1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

How do you beat Draconis?

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Gormly, Dec 12, 2005.

1. Gormly Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] Im at draconis and he is super tuff i was wondering if anyone knew and ways to beat him, spells weapons etc.,battle tips? :smash:

Im also trying to do the quests for the guardians of helm to keep the imprisioned,imprisioned and im in the third floor that is like a maze with all the portals that lead to different rooms. To get to the next level you have to bring the scepter and three gems to the "elf madman" and he can put it together and get you to the next level. i have searched the whole area and have found the scepter and two gems but i dont know where or how to find the last one? The first two i have i got from fighting the demons and i was thinking that it might be hidden in a hidden chest or secret area? :bang: :bang:

[ December 14, 2005, 01:45: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

2. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

The third scepter gem is held by the guy at the end, a demon by the name of Aes'Gareth. You don't have to fight him to get it, but you can if you want to.

3. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

[​IMG] We talked about beating Draconis in former topics so you may search them, howver general dragon strategy may make him beatable. Though you should really tell your party so we can offer more spesific help OK?

Madman's journal can be found in the room where he is, you SHOULD read it, it gives a walk-through thru the maze, and is rather easy to solve.

You don't need madman to construct the scepter, he suffers a mental disorder, cast a Heal spell on him and he will be saved and you will get XP.

Aes'Garteh is tricky indeed, you need to make a few quick saves and loads if you want...best of things.

You can always check Walkthroughs on the net if you are really, really stuck!

Have fun!

4. Gormly Gems: 1/31

ok, thanks
    my party is

Dryak(me)
    keldorn
    minsk
    anomen
    aerie
    imoen

5. Silverstar Gems: 31/31

Veteran

Err what is Dryak's class? :confused:

Anyway, this is taken directly from the guide here in SP which can be found in:
    http://www.sorcerers.net/Games/BG2/index_tips.php

PS:Look for the 'tactics' near the end!

Draconis (Brown, but not really):
    First, a few words from Sir Kalthorine.

1) He does like to periodically go invisible and dimension door about the area. True Sight/Seeing spells are useful to have going as in my experience they seem to make him appear sooner.

2) Spread your spellcasters farther afield than you usually would, for a few reasons:
    - It keeps them active and hopefully out of range of a powerful wing buffet or dragon breath.
    - If fighters are cast aside by a wing buffet, having your nearest "other" charcter far enough away means it takes Draconis longer to reach them, which gives sufficient time for your fighters to recover and get back to him.
    - Draconis covers a large area when he goes invisible. Having a larger area covered by your party makes his meanderings easier to spot.

3) The Lower Resistance/Pierce Magic tactics work doubly for Draconis - I found that two or three of these in a Spell Trigger / Contingency at the start of the battle were a big help.

4) Once his magic resistance is down, hit him immediately with a spell protection remover (Spellstrike is the best by far) and then a spell disruptor like Insect Plague / Power Word Silence / Miscast Magic. This prevents him from summoning further Invisible Stalkers, which are a flippin' nuisance and a distraction from the main battle.

5) Don't allow your frontline fighters to be distracted by incidental enemies (the invisible stalkers). Whatever happens, keep them attacking Draconis while magic-users keep hitting the dragon with successive Breach spells. Use all your smite, critical strike and whirlwind attacks.

6) In order to keep fighters alive for as long as possible, don't underestimate the power of the 7th level priest "regeneration" spell. It doesn't have a long duration but heals a LOT of hit points while it is running.

7) Think about having at least one of your priests with a few sanctuary, Mass Cure and Heal spells memorised, and then have them track your main fighters. Start casting Heal spells BEFORE your fighters lose more than 50% of their hit points - it has a long casting time, and with Draconis's damage-causing capabilities they WILL need it by the time you have finished casting it!!

Drac is special. Very special. Gives nearly everyone trouble.
    That said, the way he keeps going invisible is sheer pain. If you can, tag him with a Glitterdust, but the way this spell currently erroneously functions, true sight will do just as well. Make sure something is up and seeing invisible at all times.
    Protection from acid technically protects against his breath, but Draconis is pretty darned good at dispelling that.
    As Sir Kal said: REGENERATION.
    Draconis' first trigger is Minor Spell Turning, Spell Immunity Abjuration, and Protection from Magic Weapons. Disassemble that right away. It's a matter of question whether the spell protections block Breach, since they do on some games but don't on others, but get rid of them anyway. Spellstrike is the best way to do it. Follow it with a Breach.
    You're not out of the woods yet. Right on the tail of that trigger he fires a sequencer with Stoneskin, Haste, and Remove Magic. Breach him again to knock off the stoneskin.
    He'll repeatedly summon Invisible Stalkers. If you don't shut him up the way Sir Kal tells you to, expect a lot of them. The 6th level spell Death Spell will clear them all with no fuss.
    Every two and a half rounds he'll be able to cast another spell turning. Watch for that and get rid of it when you can.
    He has 55% MR. Find time to get rid of that (a Time Stop helps with some of this). Hurl some damaging spells if you have time, but chances are you won't. Take down the resists, if just to shut up him and stop him from summoning a horde of stalkers.
    Just when you thought it couldn't get any better, Draconis also restoneskins himself every five rounds. Be ready to knock those off.
    This is likely the hardest dragon fight you'll find in the entire game. Taking him out conventionally is going to be quite a bit of work.

Hope this helps, that file contains LOTS of insight and tactics for other bosses though.
    Have fun!

[ December 13, 2005, 11:02: Message edited by: Silverstar ]

6. starwalker Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

If you can manage a time stop when he's invisible. Have your mage cast IA, a protection remove spell(Shield Breach in particular can be a good one to use. it does the lower resistance and breach) based on his protections, and then just plain drop as many of your damage spells on him as you can before the time stop runs out. He's particularly weak against this tactic. (Some call it cheese but hey. What works is what it takes sometimes.)

The hard part is getting him without invisibility and your time stop going at the same time. Robe of Vecna certainly helps but also make sure you pause after each spell. Particularly when you get the Improved Alacrity going.

7. Silverstar Gems: 31/31

Veteran

Or if your PC is a thief, fill his world with traps!

Extreme Cheese in Magic:
    Have Immy cast a Chain Contingency, stick 3 Project Images in it, set it to Myself, When Helpless, then cast her own new Project Image. Immy will be paralyzed, CC kicks in and you have 4 PIs, each can summon 2-3 Planetars and you will have...8-12 planetars, each summons 4 Mordenkainen's Swords and you have 16, haste them all, let Immy's' cast their protection spells on everybody, and enter combat, have each cast a Breach, Lower Resist, Pierce Shield etc. on Draconis (Do thee in Timestops for increased fun, have each Immy cast a TS with 1 second delay, so whenever ones runs out, other begins, you practically have at least 4 TSs abd with IA+Autopause this can enough kill Draconis!) add Death Spells to kill invisible stalkers, have Aerie contribute with multiple True Sights (important!) and healing, then each Immy should release an Abi Dalzim or two, whilst 8 hasted Planetars, 16 Mordys and your GWWing fighters cut poor baby Draconis into tiny pieces! Just remember to throw a breach or two in a few rounds and you will be OK.

Have fun! Do not smell the cheese! :roll:

8. Gormly Gems: 1/31

Dryak is a paladin

and i got the elfs book and followed the directions but it took me to the beginning and i couldnt find what to do there were no more monsters

9. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Draconis is a PITA only because he cheats:

1) He gets instant healing and kill-all-summons on shapeshift.
    2) He can dispell invisibility even when protected by non-detection (while you can't).
    3) He has infinite number of 'invisible stalker' summons.
    4) Some of his spells have no casting time and require no action (invisibility).

And probably some other, less blatant stuff. Anyway, you can still beat him easily. First, get your protagonist near him while he is still in his first form and let him whack you all he wants. Since you should have immunity to +1 and less weapons, he can't cause any damage. Do what you want with him.

Once he shapeshifts, quickly summon a planetar and send it in for him to whack. Keep your characters away and summon a few mordenkainen's swords. Send them in one-by-one while you pummel him with arrows and spells. Avoid time-stop, though, since those scripts of his still work in it (summon, invisibility...). Once his resistances are down, you own him.

10. Silverstar Gems: 31/31

Veteran

Elf's book should not bring you to the beginning, if you follow the instructions carefully you should reach Aes'Gareth and his crones. Just read more carefully. :p

11. Elessar Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

ok ill try it again and i baet draconis thanks to the tips from Wirhe

12. sarevok66 Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Veteran

does anyone know where i could find a protection from acid scroll in TOB? my solo berserker is having a hard time against draconis and the black scale armor has a terrible AC

i managed to slay him once but my fighter died just after a final blow and this draw was one of a hundred reloads! its driving me nuts!!

13. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Doesn't the spell merchant in Amkethran have a couple of these for sale? Also, the AC of the Black Dragon Scale armor isn't too bad. It's only 3 points behind the best armor you can wear, and those 3 points won't stop Draconis any from hitting you plenty. In fact, as of the start of ToB, AC is fairly irrelevant since everybody is going to be able to hit you just fine, regardless of your AC.

14. sarevok66 Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Veteran

yeah i knowAC doesnt mean much against high level foes, anyway i managed to defeat him at last, after a fair amount of strikes with the warblade

my problem is now abazigal, his electrical breath takes out like a 100HP!! and the problem is that to get a blue scale armor i need to defeat him first.. bummer :(

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.