1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Favorite Dual-wield Combos?

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Drumheller, May 8, 2003.

1. Drumheller Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Let's hear em! I'm trying to decide what my Fighter/Thief will use while she's still low level so I can pick the right proficiencies. What's worked well for you (any char)?

2. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Are you role-playing? Probably not. So I'd do hammer/katana (Crom and Celestial Fury) to cover blunt and sharp with all of the various positives that go along with those weapons. BTW, a dual wielding character with a hammer and a sword is absurd, but the game allows it.

3. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

I feel it's good roleplaying for my dwarven berserker to have the Axe of the Unyielding in his main hand and Crom Faeyr in his left. Both are very Dwarven weapons, and having said Axe with 25 strength behind it is sweet.

With Anomen or other relevant clerics, the Runehammer plus either Stormstar or the Flail of Ages is formidable.

4. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    [​IMG] I'd say that with a 25 STR, you could dual wield a telephone pole with a toothpick and do just fine.

5. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I had recent success with a Barbarian dualing Celestial Fury with the Flail of Ages. This is pre-Crom Fayr of course. But, for a thief...

Maybe try Celestial Fury and Belm +2, until you pick up the Spectral Brand in Watcher's Keep. Not only does it LOOK cool, but these are both thief weapons that do substancial elemental damage on top of their regular damage. So I'd pick up the Scimitar/Wakizashi/Ninja-to along with Katanas as your proficiencies. Maybe longswords too, for a little more variety.

6. Iago Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Celestial Fury, for it's the best sword around, and coolest graphic-wise, Katanas rock. Second weapon, as a thief, if not another katana, a short sword. Simple and effectiv. Arbane's sword is aviable early on in the game.

But the most fun was a two axes wielding ranger.

7. Drumheller Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Good ideas so far (esp. the telephone pole . . . will that inflict damage over time from the splinters? ;) ). Specifically for my F/T, I'd like to stick to thief-usable weapons so I can Assasinate later on, but I'm willing to consider anything.

8. Kenixkil Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

I tried dual wielding a Katana(Celestial Fury) and daggers(that's probobly from Freedom's Reign or TDD). The dagger had a poison ability, so my F/T could poison stuff without becoming an assasin... but of course, this dosen't give much damage on the off hand(methinks I like Enteri too much..)

9. JSBB Gems: 31/31

If you are playing with the acid kensai component of the tactics mod then Celestial Fury and Sanchuudoku are a ridiculously overpowered dual wield combo. In terms of legit combos I tend to favour the Axe of the Unyielding and Crom Faeyr for Korgan and Celestial Fury and either Hindo's Doom or Spectral Brand for my swashbuckler/kensai/kensai-thief protagonists.

10. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    For my evil fighter/thief:
    secondary weapon - Angurdavaal (negative energy protection and strength boost)
    primary weapon - Hindo's Doom, magic resistance, and great damage range for Assasination and backstabbing.
    alternate primary weapon - Answerer +4, for those occassions when I feel the need to reduce the target's magic resistance (e.g. the climax of Ascension)

For my good fighter/mage:
    secondary weapon - Hindo's Doom, magic resistance.
    primary weapon - Flail of Ages, slow power and plenty of elemental damage.
    alternate primary weapon - Answerer +4, same thing.

11. corbulo87 Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

A good combo earlier on in the game for a Fighter/Thief would be Longsword and Shortsword. You'll find that these are pretty common enchanted weapons (Shortsword of Backstabbing +3, Blade of Roses +3, Arbane's Shortsword +2) earlier on. Just make sure you pick up some better ones as you progress, as the longsword department is loaded!

12. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I can imagine a character using 2 easy-to-wield weapons. Or 2 hard-to-wield weapons. But I can't see the fun of wielding a katana with a warhammer, or a scimitar with a flail.
    I love to wield 2 blunt weapons: Crom Faeyr with Flail of Ages, Mace of Disruption with a fine Morningstar.
    My chars can only use an axe as a slashing weapon when dualwielding it with a blunt weapon.
    Two the same kind of weapons is always good (2 katanas, 2 scimitars, 2 warhamers), except for 2 bastard-swords.

Just some 'rules' I applied to myself. Simply because they make some sense to me.

*mutters* Pfoah! A very well balanced, superquick katana dualwielded with a clumsy and heavy flail. Tsk! ;)

13. r'Hant Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Main hand:

<katana> Celestial Fury - it hardly gets any better than this, also you can backstab with it. :cool:

Off hand:

<battlehammer> Crom Faeyr - as stated above, this is a ridiculous, over-powered combo.

<katana> <scimitar> These go better with a katana.

<long sword> There are a lot of them out there, so you might find something you fancy.

<short sword> As a thief, this is the weapon choice of your profession. If you have already played through the game, and you are looking for an intense experience, try dual-wielding two short swords (similar to Haer'Dalis).

14. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    I liked the Celestial Fury, combined with the Flail of Ages +5 or Crom Faeyr, Hindo´s Doom is a weapon I must try out though

Hindo´s Doom! Can you say it? Hindo´s DooooOOOoooOOoom

15. Blackhawk Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Celestial Fury and Blackrazor (from the Nine Hells in SoA)

16. Malovae Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

What are the stats for hindo's doom. Its a Katana from watchers keep right? Can you upgrade it with Cespy?

I like duel weilding celesial fury and blackrazor as well. I've always wanted to dual weild daggers but your charcters just look stupid running up to, say, a dragon with something you could eat your sunday's dinner with - perhaps if the avatar could show the daggers pointing the other way round, it might look good :) ??

17. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Well, in the spirit of friendly argument and all in good fun, ...

When my fighter/mage has a strength of 19, he isn't going to find the Flail of Ages very hard to swing. And the Hindo's Doom as the off-hand makes sense, a sort of flick-flick type weapon with his left hand.

Believe it or not, I had a feeling beforehand that the priest in MofN's personality would love to dual-wield Crom Faeyr and the Flail before he even posted. ;)

Hindo's Doom is found after you kill the Green Dragon in Watcher's Keep, 5th level. It is then upgraded by Cespenar with Hindo's Hand, found in the Koa-toan section of Abazigal's Lair. It's stats are then:
    +4 katana
    permanent Death Ward on wielder
    +10% magic resistance
    Greater Restoration 1/day

18. Subra Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Veteran

Fighter/Thief dual wielding Celestial Fury and Belm
    later Hindo's Doom and Scarlet Ninja-to (UAI)

19. LKD Gems: 31/31

Veteran

If I'm a Kensai, I like Katana and Mace -- for blunt weapons, the mace just seems to me to be the most Kensai-ish choice. I always like to wield a blunt and edged if at all possible.

20. TheGilGalad Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Angarduval and crom faeyr.

Nuff said.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.