1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Opinions for new party needed

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Tanakhoz, Oct 25, 2005.

1. Tanakhoz Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Hello

It's been several years since I last played BG2, and now I'm getting right back in. I'm pleasantly surprised that there are so many other active players on this site, and I've found a lot of information here.

Anyway, I want to start out with one of my two favorite party combinations, and I would very much like some opinions and/or suggestions. First of, here are my two ideas for a party:

1)
    Swashbuckler
    Minsc - replaced by Sarevok in ToB
    Keldorn - essential IMO, due to his abilities
    Korgan - awesome tank and killing machine
    Viconia - great cleric and nice romance
    Edwin - essential and best mage

2)
    Berzerker
    Minsc - again he'll be replaced
    Keldorn
    Viconia
    Jan - always my thief pick
    Edwin

I'm obviously a fan of getting up close and personal, and I like my character to do a lot of killing. The Swashbuckler is really good and allows me to replace Jan with Korgan, giving me more fighters. But I don't need all the thief skill points.
    The Berzerker is also a favorite because of his truly amazing killing powers and his enrage ability is priceless. But with this party I get fewer fighters, though my Berzerker kills most enemies single handedly.

I'm thinking that the Swashbuckler is very versatile, can do his share of the fighting and can set nasty traps. The Berzerker is much more destuctive, but then I'll be stuck with Jan, who I hate, though he'll add more arcane spells to my party. I've never tried Imoen as I'm a little worried that her limited thief abilities won't be enough.

I tend to let both my character picks handle some of the encounters on his own, and always let them charge first into combat. And I should add that I'm not a fan of neither dual- or multi-classing.

Both parties have been succesfull in the past and I can't really decide now. What do you think I should do here? Are they any good, or should I make a couple of changes?

And I think I'll be trying out some mods as well. I'm thinking of Ascension, Tactics and Unfinished Business. Does that sound like a good idea?

Thanks

2. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

Keldorn does not like Viconia, and they'll have it out eventually, so you'll need to pick one or the other. Keldorn and Edwin is doable so long as you keep them separated; if they get too close, sometimes Edwin will pick a fight with Keldorn for no reason.

What it comes down to is that Keldorn can sometimes be a problem when picking party members. One thing you might want to consider is making an Inquisitor PC of your own to replace him. Or if you're determined to take those parties, may I suggest Weimer's Ease of Use mod (the "NPCs Wont Fight Each Other or Leave" component in particular).

Aside from that, your teams are well balanced. A little tank-heavy, but I think it'll probably suit your playing style. Good luck and have fun! :)

3. Tanakhoz Gems: 1/31

Do they always start fighting among themselves no matter what you do? I've taken both groups through SoA and only once did I experience a fight between Viconia and Keldorn. That was in Spellhold and I just reloaded, and then it didn't happen again.

4. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Both ideas look fine to me, as long as you can keep the in-fighting and bickering under control. I'm not a fan of mixing good and evil because someone is going to kill someone else, eventually.

Imoen's thieving skills are good, though her Find Traps can be troublesome. For the record, she has OL 95 and FT 85. There's the Ring of Danger Sense which +25 to FT skill, though getting to it with Imoen can be a challenge. ;) Ring of Lock Picks +25 to OL skill can bolster her also, if you feel it's needed. If you have the Baldurdash fix, her thieving skills are better (OL 100, FT 95).

5. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

One of Keldorn's two banters with Viconia starts with him saying to you, "I urge you to reconsider the sheltering of this drow!" A day later his second one will kick in and he'll try to kill her. There are no special conditions. So either you got very lucky, or you installed EoU after the first fight in Spellhold so that it wouldn't happen again, and have simply forgotten. Either way, I'd get EoU again just to make sure. ;)

Personally, I just wouldn't mix pallies with evil in the first place; it tends to get a little bloody. :shake: That is one hell of a powerful first party you've got there though. *appreciative whistle*

6. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Imoen has good enough thieving skills. Just take the rings kuemper mentions and a few potions. She gives some considerable fire power by ToB (she killed the entire fallen solar party at the throne BY HERSELF).

You may be able to change Keldorn for Jaheira. They're the two best for anti-mage ops in the game. No infighting then (except the romance cat fights -- which are fun).

7. Faye

Faye Life is funny. Veteran

Media:
    Erm, actually... your party has alot of people who don't like one another.
    Keldorn fights with Edwin, Viconia.
    Minsc fights with Edwin (IIRC)

And since all of them are in one party... well, things could get ugly. But it happens randomly, so you'll never know if they start fighting or not (if they even start fighting at all). However, with ALL of them in one party at the same time, logic dictates that the chances of you having a bloodbath in your hands is alot higher.

I'd go with the Felinoid's suggestion and make an Inquisitor and swap Keldorn out if you really want to use a certain sword. Or otherwise, go with T2Bruno's advice with Jaheira.

8. Tanakhoz Gems: 1/31

The odd thing is that I have never installed any mods when playing any of the Baldurs Gate games. When I played the game several years ago, I wasn't the only one playing the game on that computer. So either a mod was installed without my knowledge, or I was just extremely lucky. In all the games I played, I only think I experienced that one fight between Keldorn and Viconia. I think that I'll try having mixed alignments again, and if it just won't work I'll use a mod to fix it.

I'm getting the game tomorrow, and I still haven't decided between party 1 and party 2. Then I'll also try looking at mods.

BTW, am I the only one who doesn't like the look of elven thieves? I don't like that hood on my Swashbuckler as he's more a fighter than a sneaky character. Guess that's something SK can fix, though I'm clueless as to how it actually works.(I'm really lame at anything about installing/programming etc.)

Anyway, thanks all for replying and please keep all suggestions and opinions coming. They are very much appreciated.

9. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

@Felinoid

When the time comes for any antagonistic pair to start fighting, simply reload and keep them half a screen width apart. The timer will fail and reset for approximately another 24 hours iirc. I have done this in the past and managed to take a party with Minsc, Keldorn, Viconia and Edwin through SoA safely.

I would get rid of Minsc in atleast the first party. Korgan supported by Keldorn and your Swashie are easily enough melee power up front without too much crowding. Keep it a gang of 5 for SoA.
    And I guess you love Viconia too much to consider the powergaming option of replacing her with Anomen.

10. Tanakhoz Gems: 1/31

@Shrikant
    That might be how I kept the party together, though I never realized it.

Yeah I like Viconia very much, but always keep her out of combat. It's something to do with wanting my cleric to have the highest wisdom and my mage to have the highest intelligence. Therefore I always take Edwin in the party too. I also always aims at getting a romance in my game, so the inclusion of Anomen would mean bringing Jaheira or Aerie too. That could be an idea too. I guess it could work in both parties.

Regarding the two different parties, I think that the first is more powerfull than the second. It has more strong frontline warriors. But I do like the Berzerker when he goes up against dragons, demons and demi-liches while enraged. And the second party has two arcane spellcasters, and I seriously consider replacing Jan with Imoen.

11. Truper Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Alas, poor Keldorn. Doomed to travel with a party he abhors, and if he unleashes his righteous fury, (which he should), fated to have justice undone by Power Word Reload.

Isn't there a mod somewhere that has an Anti-Paladin kit? That might be a better solution, although even if the kit exists, it probably wouldn't provide powers equivalent to an Inquisitors.

12. Western Paladin Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

Weimer's Tactics mod includes an Anti-Paladin kit. And it's actually more powerful than the Inquisitor, at least on paper. Anti-Paladins are considered fighters and so can achieve grand mastery in the weapon of their choice. Further, they have a "Dispel Magic on hit" ability that Inquisitors don't get. Aside from that, it is identical to the Inquisitor (though it's required to be evil).

13. Hyperion Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

In this game, what you really lack is a good thief. So I'd say to go with no. 1. Yes, Imoen is good, if you give her some rings... But I dislike to depend on items. Yes, Jan Jansen is good, but I don't like him, mainly because his personality and because he is a multi-class...

About the conflict between NPC... I used Power Word Reload when Keldorn fought Viconia... and it never hapened after that. Minsc is the one I don't need. Your party is just as good as it is. You don't need Minsc. And you could use the extra slot for NPCs that give you quests. So that you could gain some extra XP (having 6 party members is a pain).

14. starwalker Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

The Chances of them pulling certain things like complaints really seems to be on some random counter. I've had games where Viconia and Keldorn were at each other every other time I reloaded but I only heard Edwin complain once and storm off to leave. Another game I had Edwin wanted to leave over every little thing because my Reputation got a little too high and sometimes I would have to reload the same spot 3 or 4 times before he wouldn't take off on me. (I'm horrible about reloading with Edwin when I take him.)

Role Playing Wise for Second Edition. Paladin's will never have anything to do with somebody they know to be evil. But what they don't know doesn't hurt them. So that's something to keep in mind if your big on role playing. Otherwise a mixed party is actually kind of realistic for those of use that did table top(pen and paper).

15. Bion Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Yup, SK is the tool for your sprite-swapping needs. And I agree, the male elf sprites leave much to be desired in the "intimidation" department. I'm guessing you're thinking of a half-elf swashbuckler, likely due to RP factors, as he is the son of Bhaal (ok, powergaming), with an 18 strength. So this bruiser warrior-thief is represented by a tiny, skinny little sprite in a hoodie (with the hood about as wide as his shoulders, no less!). At least the human male thief has some biceps! Even worse is the male elf fighter sprite in leather or studded leather: While the human male fighter sprite in leather armor looks pretty build, almost like he's wearing american football shoulder pads, the elf sprite looks to skinny to be a ballet dancer, let alone, say, a Fighter/Thief brute of epic proportions. Wearing a helmet with a leather armor clad male elf is even more funny looking. Just saying, in the run-throughs in which I played either an elven fighting thief type or a ranger/cleric, I switched avatars several times with SK, without really finding a perfectly happy solution... Ah well, appearances, appearances...

16. Thor Gems: 10/31

I can't help but thinking, it would have been fun to play the game without a PC. It would mess up the story completely i know, but it would have been fun. :)

17. Parvini Gems: 10/31

Tanakhoz - If I was you I'd just take Anomen instead of Viccy (although EVEN Anomen and Keldorn don't really get on that well). Anomen can tank with the best of them, he can wear the best armour with the best sheild and has 18/52 str and can cast all of the Cleric spells you'll ever need. Just give him the flail of ages +3 and/ or Hammer of Thunderblots/ Crom.

You'll have a REALLY strong looking party then:

Swashbuckler (give him Celestial Fury)
    Minsc (Equalizer/ Lillicor/ Vorpal Blade)
    Korgan (dual-wielding +3 Axes - buy these from the IWD merchant in the CC)
    Keldorn (Carysmor +5 - what else?)
    Anomen (Fail of Ages+3)
    Edwin (Staff of the Magi +5)

The only trouble is that Minsc WILL fight with Edwin. I had them both in my party before and defeated Irenicus and even got through ToB with no problems - I was VERY lucky - if the script kicks in there is no way to stop them killing each other.

Obviously - as you have so many tanks - Minsc would be the one to drop. Edwin is the most powerful mage in the game bar none (even your PC won't be as good as Edwin is). I'd consider taking Jaheriha or Cernd as a replacement. Jaheria can get stuck in with the best of them and will give you romance opportunities, and of course offer you druid spells. Cernd, an unpopular choice can eventually shapechange into a greater werewolf (good tank with good immunities) and also offers druid spells. If you don't go with one of them then there is Mazzy (a poor choice in my view) or Valygar - will die quite a bit but, seeing as the Swashbuckler can't backstab he looks a good choice. He's good with longbows too. You could always go for Haerdalis instead but I wouldn't advise it.

With Keldorn and Korgan mashing it up on the front line there isn't much call for another tank anyway. ESPECIALLY as your Swashbuckler and Anomen (if you take him) will offer tank support. My advice would be to give Valygar a +4 or +5 bow and leave him in the back to fire arrows. Give him the short-sword of backstabbing incase you ever need to backstab. that gives you:

Swashbuckler
    Keldorn
    Korgan
    Anomen
    Valygar
    Edwin

You'll mash through the game in no time with this party. Although I still might argue that in the long run, Jaheria might be a stronger option than Valygar. It's up to you.

18. Schaf Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

what's wrong with mazzy? my current party features
    myself (dual classed berserker[9]/thief)
    keldorn
    anomen
    jaheira
    mazzy
    yoshimo (to be replaced at spellhold)
    would you rather switch valygar for mazzy? i've been fighting with myself whenever i reach this question. grand master short bows and swords & true sword of avoreen or... valygar (whom i like).

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.