1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Solo character

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Sephiroth, May 6, 2003.

1. Sephiroth Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Very much of you have a solo character with whom he bet the game. Now I'm asking how you play a solo character, what charakter class he should be and so on. Every character I started as solo got slaughtered veeeeery soon :( .Even my killer mage (lvl.28) hadn't a chance against Firnkragh in his solo game :sosad: .

2. Viking Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

You are surely jesting my friend?

A level 28 mage does very nasty things with spells and Firkrag is dust!

Essentially a 10 second battle:

1) Spell trigger 2 x lower resistance, one greater mallison.
    2) Timestop.
    3) Greater Alacricity.
    4) Horrid wilting till he drops.
    5) Pick up the stuff and off you go.

There really are very many ways to skin this cat, but against a 28th level mage he shouldn't get a look-in.

3. Sephiroth Gems: 14/31

Well, I will try it, and what should I do about this $hit magic resistant golems ?

4. War Nerve

War Nerve And it took me back to something that I'd lost

I prefer the fighter / mage or fighter / thief / mage. It's nice having decent hand-to-hand combat abilities since you probably won't want to waste spells on weaker enemies.

5. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Errr . . . . You read the part about the spell trigger with two lower magic resistance spells, right? That will essentially knock out the resistance of most foes when you are level 28.

If you want a dominating solo and can put up with some early strategies that involve a lot of waiting, make a monk. By the time the end of the game comes around, he is almost completely magic resistant, deals out tons of damage very quickly with his bare hands, and has some neat abilities.

Most people who solo have tried a F/M/T at one time or another and, quite frankly, with or without the top mage HLA's this character is pretty easy to take through a solo game (without Ascension that is). If you really have patience, take the character through BG1 to get all of the stat boosts from the tomes, then go into BGII.

I have found that it takes less than 10 minutes of re-rolling in BG1 to get a character with 93 attribute points. You can have a character with 18, 18, 18, 18, 15, 6 in BG1. When done with the tomes, the character is imported into BGII with 161,000 exp points, and 19, 19, 19, 19, 18 (remember, there are 3 wisdom tomes), 7. By the time you've gone through TOB, the stats are 20, 20, 20, 20, 19, 8, and that is without any items. This frees your character to use protective things (i.e., belts, etc.) rather than needing to boost stats. Combine this physical specimine with the best of all of the equipment and the ability to buff pre-fight, the ability to start most fights by backstabbing the enemby mage and instantly killing him, and throw in some nasty spell during combat, and this character simply cannot be touched.

There you go, a powergaming solo primer.

6. Sephiroth Gems: 14/31

I red it and I think it's quiet usefull, but it doesn't helps against 4 magic resistant golems :(
    Starting BG 1 again isn't such a bad idea ...

*goes searching his game archievs*

7. Keihdra Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

[​IMG] For the magic resistant golems just pull out an ordinary stick and beat them to death!

8. Sephiroth Gems: 14/31

Sure, Keihdra ...
    Why not throwing stones, that's much safier :D

9. Keihdra Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Sticks or stones.... Seriously, non-enchanted weapons make the magic golems easy.

10. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I don't think we're talking about the magic golems, I think it's probably some of the other, regular golems which have various resistances. It would probably help if we knew what part of the game you were talking about, as the strategy differs. For example, if you are talking about golems in the D'Arnise hold, you can take them one at a time by forcing combat on them before they turn red on you. On the other hand, guerilla tactics are the way to go in the elven city.

11. dshadow Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

I beat Firkraag pretty easily with a solo fighter/mage. I cast Time Stop then pounded on him with greater whirlwind attack until he died, which he did before the spell ran out. If you're just playing a solo mage you won't have access to greater whirlwind attack but at 28th level you should have at least a couple of Time Stops so just cast one, whack him a bit then cast the next before the first one runs out.

12. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

[​IMG] Why would you even want to attack Firkraag with a soloing Mage in the first place? Killing him will give you nothing of value to a mage.

Instead you should make sure you can take out Kangaxx and the Twisted Rune group. Those are encounters which can truly benefit a soloing mage. :)

13. Sephiroth Gems: 14/31

Sure Kangaxx, I couldn't even beat him with my whole party ... :(

14. Viking Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

It's all in the planning....

Easiest way to kill Kangaxx that I've found:

Take 1 scroll of undead protection.
    HLA energy blades will hit.
    Robert's your father's brother.

You will need protection from evil iirc as he's likely to gate a demon in.

[Edit]
    Earl G is absolutely right though, Firkrag gives nothing to a solo Mage in terms of items, but of course it is FUN, and you do need the key for the sewers if you want to assemble Crom.

Kangaxx and the Twisted Rune are a must though.

For the Twisted Rune, you must plan, try, re-think, and then try again. It's all about strategy.

[Edit]

15. Loerand

Loerand My heart holds no fear for death

[​IMG] Don't you get that key from Tazok?

16. Sephiroth Gems: 14/31

Yeah, you get it from him. ( I still don't understand we he's still living in BG 2 ... :confused: )
    What's the "Twisted Rune" ?
    And one qustion at last, if you have a Kensai on lvl. 10, and than make him to a mage, will he than later learn the spezial abilities for a fighter ( e.g. whirlwind ) or only the magic one's ?

17. Earl Grey

[​IMG]
    Exactly, when soloing I prefer to run in there, trash the place, grab the key and be out again in 20 minutes. Firkraag will be left to ponder on what all that noise upstairs was about. :cool:

Remember the "speed soloing" I and StressedE did last year? Kangaxx and the Twisted Rune are taken out on the first game day. I used a F/M/T and StressedE used a Barbarian.

Topic here:
    http://www.sorcerers.net/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=003811;p=2

18. Sephiroth Gems: 14/31

Earl Grey, I may be a bit stupid, but what should a topic, about the fastest rush through BG 2, have to do with my question ? (I'm also not sure on what question you answered :D )

19. dmc

Media:
    Once you dual class, you close out the chance to get the HLA's of the first class.

Why dual a kensai at level 10? Do it at 9, when you get another weapon proficiency, 12 (same), or 13 (extra 1/2 attack per round).

The twisted rune is a neat little group that offers a fun battle tactically (especially for a solo) and presents the number one item for a mage class, whether or not you are soloing the game -- the Staff of the Magi. If you want spoilers for it, a quick search on these forums will tell you where it is, how to get there, and what tactics to use.

20. Earl Grey

[​IMG] Well, I could write a sort of walkthrough of the first day of a speed solo character, with detailed tactics used in the major battles during that day, if there is a desire for such a thing.

[ May 08, 2003, 01:22: Message edited by: Earl Grey ]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.