1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Most original dual?

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Brettoni, Aug 8, 2006.

1. Brettoni Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

[​IMG] We all know about the famous duals F->T, T->M, Kenai mage, etc...
    So I'm wondering what were some of the most uncommon duals, yet interesting, duals you ever played?
    I always liked the eventual nature's lover beastmaster -> druid, but I guess the ranger's good alignement prevents that.
    So maybe a Shapeshifter -> Mage could be interesting?

[ August 08, 2006, 23:42: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

2. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Can't do that one. Druids can only dual to fighters.

3. Brettoni Gems: 5/31

oh OK... So I guess this limits duals quite a bit then. There must be much fewer than I thought. Thanks!

4. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Yes, in order to dual class, it must be viable multi-class. Therefore:

Nothing can dual to or from monks, bards and paladins.
    Ranger can only dual to clerics.
    Druids can only dual to fighters.
    Fighters can dual to druids, clerics, thieves, and mages.
    Clerics can dual to fighter, thieves, mages and rangers.
    Thieves can dual to fighters, mages, and clerics.
    Mages can dual to fighters, clerics, and thieves.

Now I am aware that SK considers barbarian to be a fighter kit. As such, it may be possible to dual class from a barbarian. However, even if it is considered a fighter kit, there's no way to dual to a barbarian.

I guess the main problem with your question is that you would never dual a mage, cleric or druid to anything. As those classes continue to gain more spells as they progress, it's not a great idea.

Fighters, Rangers, and thieves OTOH max out with certain skills early on, and only improve slightly at later levels. The most interesting duals always involve some type of kit. Actually, if you don't take a kit, it's usually in your best interest to multi-class instead of dual class.

5. Brettoni Gems: 5/31

:doh: :doh:

so much for fancy duals...

6. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

C/T. You'll read a lot of 'you're limiting your spellcasting by dualing', but it's fun anyway.

7. Brettoni Gems: 5/31

ah yes, a cleric dualled into a thief could be fun: a priest of Talos dualled thief to summon skelettons to lure ennemies into the traps he set...
    hehe ;)

8. Drew

Drew Arrogant, contemptible, and obnoxious Adored Veteran

Media:
    @Aldeth: There are 2 ways to dual from a Barbarian. One is to install the component from G3 tweaks that allows it. The other is to go into SK, change our Barbarian to "Trueclass", and then dual class him. After that, you can go back into SK and change the Kit title back to Barbarian again. Or not. The only thing that would change is the kit description since you won't be gaining any more fighter levels.

9. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    This is one area where I greatly prefer 3E rules to 2E. There are just so many possibilities on how to build your character in 3E, and so many of the awkward limitations are gone. If a ranger wants to later put his focus on martial skills on the back burner and begin to devote him/herself to nature in a much deeper way, then why not let it be so!

10. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mênu! Veteran

Marceror, you can do that in 2e also, just not in the Baldur's Gate games.

3e does allow a lot more freedom, but my point is that BG restricts a lot more than 2e is supposed to.

11. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

If you think s/he should be evil... I found a Lathander cleric->thief just as fun.
    Considering the liberal use of SK, there really are no more limitations. :bad:

12. ObviousDelirium Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

I played with a Wizard Slayer dualled to cleric once, not really original seeing the WS is basicly a fighter, still, that was a nice mage killer, and while I still couldn't equip any magical items outside armours and weapons, I gained the ability to drink potions back thanks to becoming a cleric. The 10% chance to miscast spells on strike and the very very low SR were nice along with the priest spells.

13. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Hmmm....

I usually only multi-class my PC, and leave my NPCs alone...but I'm starting to wonder about Sarevok. I have Saerilith (Cavalier wielding the Carsomyr +5), Jaheira wielding a throwing Spear +3, and Immy with the Celestial Fury +5...and I don't really need another vanilla fighter.

I'm already through Saradush and WK, so my question is, is it too late to dual him to a cleric? :hmm: :rolling:

14. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

Pretty much, seeing as he has a wisdom score of 10. :p :shake:

15. Kitrax

Media:
    SK to the rescue! We'll just bump that up to 18, and to make up for it, we'll just lower his INT and REP a few points each. :p :rolling:

16. Iku-Turso Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Sarevok/cleric! Why!

I'd take Sarevok/thief any time...

17. Kitrax

Media:
    I need a cleric. I already have Immy for my thief, but Jaheira I use more for her offensive spells...like Creeping Doom and the like. I need someone else who can heal my party during the thickest of battles.
    I tried it out and decided that it was too late in the game to dual him. Maybe next time I'll try dualing him to a thief as soon as I meet up with him in the pocket plane. Having Sarevok using the thief's UAI HLA is quite tempting. :evil:

Oh, and in my last post, I meant *CHA* not REP... Lowering my rep would only piss off the other good NPCs in my partry. :p I'm just too lazy to edit it. :rolling:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.