1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Party Composition

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Thyorna, Aug 26, 2004.

1. Thyorna Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

I know all the SP veterans are probably sick of noobz coming here and asking for advice on party structures, but here goes anyway.
    I'm trying to make a really powerful party more heavily reliant on magic than hand-to-hand however that doesn't mean there isnt any.

I've got so far
    Undead Hunter(sheerly for immunities to level drain)
    Morituri(i have heaps of mods)
    Beserker lvl 9-->Druid
    Sorceror
    Sorceror
    Empty Spot=I want to fill it bcoz i intend to import them again so i have 6 fully powered chars

So any suggestions for the empty spot? I was thinking maybe Half-Orc fighter Thief. So thanks for any help and apologies for the length of the post

Actually when i think about it the post wasnt that long so apology rescinded

[ August 26, 2004, 12:31: Message edited by: Thyorna ]

2. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Maybe a thief/cleric? Druids are okay but they're not exactly up to the healing factor that a cleric can deliver.

3. Thyorna Gems: 6/31

I don't really need the thief, coz i have Ease-ofUse that disables traps and locks in the game. The only reason for the fighter thief was backstabbing, and i would have out all his points into hide in shadow and move silently. And mayhap pick pockets, but that would be a very first i've ever done so

4. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    It would help to know what class Morituri is. I also have heaps of mods, but I never played this one. It's always good to have a thief around regardless of whether or not you plan on backstbbing - they have some very useful HLAs, especially when combined with another class. Of course, if Morituri is a MC or DC thief, then you certainly don't need two.

Also, I think your fine with healers. Yes, a cleric might be nice, but I am a firm believer in the "one healer per party" concept.

So I'll give two answers:

1. If Morituri is NOT a thief or part thief, I would recommend a character that is a thief or part thief, and most likely do a multi-class, like a mage-thief. It gives you some useful skills, and some more arcane magic, which you said you wanted.

2. If Morituri IS a thief, then there are more options. Your Undead Hunter plus your Beserker/Druid probably is enough beef up front, especially considering that you want a spellcasting party. Maybe a bard? They're always fun. I'd especially recommend the Blade kit. The only other thing I'd consider (sticking with the magic theme) is a MC fighter/mage.

5. Thyorna Gems: 6/31

A morituri is a way overpowered fighter kit *sheepishly grins* i know overpowered kits kill the game but i wanted to use it just this once. It's a combo of monk, kensai, and barbarian.

6. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

You do realise you're not going to have any form of healer for a long time. You're DUAL classing your druid. You WILL need a cleric, maybe a ranger cleric if you want a warrior that can also cast druid spells, gain fighter and cleric HLAs but not druid HLAs.

7. Paine Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

I second the cleric/ranger suggestion, it's one of my favorite classes for Charname. They are quite versatile and a joy to play, especially when you start to pick up HLAs.

Unless your heart is set on it, I would suggest ditching the Undead Hunter and replacing with a cleric/ranger, then going with a mage/thief in the sixth slot. I don't like relying strictly on sorcerers because their spell selection is so limited, this might be mitigated by the fact that you're planning on having two though. So you could even go with a single-class thief. Assassins are always fun. :)

8. NonSequitur Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

I'd ditch the second sorceror - one is enough. Maybe you could replace them with a cleric/mage or a blade, if you want to stay fairly magic-intensive. A mage/thief might also be an option, since they can still get both groups of HLAs and can rain down impressive amounts of arcane destruction to act as a sidekick for your sorceror.

I second the earlier calls for a cleric/ranger, too - they absolutely rock, can fight, cast, sneak and generally do everything except use thief skills (which, as you've said, are irrelevant here courtesy of a mod). Maybe to replace the Berserker or in your sixth slot.

9. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mĂȘnu! Veteran

If you're admitting to being a noobie, I'd strongly suggest using the bioware NPCs, and ditch those mods. You're going to miss out on a whole big part of the game, and playing the game the way it was intended to be played.

10. Thyorna Gems: 6/31

Oh no, i'm not admitting to being a noob,, i'm just trying to placate in advance all the vets here that always get the same old questions from noobs. I've finished the game with every class except mage, i much prefer sorcerors, and alot of the kits but not all.

But thanx for alll the help, i just went for a kensai mage, and in the early part, where i had no healer there wasnt really much need, i just rested, and now i've almost reactivated my druid and have one or two levels to go to reactivate the other mage. Three arcane spell casters and 1and a half(the paladin at high levels)divine spell casters rocks.

11. Evil Dad Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Try a Cleric/mage. If you already have a Sorc, then these are fantastic. Being able to combine priest and mage spells in triggers and contingencies is awesome. An under-rated, but extremely powerful class.

12. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Bard's suggestion is best. If you want another healer, multi-class him with a mage. This is one of my favorite classes, although I admit I usually play a gnome and have a mulit-class illusionist/cleric.

13. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    I think the reason Cleric/Mage multiclasses are underrated is because their only NPC representative in unmodded BG2 is Aerie :)

Seriously, if you already have one arcane caster and one healer in the party, you don't care that much about their slow progress XP-wise, and that's the only disadvantage to an overpowered (in my opinion anyway) combination. Being able to put almost any spell in the game in a sequencer/contingency, not to mention casting all clerical spells with -4 to casting time (Robe of Vecna) is amazing. Aerie's quasi-instant Heal was what kept her in my party for one entire game.

14. Evil Dad Gems: 15/31

I must admit that I really like Aerie and she was great. My last party had her in it. The big mistake was to have her and Jan as my mages, which left me without the high level spells when I really needed them. If used with another mage, then Aerie is awesome. Being able to cast Doom with attacking spells is great. or having priest protections cast the same time as mage protections is wonderful. The only problem I found was how to equip her - do you equip her as a mage with staff/robe/etc or as a cleric with mace/chain/shield/etc.

15. Ziad

Media:
    @Bard

In that game with Aerie in my party for the duration, my PC was a Wild Mage, so I had a normal spell progression thanks to him. I didn't have any other druid/cleric, and never missed them, since Aerie could take care of healing (and a bit of buffing) pretty well. And she was, indeed, awesome.

Equipment is a bit problematic. I tend towards mage robes and rings (I had the Shadows over Soubar mod installed at the time, so I had 2 robes of Vecna), no armor at all (I used her mage spells extensively. Two simultaneous castings of Horrid Wilting is no joke), but I let her use clerical weapons, mostly Flail of Age. With a custom Cleric/Mage with higher constitution and a Belt of Strength, you could probably use her a frontliner with the array of buffing spells available from both magical sides.

The only two weaknesses in Aerie are her abysmal CON and her low INT, which means she'll die more often than even Edwin, and you'll have to give her Potions of Geniuses to memorize higher level spells.

16. Evil Dad Gems: 15/31

@Ziad: I found that Aerie and Jan could both memorize high level spells, it was just the quantity that was the problem. Slight bug me thinks!

17. Ziad

Media:
    @Bard: Now that I think of it, so could Imoen, even though her Intelligence was only 17... yep, definitely a bug.

Ok, so Aerie's the most powerful spellcaster in the game :rolleyes:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.