sorcerer

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Earl Grey, Aug 22, 2001.

1. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

[​IMG] This is what I came up with for SoA & ToB.

(Note: A long time ago I posted my, much revised, list for a BG2:SoA solo sorcerer.)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Spell selection for non-solo Sorcerer

Number in parenthesis is the level at which spell is selected.

Level 1:
    - Magic Missile --- (1)
    - Chromatic Orb --- (1)
    - Spook --- (3)
    - Friends --- (5)
    - Protection from Petrification --- (7)

Level 2:
    - Mirror Image --- (4)
    - Melf's Acid Arrow --- (5)
    - Web --- (7)
    - Blur --- (9)
    - Vocalize --- (11)

Level 3:
    - Fireball --- (6)
    - Flame Arrow --- (7)
    - Slow --- (9)
    - Skull Trap --- (11)
    - Remove Magic --- (22)

Level 4:
    - Stoneskin --- (8)
    - Greater Malison --- (9)
    - Minor Sequencer --- (11)
    - Wizard Eye --- (13)
    - Fireshield Red --- (23)

Level 5:
    - Breach --- (10)
    - Lower Resistance --- (11)
    - Sunfire --- (13)
    - Animate Dead --- (15)
    - Spell Immunity --- (28)

Level 6:
    - Death Spell --- (12)
    - Improved Haste --- (13)
    - Protection from Magic Energy --- (15)
    - Protection from Magical Weapons --- (21)
    - Chain Lightning --- (30)

Level 7:
    - Project Image --- (14)
    - Mordenkainen's Sword --- (15)
    - Power Word, Stun --- (17)
    - Protection from the Elements --- (22)
    - Finger of Death --- (31)

Level 8:
    - Abi Dalzim's Horrid Wilting --- (16)
    - Spell Trigger --- (17)
    - Protection from Energy --- (19)
    - Power Word, Blind --- (23)

Level 9:
    - Time Stop --- (18)
    - Spellstrike --- (19)
    - Chain Contingency --- (20)
    - Wish --- (25)

Comments? Yes, I thought so... ;)

Just one explanation before you all start complaining about it:

I admit that both Fireball and Skull Trap can seem unnecessary, but the longer range of Fireball makes it best in battle while Skull Trap allows for higher damage, non-fire damage and especially later on combined with Protection from Magic Energy, ambush opportunities that are just plain fun! :D

2. Big B Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

What was the motive for choosing Friends Lvl 1? In case of bad charisma? But if you were covered on charisma you wouldn't need that spell, in which case I would vote for blindness. All others are good choices.

3. Talwin Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Few questions, Why is finger of death so low on the level 7 list. Also why minor sequencer there are better ones out there. Of course this is my opinion only and I've never played a sorcerer.

4. Lokken Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Veteran

ruby ray of reversal instaed of one of the lvl 7 spells, I think would be ok

5. Gonzago Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

I just started ToB (second time around) with a pc sorcerer. Obviously I'm equipped with the death spell, but are there that many 8hd or less monsters in ToB? I just used it in scene one of Saradush, no effect whatsoever, even on the orcs.

>sigh< I'm gonna miss that spell.

6. Lokken Gems: 26/31

Veteran

You can still use it to slay summoned creatures.

7. Earl Grey

[​IMG] Good to see some comments! Keep it coming.

Death Spell:
    Only there to slay summoned monsters.

Ruby Ray:
    Yeah, I used to love Ruby Ray and still am not sure if I should include it or not. Ruby Ray's only purpose is of course to dispel Spell Traps, so the question is how bad you need that? Your secondary mage could have that one Ruby Ray memorized instead.

Friends:
    At level 1 only MM is mandatory, the rest are really unimportant. The motivation for Friends is that you can get extreme Charisma in case you ever need it.

Minor Sequencer:
    With my plan you get this at level 11 and have to wait until level 17 before you get another sequencer (Spell Trigger). I really like sequencers and don't want to wait until level 17 to get one! :)

Finger of Death:
    Agreed, this is a good spell - after Greater Malison :) - but clerics also get this spell. If you do not have a cleric I would move up Finger of Death so you get it at level 17.

8. Talwin Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Clerics may get it but sorcerers can cast it ALOT faster with their robes of vecna and amulets of power =) Also on the wish pick, Wouldn't it be better for it to be on one of your backup casters? I see no need for having wish at my fingertips at any time and would prefer some other level 9 spell. Can't think of any off the top of my head but I'll check =)

[This message has been edited by Talwin (edited August 24, 2001).]

9. Lokken Gems: 26/31

Veteran

Wish, is more of combat use in ToB than limited wish was in SoA. I dont know if it is just me screwing up the spell, but I only got a chance (not high wis though) to let whole party get physical hardiness(isn't that the name? physical damage resistant 40%)

[This message has been edited by Lokken (edited August 24, 2001).]

10. TIN_MAN Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

I like this spell selection, but...

1.) Protection from petrification doesn't seem to be important to take in; why not choose protection from evil instead?

2.) Vocalize? Why? The Amulet of power, given by Aran Linvail gives vocalize all the time(suspecting that you choose the good path)

3.) Also minor sequencer and spell trigger is just too mutch. I would have chosen spider spawn over minor sequencer.

4.) There aren't any good spell protections in the selection, I saw only the spell immunity.
    -Spell turning and spell trap would have come in handy.

That is all...I think.

[This message has been edited by TIN_MAN (edited August 24, 2001).]

11. AvaLance204 Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

The use of Spell Trap fades away rather quickly with the aqcuisition of the Staff of the Magi. However, I see your point about Protection from Petrification. Personally, my Level 1 spell picks included Magic Missile, Chromatic Orb, Friends, Burning Hands, and Spook. I think that only once in my game did someone get petrified, and it wasn't my main character; but that was in SoA, where I eventually dropped everyone out, not solo from the beginning. :)

12. Earl Grey

[​IMG] Protection from Petrification.
    Beholders can cast Flesh to Stone, so there is a use for that spell. Protection from Evil is a very good choice too, for being 1st level.

Vocalize.
    Assume that you have a second mage, then you can give the Amulet of Power to him/her.

Spell protections.
    It's my style of play I guess, I hardly ever use Spell Turning/Deflection.

Wish.
    This spell practically demands very high Wisdom, and perhaps also Intelligence, so be prepared with Potion of Insight and Potion of Genius if these attributes are not good enough.

13. AvaLance204 Gems: 6/31

Overall it's a nice selection, though I would replace Sunfire with Cloudkill. And about spell protections, my Sorcerer wipes enemies across the floor over and over before they start hitting him (spoiler.)

(EXCEPT AMELYSSAN! GRR!)

14. Creslyn Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Here are my spell picks for my sorcerer when soloing (I choose different spells if playing with a party).

level 1-
    magic missile
    chromatic orb
    identify
    prot. from evil
    prot. from petrification

level 2-
    blur
    mirror image
    resist fear
    melfs acid arrow
    knock

level 3-
    skull trap
    slow
    remove magic
    lightning bolt
    flame arrow

level 4-
    stoneskin
    greater malison
    fireshield red
    fireshield blue
    secret word

level 5-
    breach
    lower resistance
    animate dead
    cone of cold
    spell immunity

level 6-
    death spell
    prot. from magic energy
    prot. from magic weapons
    tensers transformation
    true sight

level 7-
    finger of death
    mordenkaaniens sword
    project image
    spell sequencer
    spell turning

level 8-
    abi dalzims horrid wilting
    spell trigger
    pierce shield
    prot. from energy

level 9-
    chain contingency
    spellstrike
    timestop
    wish

Note: when choosing my spells I always keep in mind the gear that I will be using and the abilities I will choose. While it can be extremely difficult to get some of the items I want (ring of gaxx or staff of the magi come to mind), when I get them my sorcerer is nearly unstoppable :D

15. Earl Grey

[​IMG] Another reply to Tin_Man's post August 24:

Vocalize:
    I now agree with you and will recommend Invisibility instead. Also I'd take it at level 7 or 9, before picking Blur.

Minor Sequencer:
    Agree with you again and think Spider Spawn is a choice that will help alot in the early game.

Revised Level 3 spells picks:
    - Melf's Minute Meteors --- (6)
    - Haste --- (7)
    - Fireball --- (9)
    - Slow --- (11)
    - Skull Trap --- (22)

- Flame Arrow is out. MM, Melf's Acid Arrow and Fireball should be enough.
    - Remove Magic is out. It's a spell I never use anyway.
    - Skull Trap is taken very late but is a spell that can be very effective in ToB.
    - Haste is in. Excellent in the early game.
    - MMM is in. This is an excellent spell that I've always loved. Make sure you have 18 (or 19) Dexterity! :D

Level 5:
    - Spell Immunity at level 13 instead of Sunfire.

Level 6:
    - Chain Lightning at level 12.
    Death Spell - I'll call it DS - is out. A second mage will keep DS instead or alternatively you keep some scrolls of DS handy. I mainly use DS to get rid of Nishruu's and Hakeashar's which I abhor! :mad:

Level 7:
    - Ruby Ray of Reversal at level 14.
    Power Word Stun is out.
    Finger of Death (pointed out by Talwin) and Ruby Ray (as pointed out by Lokken) are both spells I think are more useful. I still leave FoD until level 31 though.

Level 8:
    - Pierce Shield at level 19.
    Power Word Blind is out. My experience with this spell is shall we say... lacking. It could be good but I just don't know. :p

[This message has been edited by Earl Grey (edited September 03, 2001).]

16. AvaLance204 Gems: 6/31

AvaLance204's Solo Spell Picks:

Level I:
    Identify
    Chromatic Orb
    Friends
    Magic Missile
    Spook

All of these spells have fairly obvious uses.

Level II:
    Invisibility
    Knock
    Melf's Acid Arrow
    Mirror Image
    Vocalize

I took Vocalize in case I wanted to use a better/different amulet.

Level III:
    Flame Arrow
    Melf's Minute Meteors
    Skull Trap
    Slow
    Protection from Normal Missiles

I don't think any of these need to be explained, except for the Missiles one. Occasionally, archers will get on your nerves, and you don't want to waste another Stoneskin.

Level IV:
    Fireshield (Red)
    Greater Malison
    Stoneskin
    Polymorph Self
    Wizard Eye

No explanation required.

Level V:
    Animate Dead
    Breach
    Cloudkill
    Lower Resistance
    Spell Immunity

I chose Cloudkill over Sunfire for one reason: It's more disruptive :D

Level VI:
    Chain Lightning
    Pierce Magic
    Protection from Magical Energy
    Protection from Magical Weapons
    True Sight

All have very obvious uses, one being the fact that you get more fun with Cloudkill and Protection from Magical Energy!

Level VII:
    Finger of Death
    Limited Wish
    Mordenkainen's Sword
    Project Image
    Protection from the Elements

Again, no explanation required. All very useful.

Level VIII:
    Abi-Dalzim's Horrid Wilting
    Power Word Blind
    Spell Trigger
    Summon Fiend

Power Word Blind is merely a mage-disabler, while Summon Fiend is to take care of people I can't attack without the rest of the town going hostile on me :rolleyes:

Level IX:
    Chain Contingency
    Spellstrike
    Timestop
    Wish

Powergaming, anyone?

Overall, I think it's a nice bunch (esp. with rings of Acuity and Wizardry and Amulet of Power, Robe of Vecna. Then you learn the definition of power.) Any suggestions, just tell me.

17. Tassadar Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

selection of melf's minute meteors is a good call =)

18. PitTrap Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Protection from energy is a good choice in my opinion: cast it twice to get 127 resistance to all energy attacks. This covers all resistances (except poison and MR i think) eliminating the need to take the 6th lvl protectiion from magical energy and 7th lvl protection from elements.

Also i think powerword blind is good...very good spellcaster disabler. It penetrates all defences except MR.

Also in spellcasting combat, a spell immunity:divination combined with improved invisibility is EVIL. Enemies cant true sight, thus they cant target spells at you.

Is spellstrike really worth taking? the only reason to take out a mages spell defence is to finger of death, powerword stun etc that target the caster. Why not use area spells like horrid wilting instead that are not affected by spell defences? (how often does an enemy have spell immunity:necromacery any way?) breach and ruby ray of reversal will suffice.

i suggest taking chain contingency and perhaps leaving out spell trigger (unless theres nothing better). Is it a common misconception that chain contingencies can only be cast before battle? (the effective casting time of the spell is 0) instead of spell triggering create another ch. contingency DURING battle (even during thick melee combat...set the condition to hit and spells will go off right away)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.