1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

NPC accents

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Trydan, Jun 23, 2003.

1. Trydan Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

[​IMG] Recently I got involved in a bizarre conversation regarding the accents that the characters in BG2 have, and we were trying to place them within the world. Now we didn't have a lot of success, so I thought I'd post what we thought, and see if anyone else could help...

• Aerie - North east USA
    • Anomen - USA, but with put-on British
    • Cernd - ?
    • Edwin - Southern spain
    • HaerDalis' - ?
    • Imoen - California, USA
    • Jaheira - Hungarian
    • Jan - North east USA
    • Keldorn - USA, but with put-on British
    • Korgan - North west Scotland
    • Mazzy - Home counties, England
    • Minsc - Russia
    • Nalia - California USA
    • Valygar - ?
    • Viconia - ?
    • Yoshimo - Polynesia
    So, if you can fill in the gaps, or improve/correct any of our guesses, then let me know (I'll edit the post, to keep it up to date).

[ June 30, 2003, 13:50: Message edited by: Trydan ]

2. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Minsc and Jahiera sound more Romanian that Russian, IMO. Slight difference.

Edwin sounds like a Spaniard.

Keldorn is Scottish, but a more refined dialect (think Sean Connery).

Anomen's accent is American, but overly proper and aristocratic, with a British hint to it.

Yoshimo sounds Polynesian to me, not so much mainland Asian.

Everyone else seems to be pegged just fine.

3. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Jaheira's one isn't Russian. I doubt it's even Slavic. A bit Arabic sometimes, but not really it either. I suppose it's been invented especially for her. For my ears it's something intended to be Eastern but not truly identifiable. Perhaps it's just her Tethyrian and half-elven legacy.

4. Khazraj Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Saemon Havarian has an Australian accent, of that I am pretty sure..."Oh Bloody Hell!"

I think that Jaheira is meant to be Middle Eastern, at least that would match her name...

5. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

I believe that Thay is the FR equivalent of Egypt, so maybe Edwin's accent is like that of an Egyptian's accent (whatever that sounds like, or even if there is one).

6. Tayja Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

@Oaz: My dad's Egyptian. I lived in Egypt for 3 years. If Edwin's accent is Egyptian I'll eat my camel. (Well, he spits too much anyway-the camel, although perhaps Edwin as well.)

Jaheira and Khalid's names are definitively Arabian, but her accent sounds Eastern European to me.

In the process of downloading new voice sets, I came across some new ones that Margot, the voice actress for Jaheira, created. Under a voice for a "Natasha"- she describes it as another attempt at a Hungarian accent.

http://www.merrymeet.com/voxpopuli

7. jcompton Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

While Margot is indeed a most prolific _mod_ voice actress, she is not the voice of Jaheira. :) That's an actress by the name of Hidi Shannon.

If you like the sound of Margot's voice, though, she plays a starring role in the recently-released "Getting Rid of Anomen" mod (which is an add-on for Kelsey romance players.)
    Getting Rid of Anomen can be downloaded here.

8. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] What I'm regretting the most about making MODs is that you have to do soundsets. What is even worse is if you need to record some dialogues between existing NPCs as well.

As to existing NPCs I think a couple of them don't actually have Accents. Though most of them are American, because the game is.

I'm trying to place Irenicus though. because sometimes he sounds British and sometimes he sounds American. Perhaps he's swimming inbetween?

9. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Yeah, like the Red Hot Chili Peppers song Emmit Remus:

"An English girl, an American man." :p

10. Daie d'Malkin

Daie d'Malkin Shoulda gone to Specsavers

Mazzy's accent is a bit ok yah for the home counties.
    (ps, ok yah is brit slang for snobby)
    She must be aristocracy. Apologys to any aristocrats here. I am sorry my Lady/Lord.

11. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    She's high on the ladder, but she appears to be a citizen rather than noble. But Amn being a typically merchant republic, sort of Venice, so it's still possible she does have some nobilliary rank.

I honestly see no reason why you should apologise for your comment. Accents are what they are and you didn't mean anything offensive, did you? :D ;)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.