1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Gorion vs. Firkraag

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by sarevok66, Sep 8, 2006.

1. sarevok66 Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Veteran

[​IMG] in bg1 you see gorion get riped to shreds by sarevok like he was his hand puppet yet when discussing gorion with firkraag the latter says he still got the scars of his last encounter

since firkraag is way more powerful than bg1 sarevok, how can that be??

[ September 09, 2006, 16:21: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

2. Goli Ironhead Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

It's storyline-wise, which does not always go with gameplay-wise. In the story, Gorion was really powerful wizard, perhaps even worthy of the title of "Archmage".
    But ingame, he's not very powerful, about 7th level or somesuch. Later on, in ToB-part, Gorion is revealed to have done other things I doubt wizard of his level ingame could pull off.

So, don't mind that, it was back when they weren't planning a sequel yet.

3. zerox Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Gorion led a group of other harpers againist firkraag, giving him the front line support he'd desperatly need as a mage. Plus sarevok ambushed gorion preventing him from casting any buffs to protect himself, while also requiring him to use up his offensive spells in order to protect your character. In the fight againist firkragg he would have planned out the battle, prepared himself in advance, and then had his allies cover him while he tore into the dragon.

4. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

As zerox said, Gorion was in a party when he fought Firkraag. There were (presumeably) meatshields to keep the mage protected.

With the Sarevok/Tamoko ambush, Gorion is with his green foster child and barely gets his Shield spell out. It's not like Gorion could pull a Vaarsarvius. :D

5. Fly2tHeSkY

Fly2tHeSkY Southern Comfort Veteran

That's what I was thinking. Obviously he was a mage of great power, but it wouldn't fit the storyline too well if he had survived now would it? Shame that he had to die so early though :cry:

6. Silverstar Gems: 31/31

Veteran

Then again this does not explain his power and levels when he comes back by a mod in one particular battle which is forbidden to discuss in this topic. IIRC he also becomes a C/M. Weird.

7. Decados

Decados The Chosen One

Media:
    Yeah, it weird- though he does cast Cure Light Wounds befre you leave Candlekeep.

Perhaps he was training while he was dead. Or something. :rolleyes:

8. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

He's got cleric levels throughout the games. Presumably he started as a cleric of Mystra (or something) and dualled to mage.

9. kuemper Gems: 31/31

Wasn't there a 9th level mage spell which you could access low level cleric spells?

10. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    IIRC, his "offensive" spells were 3 sets of Magic Missiles and one Agannazar's Scorcher. Which if used against Firkraag, wouldn't do much since he's immune to fire dammage, and maybe one or two of the magic missiles might have gotten past his magic resistance... :bad:

But maybe he forgot to study his mage book that morning, and only had those 4 spells memorized at that moment. :p :rolling:

11. Iku-Turso Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Now an interesting thing would be to ask what would've happened to [charname] if Gorion wouldn't have been killed by Sarevok?

Wasn't defeating Sarevok what brought [charname] into Irenicus' attention? Wouldn't Gorion and the Harpers gotten all the credit with [charname] as only a minor sidekick? Huh? Huh? How about that? All I'm saying is that maybe the old coot wanted to die! What do you think about that! Huh? Huh?

But the story would've been about Gorion, and the fate of [charname] wouldn't have been worth mentioning much, if Gorion the archmage would've been the major player he was back when he and his Harper friends gave Firkraag some scars.

12. zerox Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

I blame the game mechanics for the lack of offensive spells gorion was actually able to cast, since it was ill equiped to make a 20 something C/M. Story wise however it shows how he spent all his spells to attack the enemies after your character, spent none protecting himself, and how he went so far as to attack sarevok in melee with a dagger before letting sarevok past him. That to me details the spirit of a high level hero (one that would have gone toe to toe with firkraag) if not the mechanics.

13. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Well if Gorion has just been sitting around in Candlekeep for lots of years he will eventually lose levels I belive. Forgets all the tricks he knew when he was young and stuff.

14. Felinoid

Having seen it dozens of times, I can give you the exact cutscene. First he casts *Lightning Bolt* at the lower ogre. Sometimes kills it, sometimes doesn't. Next comes a doubled *Magic Missile* at the top ogre, then a *Sleep* spell (*Command* in Tutu, for some reason) aimed at Tamoko, who tanks her save every time. (BTW, how the heck did Tamoko cast Flame Arrow at the PC as a cleric? :skeptic: Then again, that might explain how it only does one point of damage...) The top ogre, if it's still alive, always gets taken by the Sleep spell as well (can't help feeling I'm forgetting something that would be better equipped to kill the top ogre than just 20-50/60 damage). On an amusing note, that sleeping ogre still turns up dead the next morning, which makes you wonder if Sarevok executed it (but not Tamoko?) for some reason. The next spell is a *Flame Arrow*, aimed either at the lower ogre if it's alive, finishing it off, or Sarevok if it's not. Final sequence is a *Melf's Acid Arrow*, followed by two or three doubled *Magic Missile* spells. Then comes the desperation move of going into melee, during which half the time Sarevok doesn't even have to hit him for him to fall down dead.

15. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Yeah, I've seen that more often than not...that armor of his must be pointy! :p :rolling:

16. Fly2tHeSkY

Fly2tHeSkY Southern Comfort Veteran

EXACTLY zerox

Btw Felinoid that's exacty it! Couldn't have explained it better myself :D

17. Felinoid

Of course, Gorion gets the last word in a way. Because just after his causeless death, Sarevok goes "Urgh!" from the continuing effects of the Melf's Acid Arrow. I think it would have been cool if there had been some lasting effect from that spell of an Archmage, like maybe some acid scarring on his face in the ToB portrait. :evil:

18. kuemper Gems: 31/31

Which is why it's my favorite cut scene. :grin:

19. Silverstar Gems: 31/31

Veteran

Ooo, I relaly should play BG1 some day to see the scene you described, Felinoid. It sounds so cool!

I am glad that game-designers did not portrait Gorion like they did Irenicus. He is one fantastic killer in the cutscenes of BG2. :BAM: :Splash!: :ZAP!: :aaaagh!: (killing a few cowled enfercorers with each efect.) And I do love his dual-Disintegrate spell.

20. Robin Lou Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I changed Sarevoks hit points from 500 or so to 50. It's funny to watch Sarevok die in the prologue and drop a full plate mail +1. However Gorion still dies, it's in the script it seems.

I would like to change the beginning script to something more impressive, like fireballs and a power word kill or so, is it possible for a noob like me?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.