1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

BG1 to BG2 and breaking the xp cap barrier

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Rastamage, Sep 17, 2007.

1. Rastamage Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

I'm cruising along in BG1. Next stop, Cloakwood. Because I intend to suck the marrow from the bones of BG1 and TotSC when one of my mods asked if I wanted the xp cap removed I said yes. Now my party is hovering close to or above level 6 (except Jaheira, of course). I'm getting a little worried about what level I'll hit by the end of the game.

So I ask you, the resident BG series experts: do you think since BG2 scales a lot of encounters for higher level chars (iron golems to adamantite, etc) that I will be okay when I migrate my character to BG2? I was intending to make a note of Minsc, Jaheira, and Imoen's stats and use ShadowKeeper to make them match their ultimate BG1 selves. Now I'm worried about just how high their levels will go in BG1. Do you think with monster scaling I'll be okay or do you think it will make the game a snoozefest? I'd be ecstatic to hear about others who may have done it this way before.

2. Stu Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

When you import your BG1 character to BGII he/she will have their experience set to that of a newly created character (i.e. about 8 and a half million or whatever it is). If you acquired more xp in BGI you will loose it, along with any items you had (though there are ways around the latter ;) )

3. Rastamage Gems: 6/31

Well that's interesting to hear. I must admit that in the name of consistency I'm tempted to bump my character's xp in ShadowKeeper when I modify Minsc, Jaheira, and Imoen's proficiencies and Imoen's thieving abilities. I've beaten BG2 a few times so I think I'd rather have a consistent story rather than the extra challenge. Then again I've never played it on a harder difficulty so that's an option, too, if it is really easy.

4. Shaitan

Shaitan Always forgive your enemies; it annoys them so

I allways mess with Jaheira and Minsc (when I use him) in SK. Just to get a better feeling of consistency. Besides in BG2 terms it doesn't do the big diffirence anyway.

5. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Now this is wrong. At least for an Easy-TuTu game, which I suspect Rastamage uses. I imported my lvl 10 wild mage (who was waaay beyond BG1's XP cap) to BG2 game and he did not lose any level of experience. He did lost his equipment and familiar though. Workarounds to retain equipment is cheating by the way, IMHO. :nono:

I also did every possible quest, discovered nearly every wilderness area (one can never be sure if it is BG1 :p ) completed Werewolf Island and a full Durlag's Tower tour. I also had SCS which greatly improved the difficulty of battles, so maybe it gave a slight boost in XP too. All in all, my wild mage who was travelling with a party of six ever since he met them in the beginning of his adventurer life, was lvl 10 when he managed to kill Sarevok. Hope this helps.

As in BG2. I have Improved Anvil mod. If you don't know this is the coolest and hardest mod you can find out there. So I really did not find the game a snoozefest, as you put it, actually I think those few extra levels came quite in handy!

But normal game...I do not know. With the more difficult spawns in dungeons, it can still be fun and challenging. Tip:Get 'Always Hardest Spawns in Dungeons' component of Tactics mod and have fun!

6. Shaitan

Uhh I used to hate Tactics "Hardest spawns..." as I found them a bit to much after exiting Chez Irenicus.

7. Hethan the Skald Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Veteran

@ Silverstar: that's true with EasyTutu because technically, a Tutu game is a BG2 install modified so you'll be playing the BG1 part of the story.

So, starting a BG2 game with a char imported from Tutu is just like starting it with a char from BG2 (who'll be a bit above 89 or 161k).

8. Rastamage Gems: 6/31

I just had someone level up and this part of your post came to mind. Level 10 is really, really high for BG1. Were you able to get any fifth level spells? I'm playing as a wild mage too, btw.

9. Shaitan

Did you install the exotic item pack from G3's tweakpack

10. Rastamage Gems: 6/31

I think I did. I certainly hope so!

11. Shaitan

I'm not sure if it is level 5 spells, but some scrolls were added by that component. I don't remember the level of ie Cloud Kill, but that's to be obtained in BG.

12. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Yes I had Cloudkill, Monster Summoning III, Chaos, Feeblemind in my spell book. Level 5 scrolls can be purchased and found in many places. I never found a Cone of Cold scroll though many mages blasted it through my party. :(

13. -David_W- Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Not so you'd notice. SCS is miserly as hell about giving out extra rewards.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.