1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Battle with Sendai

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by saukoon, Nov 26, 2001.

1. saukoon Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

just had a thrilling and exhausting battle with Sedai. She's formidable after applying the powerup patch!

One question. When I fought with her, I tried to use Pierce Shield, breach etc dispell magic to remove her protections. However the casting failed, with the msg that 'santuary or invisible enemy cannot be targeted'.

But in fact I have my Keldorn casted True Sight... but still I cannot cast any magiks on her.

What's the reason?

2. Satanatron Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] I assume you mean the Bhaal Spawn who is correctly named "Sendai", as opposed to Sedai.

I believe the answer to your question is she either had non-detection or you are not in close enough range to dispell her illusion for her to become visable again. Or perhaps you cast the piece spell at the moment that she turned invisable and thus the spell did not hit her. Im not sure, but one of these explainations is probably right.

As for an improved version of Sendai, I had not heard of a patch to improve her difficulty. Are you sure there is one available, or are you confusing it with another Bhaal Spwan? If such a patch exists to "improve" Sendai, where did you get it from?

Cheers
    S

3. saukoon Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Yeah! That's too careless of me. I tought she's strong after the patch, but in fact there's no powerup patch for sendai :p

BTW, I found her powerful as she can cast heal very fast, and seems very hard to get hit! My keldorn and minsc have THAC0 of <-10 but still hard to hit her.

4. Maldir Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

It is possible that although you have True Sight active, you are not able to cast spells at her for a period of time. True Sight dispels all illusions once per round - which means that depending on when she casts Mislead, Shadow Door etc. she has up to one round of being protected from spells before your True Sight dispels it. And if your Pierce Magic etc. spells are cast in that time, they will fail.

5. wittynewt Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

[​IMG] Hi,

Sendai has a base AC of 8. I think the reason you didn't think you were hitting her is because of all of those magic protections. She is a formidable cleric/mage.

Cheers,

WittyNewt.

6. HypoThermia Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

My experience of True Sight is that it only overcomes hiding spells at the start of each round (speed factor 0). It's possible to get the following sequence:

1) True Sight reveals hidden enemy.
    2) Enemy quaffs potion/casts hide magic.
    3) Your spell aimed at the target fails because of the slow casting time.

Annoying when you've almost finished casting that killer spell!

<edit>Whoops! Maldir already said this.. I should have read the thread more carefully.

[This message has been edited by HypoThermia (edited November 26, 2001).]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.