1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

General Questions (puzzled me for yonks!)

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by cmarface, Sep 5, 2003.

1. cmarface Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

OK, as it says, just some general questions that have puzzled me.

1) Pointless people in the game:
    -There is this dude called Habib and what is his purpose in the game??? Every new game he is there to throw a bloody scimitar at you. Purpose for this...?

2)Kit/Class Quests:
    -Which is the best one? I tryed the Fighter one. That one is OK. Im currently doing CLeric and Thief and thief is better then cleric (both only done one quest). Are there any better ones or are these the 'cream of the crop'?

3)Is there any possible way to get permanent stats (str, dex etc etc)??? It did happen to me once, I was a fighter and during the middle of the game (not too sure where i was or what i had done) i imported this CHAR into a new game and he had 19STR as opposed to 18/.. .What could have caused this?

4)What classes can a 'dual-class' (where do I find the list for this)

thank you (i will probably think of more :) )

2. fade Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Well, for the wonderfull sword throwing friend of yours, I think he is just there for some comic relief. Just one of the many details that make this game so much fun.

For your second question, it depends what you want your character to be the best at. A character is what you make of him/her. Any kit or class can get through the game. It is just a matter of you trying them, and seeing which ones you like the most.

For number three I have no clue, sorry.

For number four only humans can duel class, and you have to have the minimum starts of the class you want to duel too. I am sure sure of this because mainly I play pure and multiclassed characters, so feel free to correct me.

3. Skywind Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

3. Yes, it is possible to raise the stats permanently; there are about two ways to do that in the "middle" of the game, plus the judgement in hell. Or perhaps, that character of yours is a half-orc?

4. CamDawg

CamDawg The gaze of the Wolf reaches into our soul Veteran

1) Fun trivia fact: Habib is actually a contest winner. Interplay ran a contest prior to the release of BG2 for people to submit character ideas, and Habib won. Interplay Character Contest

2) If you ask 10 people you'll get 10 different answers on this one. I prefer F/T multiclass characters myself, but try out whatever looks fun.

3) Yes; some races get bonuses that allow them to start with 18+ stats. Elves, for example, can start with 19 Dexterity. There are also other ways throughout BG to increase stats beyond their maximums.

4) As a general rule, if it's a valid multi-class, it's a valid dual-class. The original class can be a kit, but not the second (Bounty Hunter/Mage is OK, but Fighter/Necromancer is not).

5. Death Whisper Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

4) Fighter, Mage, Cleric and thief are 4 of the classes that can dualclass.

im not sure about rangers and druids though.

but paladins, sorcerors, bards, barbarians and monks cannot dual class.

3) you will also be able to increase your stats.

there are two such places which i will list after the spoiler warning.

SPOILERS:

the two places you can increase your stats permanently is: Hell challenges (right before you fight irenicus) and watchers keep (the machine with the button combinations.)

6. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

As for starting a character with stats above 18 (or 18/00 in the case of a Fighter class) here is the breakdown as far as I know it:
    Dwarves can have 19 CON
    Elves can have 19 DEX
    Gnomes can have 19 INT
    Halflings can have 19 DEX
    1/2 orcs can have 19 STR (and maybe 19 CON, but I can't remember for sure)
    Of course, throughout the game, you can boost those stats. The places such can be done have already been given.
    Only humans can dual class, only demi-humans can multi-class (stupid rule, really, I'm glad that PnP 3E turfed that whole concept)

7. cmarface Gems: 2/31

Thanks people.

Ahh... What are the combinations (for all good things) on that machine (i tried many and failed :) ).

Another question that i have now (i said I would have some :) ) is how to kill bloody 'vampiric wraiths'?? Im in the first watchers keep level but i just simply cant beat these things since only Minsc is a classy fighter in my squad! Any ideas

Cheers (i had more questions but i forgot them, ill remember soon :S)

8. Blog Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

If you have a decent cleric in your party, just turn undead. Otherwise, straight attack with magical weapons, and protect your fighter with negative plane protection just in case they level drain you.

9. Sparhawk the Pandion Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Did all those contest winners make it into the game? I'm sure there's a horribly-singing wizard in the Mithrest or Seven Vales, and that Reynald was the guy the Order asked me to deal with and of course Habib, but I don't recall the others.

Plus, I think he was asking which of the stronghold quests were best, not which kit was best. I thought the Paladin one was disappointing, since the 'final quest' is something you can do anyway, but I haven't done any other class' yet.

10. Deathmage

Deathmage Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    Yes-all of the characters are in the game!

Habib-Throws a scimitar at you and then a coin.
    Kruin-Wild Mage the Gith sends after you to retreive the Silver Blade.
    Alateno-Guy at Mithrest, or was it Den of Seven Vales?
    Reynald-Second-in-command of the Fallen Paladins.
    Goshan-One of the assassins under your command in the Thieve's Stronghold, I believe.

11. cmarface Gems: 2/31

[​IMG] I have thought of another question!!!

Town Criers??? their purpose??

(another: How come Renal doesnt give you that mean sword when you are a thief. He gives you 3 options. (thief quest) does any one of those options give you the sword??)

cheers (ill be back with more :) )

12. Death Whisper Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Town criers brings the news to the people (news are brought from the governer of the town or a king). Kind alike newspapers, only that they shout out the news.

13. Skywind Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

The town criers do not have anything important to do with the main character. Just like all the books that you can find and read, they are just to provide you with more knowledge on the world of BG2. Anyway, they can be there just to make BG2 more interesting.
    (Off topic....
    I like the part where a lady in copper co....(sorry, forgotten the spelling) shouted for the whereabout of her husband and I told her where her husband was so that she will fight with the other lady.)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.