1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

New NPCs?

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Virus, Apr 11, 2003.

1. Virus Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Am I the only one, who got bored because of the small number of joinable NPCs (unlike in BG1)? I tried Solaufein (weird dialogues, some good encounters-undead sola/revenge spiders...), Valen (waaaaay overpowered) and Kelsey (No offense, but this guy is a jerk).
    I thought that it would be cool if there were more mods like Sola and Valen (unjoinable NPC becomes joinable). There is really a lot options for that, like Hendak (the gladiator from Copper coronet)...what do you think?

2. Spelladonna Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Now there's an idea -- Hendak as an NPC. After being in the fighting pit all those years, he would be an awesome fighter type to have.

Though many will argue this, I still think that Drizzt should have been available as an NPC (one that you can control; not just have join for a short time for one quest).

Raelis would be a good one, I think. A quest could be written that involve planar travel -- perhaps to Sigil? Could be interesting. :hmm:

3. Evil Ash Gems: 1/31

I agree. More NPC choices is always a good thing. Arin Linvail as an NPC might be interesting as well as Habib (the guy in the docks who throws his scimitar at you).

I know the Tortured Souls mod allows you to take Sime as an NPC and also Bodhi, although only for a short time. I think there is also a Viekang mod currently in development.

4. Erebus Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Download the Tortured Souls mod, which gives you three new characters from Kara Tur, and loads of dialogues with Yoshimo. Plus, you can also do a lot of side quests in Kara Tur as well.

Welcome to the boards!

5. Jurts Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Sheesh, 16 joinable NPC's and these buggers cry for more?

Well, I can understand that, but here is the problem, which Bioware would have faced. Creating a new NPC is a very tough job - his background, banters, interjections, quests, it all takes a lot of time. They already had terrible time constraints and had to abandon many NPC specific quests (for Minsc, H'D - hehe, I know what was Minsc's quest... it was never implemented :( )

Also some of the existing NPC's are underdeveloped - Valygar to some extent, and most of all - Cernd. I wonder if this guy really haves a personality, he's so dull.

[ April 11, 2003, 18:40: Message edited by: Jurts ]

6. Virus Gems: 1/31

I tried Tortured souls, but it obviously doesn't work with SoA only and has lots of bugs (Kachiko has a green circle and acts like you throw her out of the party instead of joining). It also crashes the game when I want to go in Slums district (from Waukeen's promenade).

7. jcompton Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Heh, this is a new one. What do you mean?

Lots of people talk about doing a Hendak PC. I think his battle cry of "Free ze vimmin!" would get boring after a while. :)

8. Virus Gems: 1/31

What about Gaelan Bayle? He always makes me laugh with his 'Coo!' phrase :D
    The guarded compound could also be modified-Koshi (or anyone else) switches sides and helps you defeat his former friends (improved of course) and then joins you.

9. Loerand

Loerand My heart holds no fear for death

I think that Kivan should be in the real game, not only in the tutorial.
    The mage in Adventurer's Mart could be nice(it's always nice with a mage).
    Most of the NPC's in Spellhold should available.
    And everyone from BG1 that's in the game(I.E Garrick, Safana, Quyale etc..)

10. Falcor Wolfbane Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

You may think this odd but how about having Malduf? just for the umar bit or for the entire game,, it could be cool if his special ability was to summon his friends. :idea:

11. Eze Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Kelsey wasn't a jerk. Anomen was. Kelsey was just nice and not annoying. I liked him. A LOT.

12. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I agree with Virus...I wasn't crazy about really ANY of the NPC's. I just think there could have been more. Coran or Kivan would've been nice to have come back.

How about Morella (I think that's her name)? The werewolf chick who dies so quickly at the beginning of the Umar Hills quest? With her pack all turned to shadow, she would have nowhere else to go. She could be modified to be a Shapeshifter or something. Couldn't be any worse than Cernd, right?

Renal Bloodscalp would be cool. He could say Aran Linvail assigned him to offer you any assistance. His dialogues rule and I bet he's a wicked assasin.

Having Quayle again would've been nice.

Any of the acolytes or various priests from the 3 temples.

Any of the Knights of Solamnia in the Planar Sphere would've been AWESOME.

:yot: In Tortured Souls, do you have to have Yoshimo in your party to go through all the quests? Or for it to work at all?

13. Stu Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Assuming you have the CLUAConsole option just click on the charactor you want and press CTRL + Q and they will join your party.
    Dritzt is pretty funny as he uses his scimitars as helms and necklaces when you first make him join.

14. Gothmog

Gothmog Man, a curious beast indeed! ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

I'd like to see that evil commander of the druid grove quest. Eventhough she was weak :( .

IIRC she was joinable in BG1 so why couldnt she be now?.

An evil druidess :eek:

Artemis Entreri!!!!

15. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Yup...she was Faldorn. Wasn't too shabby of a Druid IIRC.

Oh yeah - Ajantis! I know he dies rather abrubtly at the beginning of the Firkraag quest, but it would've nice to see him evolve from the fanatic young paladin into the heroic Cavalier type he seemed destined to become.

16. Virus Gems: 1/31

I was thinking of Renal Bloodscalp (or Mae'Var if you choose his side).
    I agree with Death Rabbit for the knights of solamnia, that would be cool.
    Kivan would be nice because of his dark nature (and voice). It would be great to have a good sniper (archer) in your party.
    It would be funny to change a quest of Samia (in Windspear hills), so she could join your party, betray you, but you could convince her otherwise to stand against her (former) party and travel forth with you. :)

17. Deathmage

Deathmage Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    Quayle? Quayle would actually be useless compared to Aerie, believe or not. Quayle has 17Int and 9Wis (I think), while Aerie has 16 Int and Wis.

18. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] I think all BG1 NPCs would be brilliant, I would like to know what would happen to them all.

19. Jurts Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

As a worshipper of fair Lady Jaheira, I would say that meeting Khalid well and sound, could certainly create some problems for PC/Jaheira romance... :rolleyes:

20. Wray Vitki Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Now THAT would be funny. The person that we all thought was Khalid that was killed by Irenicus really WASN'T. It was just one of his clones.

All of a sudden, we find Khalid sitting in a local tavern, wondering how he got there.

Enter PC, with arm around Jaheira. Muahahaha.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.