1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Should I kill Demogorgon? *Spoiler*

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Blackhawk, Nov 20, 2002.

1. Blackhawk Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

[​IMG] I have finally reached the final part of Watcher's Keep and am wondering if I should kill Demogorgon or seal him within the Keep once again.

The fight sounds rather interesting and I assume I would gain some wonderful treasure and experience points. However, this would release him into the Abyss - freeing him.

2. Lokken Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Veteran

Of course you should whack him the hard way, make him bleed!!! You're a spawn of a god of murder are you not? Not this refined sissy enslavement capture thingy of helm nonsense. The way of the painful blade we go! :D

It is a cool fight, and a heck of a fight too. Demogorgon is an immense enemy, if you think got good gear.. check it over again and make sure you got +4 weapons (I think it's needed, not sure).

Fight him! :D

And you get some decent xp for it too

3. TIN_MAN Gems: 14/31

You definetely should fight Demogorgon, though he is somewhat weaker than he should be. You get mutch more XP when you whack him so it is worth the pain.

4. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

**SPOIL**

If I remember correctly, sealing the tomb while the fallen priests are inside will damn the priests. Thus, you will bring about a "bad ending". Whereas going down and attempting to save the priests will, though fail, result in the Demogorgon's destruction, and a better ending along it. Wether it was set "free" or not, you will have the thanks of the god's messenger for that deed.

5. Enthasius Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Simple word of advice.... negative plane protection. When I fought him last, he drained my levels faster than you can say "Jeez, he drains levels too?"

Or maybe that was when I accidently downloaded the harder version of him, and I couldn't even hurt him. I forget.

6. Spelladonna Gems: 14/31

spoiler
    What bad ending are you talking about? If you choose not to kill him, which the Knights of the Vigil flat out tells you not to do, you are visited by an apparition of Helm. She basically tells you that the Knights had fallen from Helm's grace, which means they were damned to begin with.

She will give you a scroll to seal the keep, but she will also give you the option to (1) rescue the Knights, while reminding you that they lied to you and sought to imprison you in the keep so you owe them nothing; (2) seal the keep from the outside with Helm's scroll; or (3) just walk away.

I've sealed the keep and and I've walked away. The way I saw it, the Knights were destined to face Demogorgon one way or another so, to me, rescuing them was never an option. IIRC sealing the keep netted me 80K+ xp per character; don't recall what, if any, xp I got for just walking away.

7. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31

Yes, well if you haven't gone in there and defeated Demogorgon, then you wouldn't know what I was talking about would you? You already said what happens when you simply seal it and leave, so I'll tell you what happens when you don't seal it right away. But instead, walk in and try to save the priests.

**SPOIL**

As you enter the Demogorgon's lair or keep or prison or whatever, you'll notice that the priests were just destroyed. You will then be forced to fight Demogorgon, as before entering the apparition of Helm's servant will tell you that once inside, you cannot use the scroll. When you defeat Demogorgon however, you'll see that the head honcho priest is still alive, though barely. With his last breath he will apoligize to you, praise you for being stronger of will and power and loyalty than he was, admit his foul deed and ask for forgiveness from Helm or something of the like. When you then leave the place, the apparition of the Helm's servant will appear once more and make it quite obvious that this deed required more faith and bravery than what they had originally expected of you. So I'm pretty convinced that going inside actually is the better option of the two.

8. Blackhawk Gems: 14/31

[​IMG] Okay. Thank you everybody for your advice.

I just have one thing I have to say:

Demogorgon must be the most idiotic looking monster I have ever seen! :bang:

Is this a creation from old mythology or a product of drug use?! :)

9. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Apparently the name goes back quite a ways.

Milton wrote a passage about him in Paradise Lost. The American Heritage Dictionary says "Mythology: A terrifying ancient deity or demon of the underworld" I've seen an indication that he actually predates Christianity and can be found in Greek myths (don't remember any with him, myself).

Anyway, the picture used in BGII is derived, I believe, from the original Monster Manual from AD&D, second edition, rules. So you can thank Gary Gygax or one of his cronies for the visual.

10. Blackhawk Gems: 14/31

[​IMG] Just to let you know...

I faced Demogorgon, and found out that my party was not powerful enough to battle him. If it has been somewhat of a fair fight, I might have continued, but bugs in the game just made it impossible.

For one, there is a fatal Time Stop bug - he is not frozen. So, that spell is useless.

Second, he can call helper demons indefinitely. I killed about 4 swarms of these. It occured to me that this is a chance for infinite XP - but I don't like cheating.

So, he was sealed in his prison.

F- for Watcher's Keep.

[ November 24, 2002, 22:18: Message edited by: Blackhawk ]

11. komei Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Spoiler...

The best way is to both kill AND seal him?

Impossible? Not quite...

Go in, kill him (Greater Whirlwind Attacks and Hardiness skills make it easy IMHO... backed up with the usual protection spells on the party).

You get the experience etc for that. Then as soon as you leave the lair to the outside, immdiately pause the game and then cast the seal scroll - you have a few seconds before it disintegrates from your items. If you do this quickly, you get the sealing EXP in addition to the EXP gained killing him!

Cool huh?

Myself, I do the watchers keep just before going to Suldanessor for part 7 of the SoA part of the game - the party is strong enough (for me) at this point especially with the fighters having their special skills of Greater Whirlwind and Hardiness...

12. Lokken Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Veteran

Time Stop isn't a bug, it's intentional for making the battle tougher. Live with it ;) and for the love of god don't use timestop since it'll slaughter your entire party.

13. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

Forget his helper demons, just hit him. The timestop thing is not a bug, neither is the unlimited summons. You have to attack him (use Warding Whip...it will help a lot) and ignore his summons. Don't bother with offensive magic, since he'll resist most of it.

14. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31

The idea is that this is the PRINCE of demons, about to rise to his full power. And as such I accept the fact that he is too powerful to be captured in a timestop spell, AND that he certainly has an army of demons to summon to his aid. So yes, you have to kill him as quickly as possible, which won't be too hard if your party is tough enough.

Protection spells, some mordekainen's swords in several waves of attacks (since he'll unsummon them), lots of whirlwinds and/or other such "rapid-fire" attacks to keep him occupied, use +4 weapons only (if I remember correct, doubt it was +5), devote at least one mage fully to keeping his barriers and protections down. He will almost continually try to make himself immune to magical weapons, and he has an incredible natural resistance to spells.

15. Blackhawk Gems: 14/31

[​IMG] Thanks for the help, but I've already sealed him in and defeated Sendai in the process.

Overall, I was disappointed in Watcher's Keep. The treasure was really nice, but the different levels had the feeling of 5 different sub-quests that were pasted togather. And really when you think about it, none of the levels really were related (besides small tie-ins).

It would have been better if the levels were different quests tied into Amkethran. ... like the Shadows of Amn quests were tied to characters in Athkatla.

16. Wray Vitki Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

*slight spoilier*

And now with Wray's Easy Kill guide for the Demogrogan (for those of you who aren't ashamed to get the easy-kill).

As you get through Watcher's Keep, you actually get a chance to talk to the prince of demons. During this time, it is not a bad idea to set traps alllllll around. He died as soon as he became an enemy to me...remember, spike traps are your friend.

This has been a public service announcement sponsered by me, intended for use of those who want to use it, not those who want to bash it.

Thank you.
    :-p

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.