1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Who is Elminster?

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Bobthekillercow, Nov 20, 2006.

1. Bobthekillercow Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Who is this dude who keeps showing up.

His name is Elminster if memory serves. He's obviously important since they wont give me a chance to rend him limb from limb like I did with Drizzt and his band or Seamon Havarian on that part with the boat.

Cuz he looks interesting and since he's leader of the Harpers I'm guessing that he'd put up a good fight.

Although, what is he against a Demi-God? MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! *Fart*

2. Colthrun

Colthrun Walk first in the forest and last in the bog Veteran

3. Andyr Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

There are many more powerful wizards than Elminster, although he's probably the most iconic one in the setting. :)

4. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Ofcourse you can not kill him. He is THE Elminster of Shadowdale afterall, Drizzt is sure powerful and all, but he is not Elminster. Elminster is very powerful, has lots of unique abilities, and is the lover of Mystra, goddess of all magic, among other things. :p Some say he is the alter-ego of the creater of the D&D games. (uh what was his name? Shame on me! :aww: )

A common usage of Elminster in many dungeons&dragons games, many dungeon masters also like using Elminster in their campaigns somwhat, by letting him giving cryptic warnings and advices to players. This is same in Avatar Trilogy novels and BG computer game series.

Read Avatar Trilogy, it contains nice info about Elminster and the origins of Bhaalspawn saga. Or you can pick Elminster books, there are plenty of them around to choose from, the guy is VERY popular!

5. kuemper Gems: 31/31

Ed Greenwood created the Forgotten Realms world for DnD. Elminster is thought to be his alter ego.

6. Silverstar Gems: 31/31

Veteran

^Ahh yes, how could I forget? Sorry! Thank you, Kuemper, BTW!

7. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Except that many have rated them crap. "First level 1 newbie, then level 100+ killing machine", if I remember correctly.

8. Silverstar Gems: 31/31

Veteran

^Hmm, yeah, but there are lost of divine inerference there, I have to say Mystra helps the mage woman a lot, so...it is possible?

9. Colthrun

Colthrun Walk first in the forest and last in the bog Veteran

@Wordplay: Have you read it? Kelenvor and Cyric at least are depicted as well seasoned adventures, and I don't remember reading anything suggesting that the heroes were "low level". Perhaps Midnight, being a young mage, but she was helped by Mystra, as Silverstar pointed out.

10. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    The Avatar Series is one of the best series of FR books, actually.

11. Silverstar Gems: 31/31

Veteran

^I agree with Taluntain. I really enjoyed the series.

12. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Could be. It has been some time since I have meddled with eBooks and the like. You can always check out what the reviews at Amazon.com say, since that's where I checked them out. It could had been another serie.

13. Clixby Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

According to what I've heard, Elminster is an alter ego of the all-powerful Mary Sue.

14. Urithrand

Urithrand Mind turning the light off? ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    IIRC Elminster is one of the chosen of Mystra, along with others such as Khelben Blackstaff. He was trained by her personally in a mortal incarnation ;)

15. The Gatekeeper Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

He's a legend, very little people of noble regard haven't heard of him. nuff said.

16. Andyr Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

IIRC the protagonists in the Avatar Trilogy are meant to be somewhere in the level 5-10 range at the beginning of the series (though of course a lot has happened by the end), so comfortably mid-level.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.