1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

I NEED HELP PLEASE!! :(

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by The Kurgan, Oct 21, 2000.

1. The Kurgan Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

[​IMG] I am as u could say in the beginning stages of the game. I guess you could call me a newbie to the vast arrays of strategies you can use in this game.

The creators of this game say that all quests given are balanced in ways that ur characters should be able to handle anything put up against you. Well i don't think that's true.

The first quest given to me was the Nalia's quest. I had to destroy the Trolls and Yu-anti's in her Castle.

I was doing great until i opened a room in the Cellars and 5 Umber Hulks charged my group. They instantly stunned my Warriors and they destroyed my party less then 2 minutes. Even if they didn't Stun i doubt i could beat them, they were destroying my warrios HP, with ease.

Now i'm not sure if i'm supposed to be doing this quest at this time, but it was the first one put forth to me. So if anyone can give me some advice it would be great.

The Kurgan

2. homesick-alien Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

did you kill the dogs in the yard? if so what did you collect from them maybe you could use that ( you need to kill all 4 dogs )

if you still having difficulty go and do some of the run around quests in the town first to build up exp.another great way is to open locked chests with a thief that gives loadsa exp

[This message has been edited by homesick-alien (edited October 21, 2000).]

3. Ciller Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

There are more then one way to accomplish this little part of the game. One is to kill the dogs outside in the court yard and make some dog stew. then set this stew down in the jail cell in the west of the umberhulk room (get someone who is shadowed or invis to do this) another way is to summon a creature, send him in at the door way and then let him take the brunt of the umberhulk gazes and attack them at the door. Or you could cast an area effect spell into the room, like could kill, stinking cloud, fireball, whathave you and disrupt them, hurt them a bit. Dont forget, haste is one of the best spells in the game for killing things quick. Try these, amoung other methods to get rid of these Umber hulks.

Ciller

4. derah Gems: 2/31

Or, you can station your party in the next room towards the back.
    Have one xter near the door but out of sight to the side.
    Send in a hasted xter to lure one umber hulk through the door. As it comes through, have the xter near the door close it.
    This way you can deal with one umberhulk at a time.
    Even if you use the dog stew, after you kill the trolls in the next room, you can go back and kill off the umberhulks one at a time with this method and pick up xtra XP.

5. IronEagle Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I lured em one by one. and killed em like that, (i just did it) it was quite easy, the hardest part was running from minsc when he was confused. How do ya lure em? well you can look in the room at an angle.. and one sees you, so he comes to attack ya, and ya cant waste em.

6. IronEagle Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

damnit i hate that... specially in forums, I meant ya CAN waste em... not ya cant waste em.

7. Shura Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Umber Hulks hsve less than 6 or 5 Hit Dice so a cloud kill should finish them off instantly

8. The Fat Egg Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

area of effect spells would help greatly, don't just rush them, or let them charge you, as soon as you open the door (preferably with a concealed character) blast in some spells. also, use haste or potions, and some defensive magiks beforehand, to ensure you get in the hits and can withstand their attacks. some healing can be fairly handy too.

9. Palpatine Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

shura's right, make the doggie stew (poor rex, rover, et al), have a thief hide in shadows, plant the stew, then have a mage cloud kill the whole bunch.

10. Yes the game does adjust the mosters numbers and difficulty according to your part's level.

I did that quest as my second of the game, and I didn't have any major problems with it, though it was a little tough.

Some of the quests I've gone on have been very difficult, but I have always been able to work out a solution. Sometimes it means picking different spells and resting to memorize them, but I can always find some key strategies or spells that allow me to win. I'm starting to get to the point now where the magic defense spells (breach, lower resistance, etc) are becomming very useful.

Possible exception: in the unseeing eye quest I just did, I had to fight 3 beholders, which was bad enough, but then all these shadow wraiths would attack me too. The only way I got past this quest was by getting the Shield of Balduran from Diedre in the Adventurer's Mart (reflects Beholders rays). And then my main character killed them all by himself. So If I didn't have the collector's edition cd, I wouldn't have been able to get past this (right then anyway).
    But in no other situation have I ever really felt the quest or the enemies were beyond my level. That's not to say I haven't reloaded some battles quite a few times though :)

[This message has been edited by Lord Balduran (edited October 23, 2000).]

11. Ciller Gems: 2/31

What Im having problem with right now is that Rogue stone room in the bridge district. I have tried many times to kill them.. but have yet to get it done. Im taking a break at them by killing the red dragon which I know I can take since Ive tried him out once and killed him with only one death. For those guys in the rogue sonte room here is my stratagey that has so far failed. I summon fire elementals and my moon dog! (if you dont know what the moon dog is you need to play the game as a ranger). I haste, bless, chant, protect from evil, deffensive harmony. Put one guy in the room, have the main guy attack my party, kill him off (need a breach spell to do it.) and try to kill of the orb.. when I do this the mage in the back gets into play and summons a pit fiend, fire storms etc. thats if the first wizard didnt kill me yet... (oh, and stop time used against you sucks...) any thoughts on what to do? what to change?

Ciller

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.