1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Who needs healing potions (Minor Spoiler)

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Gnolyn Lochbreaker, Aug 7, 2001.

1. Gnolyn Lochbreaker Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] Minor Spoiler below
    So my party is battling it's way through a whole battalion of dwarf slaves and orogs when I notice that my Ranger is in need of some healing (I won't mention where).

Boy was I wrong! She normally has 92 hit points fully healed -- but when I look, she's got 163 of 201! Wielding the upgraded Foebane +5 she casts Larloch's Drain with nearly every hit. She's also wearing the Ring of Regeneration. After slaughtering some 20 enemies, her hit points have more than doubled, and just keep going up! I *love* this sword :) Who needs healing potions with this thing? Just had to share.

2. Tyresian Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Well let's see, i had the sword which boosted my hit points to 304 and i was fighting Abazigal on hard difficulty. The bastard uses his breath weapon on my main char, who is also a ranger, and my char takes 280 some odd damage. Yep, im glad i have 7 bags full of potions of extra and superior healing. Besides, i can't be bothered to wait for small things such as the health of my party members and im not going to memorize healing spells.

3. Lord Praetor Munir Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

SPOILER ABOUT ENDGAME!!!
    ;
    ;
    ;
    ;
    ;
    ;
    ;
    ;
    ;;
    ;
    ;
    ;
    ;
    but you better still keep those healing potions, esp the superior healing potions, coz when you go pass that door in the Abyss... you can't rest.. so those healing potions and spells will help you heal from each encoutner fast enough...

4. Modjahed Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Foebane is good.

However I like the other one:

Korgan wielding Crom Faeyr and Axe of Unyielding, having 197 HP without any Larloch's Drains and having a CON of 20 (21 when I upgrade his axe), plus the ring of Gaxx, is regenerating more that 1 HP per SECOND (around 5 hp per 4 seconds).
    No need for healing either - everybody in my party - my Swashy/Mage, Viccy and Korgan has some regeneration rings.

5. Big B Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

[​IMG] The thing that gets to me about healing potions is that in between drinking them there is a pause. By the time you get to ToB, a lot of fights you stop to drink a potion but by the time you drink it you are hurt just as much as before. And then you get surrounded by all these enemies and you're trapped, you can't even make a path to flee to get healed. If you stay and fight you had better have very good AC, and even in ToB you're gonna get hit hard. So you gulp a potion but by the time you have, you're hurt just as much and can't gulp another for a few seconds.
    Game balance I suppose, nevertheless it can be annoying. Just makes it a challenge, and what's wrong with a challenge?

6. Gonzago Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Yeah...Keldorn running away to safety just to down a beverage does seem a bit out of character. Ah, well.

7. Gnolyn Lochbreaker Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I found that very *very* annoying :mad:

Under the turn-based system, okay, sure, you only have one action per round. But it never seemed to apply to enemies though! They always seem to be able to undertake several actions in a given round when it comes to healing and potions in general.

Anyway, I found one method that works quite often. When you've got someone who's in desperate need of several healing potions, have them take a potion of invisibility first. Then you don't have to worry about begin dead before the system will let you take another. You can sit there and drink down several over a number of rounds.

Of course, then there's enemies who cast True Seeing constantly..... ;)

But I still love that sword! She (my ranger) rarely needs assistance.

[This message has been edited by Gnolyn Lochbreaker (edited August 26, 2001).]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.