1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

How do you kill ADAMANTITE GOLEMS under 10 minutes?

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Arathorn, Aug 9, 2002.

1. Lance Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Well, If you have a Paladin and Carsomyr+5 you could easily kill an adamantine golem. OR you could just use "slay living".

2. komei Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Mazzy equiped with the Gesen Bow always does 1 point of damage (electical) per hit against Adamantine Golems for me. It takes time but if you want to kill one with no damage suffered and no spells wasted, try it! It may be possible to use bolts of lightning in a crossbow of +2 enhancement or above to do the same sort of damage if you don't have the Gesen Bow, but I haven't tried this.

3. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

On golems? I've never found that spell to do anything against their resistances. Imprisonment should work quite nicely though.

Any +3 bolt in a crossbow or bow/arrow combo will work well actually, Komei. Arrows of Piercing (I think may have already been mentioned) will do about 5 or six damage, unfortunately, you're going to need to have some fighters holding it in one place, otherwise it will start chasing your character with the bow and leave them to do nothing but run away. Unless, of course, you use the cheesy door trap thing, but since most people fight them first in Suldanessalar, there's really no way to exploit that.

[ September 16, 2002, 21:29: Message edited by: Rastor ]

4. komei Gems: 5/31

'Unless, of course, you use the cheesy door trap thing, but since most people fight them first in Suldanessalar, there's really no way to exploit that.'

? I seem to have fought tons of them with my current party, some in Windspear Hills Dungeon, some in the sphere 'core' room. Maybe it depends on when you do these quests or your present levels, etc, because I did these quests quite late in Chapter 6 on my current game. On my first game I did them in chapter 2 and 3 and I think some (not all) of the monsters (including Adamantine Golems) weren't there and easier monsters were there instead...

Nothing wrong with a cheesy door tactic - use the scenery to your full advantage!

Once, in my first game, I couldn't defeat a (greater?) wolfwere in Windspear Hills dungeon because it kept regenerating too quickly, so i let him chase my closest character into a room with 2 doors, closed that door behind him with another character, exited the room through the other door and closed the wolfwere in! He was too stupid to open the door and i left him there trapped! No EXP for killing him, but a novel way to get him out of the way!

5. Baezlebub Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

The cheezy door thing is just cheating. But it does work. An easy way to do it is to grab your monk and send him in with a couple of spotions like "Cloud Giant Strength" and stuff. Golem slow doesnt work on them and they are doing mega damage with their fists. Grab your bow person and hoik arrows of dispelling and periceing. No speed ups. You might wanna use a spell like zone of fresh air as well to negate their bad breath. A nice handy gate spell worx well if you have janny baby up to level 18. Hoik it in and let the pit feind do its work. If it dies, go and hammer the golem. If it doesnt, Reload.

6. Rastor Gems: 30/31

If you do the quests before the underdark, you will fight clay and stone golems, not adamantine.

IIRC, adamantine golems don't use that attack. Iron do. Either way, that attack is poison-based, so the monk should be immune.

7. Zveistein Gems: 1/31

[​IMG] door fitting is for loosers.

I usualy have him locked on my barbarian with haste (he's ultra-fast) and run around when my sorcerer's hitting him with MMM (melf's minnute meteors)

8. psychopunk Gems: 1/31

You duel weild freaks may not know this but 2 handed weapons have a range of 2. Do the door trap thing and walk your 2 handed weapon weilder to the door and commence wacking. It is a cheesy thing to do, but when I do it, I always have a back liner who is low in the kill total/percentage do the deed. Makes it look like they are contributing more that way.

9. komei Gems: 5/31

If the game allows you to do it, it isn;t technically 'cheating' - it is simply using the scenario to your full advantage... as the guy above says, one of the deliberate advantages od two handed weapons such as large swords and halberds is to be able to fight thru doors at a safe range...

If anything, the AI on the monsters (although golems are stupid anyway) could be improved so that they back away if being hit 'for free' thru a doorway :)

10. Valer Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I think killing a big golem is not too difficult... for an assassin. Use the poison weapon, and hit form the shadow (+4thaco) than run far and hide again. The golem will be slow because the venom is working inside, so you can get far enough to hide. And you can/have to repeat it 3 or 4 times to kill a adamantite golem.
    And don't be shy using the doors as a bottleneck, this kind of tactic totaly suits to an assassin.
    I think realizing the situation that the golem can't go through the door is the contest of intelligence, not the wisdom. Or more likely the sum of int and wis...

11. Rastor Gems: 30/31

In real-life though, that doesn't make sense. How the heck are you going to poison something that isn't alive? There's nothing there for the poison to affect.

Isn't that also exploitation? You would think that once the creature realizes that the barb isn't doing a thing that it would go and start wailing on the mage.

12. Korsel Gems: 1/31

My (legit! woohoo!) level 25-or-so Paladin, wielding a weapon no better than Lilarcor (+3), though she later aquired Carsomyr (You shouldn't need me to tell you the bonus), and she could kill them single-handed (not, however, in one hit).
    Then again, she single-handedly killed Firkraag (wielding Lilarcor) :)

13. Blackhawk Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

[​IMG] To kill those annoying magic-resistance creatures, I case quite a few "Lower Resistance" spells and open a can of magical whoop-ass.

I killed the dragon in the Temple Ruins by using this technique.... I let him tear a bunch of summoned creatures apart while I hit him again and again with that spell. After about 3 or so, I unloaded on him and killed him with a Finger of Death.

14. MagnusMagus Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Ok, cheesy tactic I learned about a little while ago with Melf Minute Meteors.
    This works especially well with a blade:

Equip any two weapons, one in your main hand, one powerful one in your off hand.
    Cast MMM.
    You now have 5 attacks per round, and due to a bug in the Infinity Engine, your offhand weapon still exists and is used. To add to that, your offhand weapon becomes a returning ranged weapon.
    So, you could end up with a returning ranged Crom Fayer, very deadly against golems.

Now why did I say that it works especially well with Blades ??
    Offensive Spin.
    Chuck an Offensive Spin into the above tactic, and you suddenly have 6 attacks per round all of which do maximum damage.
    The attacks go in this order:
    Meteor
    Meteor
    Off Hand Weapon
    Meteor
    Meteor
    Off Hand Weapon.

So, you have Crom Fayer hitting twice per round, doing maximum damage, PLUS 4 +5 weapons per round, again doing maximum damage.

Choose the weapon based on the opponent (I used the example of Crom Fayer because this thread is about Golems), and you can defeat almost anyone from a distance...

15. war999 Gems: 1/31

well, ive got TDD, one of the best mods in existence installed, so i just have my warlock use his summon tanari ability and let that golem play with that :evil:

16. Sylvan Gems: 5/31

The quickest way I found to take out Adamantite Golems was by firing a barrage of melf's minute meteors (about 3 or 4 spells worth). While my tanks kept it busy by one attacking while the other healed so as to not get killed.
    The golem soon got beaten.
    These beasts can only be hit by +3 weapons, and if I remember correctly, will only take up to two points of damage maximum from every attack

17. Rastor Gems: 30/31

I've seen five. They have 95% physical resistance, just like the demilich. That should give you an indication of how much damage you can expect to do per hit.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.