1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Scariest creature

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by nataben1314, Jul 22, 2004.

1. nataben1314 Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

[​IMG] What, in your opinion, is the scariest creature or specific character in all of BGII? By scariest I mean which one has the persona, look, etc. that freaks you out the most. It doesn't make much sense to me to just say the most powerful creatures, because I am sure that we would be killed just the same by a dragon or a diseased gibberling.

My scariest character would have to be Neb.

2. NonSequitur Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Unmodded:
    ------------
    Kangaxx, either form. Not just for the power or sheer viciousness, but for what he says and does. Shangalar and the Twisted Rune are harder to knock over, but they aren't even close to Kangaxx on the "ancient, unutterably evil" factor. He tricks you into freeing him, then squeezes out these beauties:

When you reassemble him: "Death shall rain upon the planes and Kangaxx shall violate all!"

When you destroy his Lich form: "I am truly free and the world shall be burned to ash for your sin!"

Beholders are pretty frightening as well - they have no conscience, no link to humanoids, phenomenal cosmic powers (well, the Elder Orbs, at least).

Modded:
    ---------
    The improved Ulitharids in the Tactics mod. Utterly alien, irredeemably evil, and monstrously powerful. Like the manual says, they consider you food or slaves, if they consider you at all. Before the upgrades, they're too easy to slaughter with the right preparations. Now, they truly are some of the deadliest, scariest monsters in Faerun.

3. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

I definitely think Beholder kin are the scariest. It's also the monster type that I've had the most problem with.

4. Jhonka

Jhonka This is the face of Justice Veteran

I think Shades and other Shadow creatures are among the creepiest. Just imagine trying to sleep, and have several indistinct, shrieking forms flit across your window :p

And for sheer, up-front terror, I'd say Fire Giants and Dragons, for their size and ferocity.

5. Balduran's Boot Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Irenicus!Sorry it's just a joke.
    I do agree with Jhonka.I think that shadow creatures are creepy.
    But i also find that Vampires are rather scary too.

6. Drugar

Drugar And now... we wait! Veteran

Media:
    I definitely think Beholderkin are scary. Just thinking about their immens power and what they would do with it when you stand in front of them gives me the chills. And all those eyes...

Liches are scary too. A skeleton with rotting flesh hanging between the bones that will whipe you off the face of the earth with their magics.

7. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

i dont know if they fall under "monsters", but i'd say the drow. definitely.

8. Drugar

Drugar And now... we wait! Veteran

Media:
    Judging by some of their actions one could say they are monsters :D

Just curious: why do you think they are the scariest?

9. Loerand

Loerand My heart holds no fear for death

I think the Vampiric Mists are kinda creepy.
    Imagine walking a late saturday night, through some fog, and then suddenly the fog starts to make sounds and attack you, creepy ;)

10. Hugo Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Hrmm, I'd say the Illithids - even Beholderkin can be tricked, as the guy in the underwater city proves, dragons are powerful but typically don't tend to going out to slay humans + there are good dragons also (Silver dragon anyone?).
    Illithids, as said, are so alien they can't even be considered evil anymore - I bet zebra's think that lions are evil if they could...
    We're just food or otherwise resources for them.
    :borg:

11. david w Gems: 19/31

I've always found the Ravager well scary. Something about a huge demon with 500+ HPs and freakish damage reduction is prety chilling.

12. Duryn Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

for me...its in the Unseeing Eye Quest...

The Empathic Manifestation, a demon brought into the world and fed by the hate of those around it...

Every hit you deal it it just gets stronger...

Since in today's society there is no 'Healing' magic, it would be impossible to kill unless you had a bunch of hippies give it a hug or something...

And the voice of the Amaunator avatar you meet afterwards is scary, too

13. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Looking at things from a traditional view, as opposed to the modern day apologistic view of things found in television shows such as Buffy, Angel, Charmed, and others, I'd say the demons are the scariest, most evil sickos around. Certainly their avatars in the game are creepy as all get out.

I also have to say the illithids are a close second, if not a tie with the demons. They seem to me to be lifted from the mind of my old buddy Lovecraft -- anyone have any ideas on where else, textually, they might have come from? One thing worth noting is that while you can talk to some beholders (the unseeing eye and the spectator, who seems to have some decidedly human traits) some demons (the demon in watchers keep, forgot his name, some imps, the gambling cambion) there is no way to ever talk to an illithid -- scary stuff, there! They don't ever deign to talk to you they are so alien and tentacled.

14. Wiegraf Folles Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

the illithids, because their intelligence drain can kill anyone, unless they are using the enhanced lilarcor in the item-upgrade mod. And you do talk to one illithid, although it isn't much of a conversation: the Hidden, in Jan's quest. At least he doesnt try to kill you outright.

15. nataben1314 Gems: 10/31

I agree with nonsequitur about some of the demi-lich's lines are the scariest in the game. Particularly:

"I am truly free and the world shall be burned to ash for your sin!"

That is the scariest line in the game in my opinion, and it makes him seem truly powerful. I mean even the illithid sort of live by themselves and coexist with the rest of the world... kangaxx simply sets out to destroy the entire world as soon as you free him!

I wish that there was a way in this game to play as a character as evil as kangaxx. I mean it's hard to play as an truly evil character and then go out and do a bunch of silly quests that would be far beneath someone of such deep evil.

16. Blog Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

That troll in De'Arnise Keep that spawns two smaller ones when killed. Imagine you keep killing them, and they continue to multiply like the heads of the hydra from Greek mythology. :eek:

17. Benan Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

The drow are the scariest "monsters" in the game to me. Everything else you know it evil pretty much. Beholders, Mind Flayers, Demons and so. You know you can't trust them and that they are evil.

The drow though. They you in the back while they hg you like a brother. And while you are in the city, at first they all seem to dislike each other. Then the Matron mother is killed and the whole city is united with a single cause, to kill you.

18. Scythesong Immortal Gems: 19/31

Media:
    [​IMG] Agree with nataben, the scariest for me would be Neb. There's an air of realism to him which I don't find much in all the other villains in this game... Given his particular vocation, I guess it kinda freaks me out.

19. nataben1314 Gems: 10/31

That's precisely what freaks me out about Neb as well, his realism. I can only be scared to a certain extent by a thousand year old skull that can cast spells... however just the way that he kills all those little kids and summons their spirits, and sits in the corner giggling... that just freaks me out. Illithids at least hunt humans for food or slaves, Neb just kills for sadistic thrills.

20. Jhonka

Jhonka This is the face of Justice Veteran

"...Neb just kills for sadistic thrills."

That rhymed! :o

PS: I've fought Neb before, but I can't remember what triggers him. How do I get him to appear? I can only assume he's part of a quest.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.