1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

What class should I play?

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Sparhawk, Aug 28, 2001.

1. Sparhawk Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

[​IMG] I've completed SoA & ToB several times but always using a fighter, now I'm used to playing like that and every other class, including swashbuckler, has too crappy a thaco to be worth using. Can anyone help me to choose a class to play?

2. Sir Dargorn Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

what about a bard or mage?
    Wild mage might be fun

3. Sparhawk Gems: 4/31

okay I might try them, thanks.
    The biggest prob I have with mages is low hp and lack of spells which can do real damage, especially at the start of the game. What bard kit would be the best to use?

4. Sir Dargorn Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

really if ou go in a party then the skald would be useful if put at the back and playing the harp.
    The best for frontline action would be the blade but do not expect a real fighter here.

5. Sparhawk Gems: 4/31

I know, I put Haerdalis (or whatever) on the front line once and he got mutilated! Maybe I should try a paladin or rnager but I wanna do sumthin' new! I reckon I'll go with your suggestion of Wild Mage. What party combinations can you use if your protagonist is a mage?

6. Tubbamonk Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I'm not so sure because I haven't gotten ToB yet, but I reckon that if you are going for a Bard, the best (in my opinion) would be the Skald. Otherwise, I've always enjoyed the Sorcerer class, but you NEED to plan your spell picks..heh heh, once I went for a completely summoning sorc...6 skeleton warriors is always good fun.

7. Magnus_G Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Sparhawk, why don't you just experiment with the new class and just work with what characters you meet. I always find it much more fun to sort of improvise as I go along and switch in and out some party members to see if they improve the party. You already have played BG so you basically know all the strengths and weaknesses of each NPC so try your own party out.

8. Nobleman Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

[​IMG] WHy have my eyes missed this post so looong? :mad:

Go with a F/M/T and see how many hours of fun gameplay he'll bring. You will find Yourself experimenting with new and genious tactics to pull with him. Just in mere hours.

Its a pleasure to try a F/M/T at least once.

9. Tiamat Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Try an assasin (you can always use those gauntlets of weapon expertise to increase your Thac0) or a kensai-d-thief (great Thac0, amazing backstabs).

10. Auger Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

I think the most fund character I ever had was a sorcerer. When you get to load up on Breech and Pierce and then the quick attack spells (MM, etc), you feel like a god taking out other mages. If you get the robe of Vecna (sp?) - which is a bit too powerful - I would imagine it would be a lot of fun.

Otherwise, I am thinking of trying a monk that does not use quivering hand - sort of an all around sword fighter and kung fu guy like in Crouching Tiger. However, I have never played a monk, so I do not know how well that would work.

11. Thunderhammer Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

In BG2 it's hard to dispute the power of a high level mage and the fun things they can do single-handedly. My favorite is just a straight thief. They reach high levels quickly with great abilities. Also,they require a little more thought than simply wading in with a fighter with 100+ h.p. and AC -10! If you are going with less than a full party, a racks up some serious x.p. and saves MUCH trouble by disarming some well-placed traps. Speaking of traps, with ToB installed my thief was able to set some very deadly traps. A skill that came in handy on more than one occassion! Whichever direction you choose, pick one you think you will find different and most of all fun!

12. the assassin Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

the problem with a skald is that you have to stand around singing the damn song, or running from enemies just to give your party combat bonuses. To me, bards are not that useful. Also, I find that over time, a character that just hacks and slashes gets a bit dull, since nothing changes much after a while. A mage can at least learn better spells, and more spells, but a fighter doesn't change much...

13. Laksol Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Agree to you, assasin, though your name betrayes you ;)

[This message has been edited by Laksol (edited August 28, 2001).]

14. AvaLance204 Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

I found Sorcerer a fun class to solo, especially since I got so far over the XP cap and started with a huge level in ToB...but let's not get into that. We'll just say that if you solo a Sorcerer, prepare to mutilate anyone you see for quite a while in ToB...depending on your spell picks.

15. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

[​IMG] Try a sorcerer! You clearly use ToB so you'll get the fun of 9th level spells.

Don't play a Bard! You said you were so used to playing fighters that you will be very disappointed in the bards measly combat capacities. Actually, AFAIK the reason most people like bards is that they bring out a special roleplaying feeling or nostalgia perhaps. Jack-of-all-trades means master of none and that isn't a good thing...

16. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

[​IMG] I have to ask mods to move this spamming thread in ToB forum.

Not only that creator has ToB, but here he won't obviously get an answer to try Wild Mage. Or something like that.

And for billionth time:
    SoA+ToB is not the same as SoA ONLY!!!

In ToB many things are changed. This forum is IMHO for one who has installed SoA ONLY. Not for one who has installed ToB.
    What matters if you're playing SoA area? I won't be able to understand your question. Place it in ToB forum for god's sake!

You'll say there is no ToB spoilers here - it is logical that Sorcerer gets many lvl 9 spells...
    Maybe it is logical to you who saw it, but it is not logical to me. I DON'T WANT TO KNOW ANYTHING, AND I MEAN ANYTHING available in ToB. OK?

You think I'm wrong? Then there is no need for two forums. Tal, conduct them please.

17. Sparhawk Gems: 4/31

Thanks Guys, in the end I decided to go for a sorceror. They're not all that poweful at the start of the game are they? Still it's made me adjust my tactics a little and now I can see how much the game is different if you don't use the same class, plus as most of you have mentioned fighters don't really change much.

18. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Extremist is right. Enough ToB spoilers already! If you have BG2+ToB, post in the ToB forum. Next time I see a topic like this I won't bother moving it, I'll just close it.

19. Crawl Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Well since I'm obviously late in getting my choices in, well, I'll do it anyway. I say if you want to create a really fun character, use shadowkeeper and make some interesting multi or dual class possibilites. I've tried this a few times so far. One of my favorites was the fighter dual swashbuckler. That was nice. No backstab, but a pretty decent fighter and a great thief. I also tried a multiclass elven wizard slayer/mage. Also cool to play, as in TOB she started with 40% magic resistance. Found she wasn't all that good in melee, so I used her strength in dexterity and equiped her as an archer. Wizards beware. I've been wanting to try a multiclass stalker/cleric, but haven't gotten around to it. Anyway, these are just some ideas. Anyone else played around with new class combos?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.