1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Klorox's sorcerers' spell list: please comment

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Klorox, Apr 5, 2004.

1. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

No worries mate...I read through the whole thing before posting this, and truth be told, it didn't make much sense to me either :p :p :p .

What I was trying to say was you don't get many 7th level spells to spam them like you would Skull Trap/Fireball or Magic Missile.

Anyway...stuff it, Klorox can use either strategy and pwn the game because, as we all know,

:evil: :evil: Sorcerers are EVIL!!! :evil: :evil:

[ April 14, 2004, 14:07: Message edited by: Faraaz ]

2. people person-i eat people Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

thanks mate! :D

and also i like sorcs, but sometimes i find they are kind of overpowered

3. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mênu! Veteran

Well, I'm not that far into the game, but I haven't found my character to be signifigantly more powerful than my NPCs.

4. Faraaz Gems: 26/31

Wait till you hit 7th level spells...heck...if you know what you're doing, wait till you hit 6th level spells!! :evil:

Sorcerers are way too good! Once you get Stoneskin, its heaps easier to survive against the onslaught. Add protection from magic weapons as soon as you can get it, and you are effectively guaranteed 4 rounds of spell casting peace, plus how many ever skins you have saved up. And the incredible flexibility you have with the sorcerer is the best part.

*Tip* Keep a stoneskin on your sorc all the time!

Coming back to the flexibility, you have a stoneskin on...if you see a large crowd of baddies heading your way, just slap a Prot. from Magic Weapons on, then wade into the enemies. Start unleashing the greater malisons and sunfires(you DID pick sunfire didnt you? Its the most useful mass damage spell for a solo sorc there is) or fireballs or what not. If you find your sorc taking damage, slap a stoneskin on! (If you have a robe of vecna, it casts instantly)

Drink a potion of healing, and start casting those damage spells again. Once you get level 7 spells, pick Mordenkainen's Sword as fast as possible. Once you get Staff of the Magi, get Project Image. Cast two Mord. Swords at the enemies, then go BERSERK from the backlines!

Where are you upto now Klorox? (Spell level wise...and what spells have you got?)

If you told me those, I could probably come up with some customized :evil: recipes for pain! :evil:

5. Klorox

I'm level 15 now, after putting this game down for quite some time.

6. Advanced Simplicity Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

You've come all the way to lvl15 in just 6 months? You're one hardcore gamer man :D :D :D

7. Stu Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

I found Mordenkainens sword is one of the most usefull spells available - I used it heaps.
    Haste is great for doubling the effectiveness of your summons and of course wizard eye to keep track of them. Keep the spider spawn and web combo - it works fairly well albeit tedious. I would use the wand of cloudkill as it disregards MR and it frees up a spell slot. Polymorf self is practically redundant after you get the cloak of the sewers and I find that identify is significantly more useful than burning hands.

8. angryguy Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I cannot believe how many people are knocking finger of death. It insta-kills better than anything else, imo. Dragons, mages loads of bosses fall to this.

And death spell- the best thing about this is that it destroys trolls, twice. Double xp for my solo sorc!
    But it also saves time and effort when you encounter minor munchkins in SOA.

9. Faraaz Gems: 26/31

Well, the reason for all the FoD knockin' would be that though it is effective, it very rarely succeeds when it matters the most, which sucks for a lvl 7 spell.

The trouble with the spell is that it isn't very practical. Most of the time you would want to use FoD would be on powerful characters who it is hard to melee or assault with spells. As it so happens, most such characters have magic resistance, which drastically reduces the chances of the spell getting through.

Also, characters which have magic resistance usually have good saves as well. :(

So...if you want a FoD to work reliably, to make it foolproof, you have to cast Lower magic resistance (1 or 2 or even 3 depending on how much MR the enemy has), after which you have to cast Greater Malison to lower their saves. Finally you cast FoD.

This would work out great if you had cast Time Stop prior to all this, but usually, it doesnt work out.

SO...FoD sucks. :p

10. Scythe Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Surely Lower Resistance + Greater Malison + FoD (trigger on sight, in the middle of a battle) is what chain contingency was made for :)

11. Malovae Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

I would memorise FoD only if I was using a cleric mage as I could combine GM and Doom after the Lower Res. and the FoD giving a -8 penalty to enemies saves against this bad boy... making it somewhat effective. I would rarely take it with a Sorcerer however.

12. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I found the 4th level spell Spirit Armour to be very useful. I hate it when my spellcasters gets interrupted and a sorcerer with mirror image, blur, spirit armour and stoneskin can be under attack for quite a while before he is really struck.

When it comes to the higher levels all you really need are abi dalzim and time stop. Spice this with some protection removers and you wont use many other spells except for fun or for show. Many a battle have been decided by a timestop+imp alacricity+chain contingency 3xabi+the rest of the abis you have. Might want to toss in a pierce magic or breach there to make those enemy mages vulnearable. If you are in a party improved haste should be your best friend, no spell does as much damage as a tank with 7-9 attacks per round for many rounds in a row.

13. Klorox

I had to reinstall the game and have finally decided to start a Sorcerer again. Thie thread was useful to me last time, and I thought bumping it here might allow it to have a bit more input.

BTW jaoquin: I remember rarely, if ever having my sorcerer get into combat. I don't really want to choose any of the armor spells and hope I can get away without using them.

Also of note: I'm setting out with this game as a no reloads game.

14. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Personally, I like the versatility of mages; able to know every single spell. Add some cleric levels; and I have nearly every spell available in the game! I just can not cast them that much though. :)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.