1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Useless versus stupidity....

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Neitsabes-Naej, Aug 2, 2001.

1. Neitsabes-Naej Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Funny. I often read on this board this class is useless. This spell is useless. This NPC is crap...

When:
    1) I'm not able to be good with a class
    2) don't find the right purpose of a spell
    3) I'm not good with an NPC
    I usually find myself a little stupid. Or not intelligent enough to understand how can it be use the right way so that I can benifit it's hidden strenght...

When I read on this board, If someone is not good with a class/spell/whatever He say this class/spell/whatever is bulls*** and that the designer put it as a "filler" for the game...

Example: I once read someone saying that the bard class should just be play by someone who is bored of the game 'cause this class is simply useless...

And I mean they REALLY think that people who use/like/promote marginal class/spell "are stupid weirdo who didn't unserstand that their mighty Warrior (or kensai/mage or Paladin) would kick their ass..."
    Wow!!! Did I miss something ? Do I come from another planet ?

Am I the only one who's thinking like this ?????

2. Seid Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I totally agree. If somebody is not good at something he will think that it's not his fault, but that thing is worthless.

I played the bard class. If you know how to play it it's a really good class.

3. Shoshino

Shoshino Irritant Veteran

Media:
    "a bad work man always blames his tools"

4. idoru Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

true... but then again, it's obvious that some classes/weapons/races will have an easier time finishing the game than others. The game isn't completely balanced. Nor should it be. It adds flavour, IMHO. But then, there are more useful things, and there are less useful things. Short sword would be a good example of a somewhat useless skill. If I'm not all wrong, which I may very well be, any character who can pick short sword could just pick long sword instead, and considering that the game is practically littered with great long swords, I see no reason not to do so. With that said, I think bg2 is by far the most balanced cRPG that I've ever played.

5. Divine Shadow Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

[​IMG] BALANCED?! I found dozens of kewl long swords during the first chapters, but it takes a long time before you find any good bastard swords.

6. corval Gems: 5/31

you can succeed with any class if you play it to its strenghts. too many people are used to being a fighter, for example, then play a thief and try to bash. an assassin can be absolutley dealdly if you know how to use him. it just takes a little more gray matter to master some of the classes.

7. Subra Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Veteran

Actually I miss your point...sounds like rambling on several semi related points...fact is ANY class/race combination is viable to complete the game as a member of a balanced party...whatever one person's opinion of a race/class for roleplay may be. People post their opinions here and if in a person's opinion bards or druids or gnomes or whatever are shit, then who are we are to tell them they're point of view isn't right for them.

8. Oricalcum Gems: 5/31

Opinions are fine. Every individual sees things slightly different. But there are some opinions that simply cannot be looked at by most in a positive way.
    Example- "I believe Godzilla 98 featured dead-on acting and a very exceptional and original script."
    Or- The monk is just horrible, I would much rather have a level 20 Wizard Slayer than a monk.

My 2 cent rant.

9. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    I agree to Subra, every class can be played through the game with sucess as part of a ballanced party, probably even the renowned half-orc jester.
    I think the main point is your playing style: In defence of bards - if you like to play fighter types you will be disappointed by a "softskinned" mage or thief or bard .... and there IMHO is no useless class - in terms of usefulness a bard for example comes just next to a thief, offering lore, pickpockets, magespells, bardsongs, reasonably good missile fire - all in all a good support char for the backline.

10. Gonzago Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

The problem is that a lot of us don't want to be 'good support for the backline.' I change it up by playing mages or clerics instead or rangers or monks (my 4 favorite classes...I can't frickin' stand multiclassing), but frankly I can't see a chaotic neutral jester leading a party with, say, Minsc and Keldorn into the bowels of hell to recover my divine essence.

The reason is simple -- We Wanna Be The Heroes.

11. Gueng Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Half-orc Jester? I thought only humans (and maybe Half-elves...) could be bards. This is kind of funny, because I'm doing a game right now with my character as a chaotic-neutral jester leading a party that includes Minsc. I've never found Bards particularly useful. In fact, I hate them. They're spoony little wussies. I decided to start one up because it's the only class I haven't tried. I think the way I'm going to run it is to exploit the jester's song to confuse everyone and plug them with arrows when they're running around dazed.

12. LonnieTheLazy Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Ive found that, alot of this game is finding your characters nich in combat as in warriors, paladins ect up front, mages, clerics ect in the back. Well the bard is a subtle mix of the two . ppl dump alot on Bards because they try to be fighters with low hp but they make that up with spells, some spells are good to use with a bard, ie StoneSkin the nich for bards is simple yet so vastly difficult. They can bolster almost any lacking part of your party, they can fight, they can cast spells, they can steal. Personnaly i like the jack-of-all-trades feel that bards endow on the players that use them.their versatility is mind boggling. the abitlity to combine magic with fighting tactics makes for an intresting fight......every time.

13. Orkrist the Cleaver Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] I was thinking just today as I continued setting up my new house and listening to Garrison Kieler, would he be a Bard? And if so, where would he live in Baldurs Gate City? I am a nerd, yes, but I do love Bards. I didn't fully appreciate them until IWD, but if I had played BG2 again I would play as a Skald. H'D was kind of cool, too, but I had to dump him in Spellhold to take in Imoen. I guess he's still there... Anyway, I think the Bard, if one were actually in the FR, would be a pretty special type of person. High charisma, good people skills, a little roguish, smart enough to learn spells, and strong enough with the right rolls to dish out some melee. I like to use my Bard (in IWD at least) as a party leader and semi-fighter until he starts to take damage, then he retreats and blasts magic missile and fireball and so on from the rear with a thief-mage or mage.

14. Oricalcum Gems: 5/31

I dont believe I could stand the "jack-of-all-trades" feel for a bard(Read:Master of none). I would prefer a mage, thief, and fighter to 3 bards.

15. LonnieTheLazy Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

hehe well i guess we all have different feelings for the Bard but being able to fit in any situation is very tempting as a class choice

16. Oricalcum Gems: 5/31

Well, seeing as all my saves are gone for whatever reason I cannot remember, I suppose I might start a Bard just to be a hypocritical ass. Grrr...

17. Haymaker D'apeon Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Aye. Well i don't see how one can complain about being a crappy class in the game. You have a party. A party with different classes, well hopefully you do. If you are smart (if you are smarT) you would have somewhat of a diverse party. Ie, 2-3 fighter/thief type, atleast 1 priest, and atleast mage/sorcerer. So essentially you are playing a slew of different classes along with your own character. So by that, one shouldn't have a hard time adjusting to different classes because you are essentially already playing with many classes. Unless you have a group of all onetype of vocational characters. Which i id oubt... would make the game pretty challenging ;)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.