1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Male or Female?

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Drathir Darthirii, Oct 8, 2005.

1. Drathir Darthirii Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Don't you think that the balance of romances in the game is unfair? When you have a female character, there is one possible romance to choose. On the other hand, with a male character, there are three. I don't think this is fair. Anomen is an arrogant person to love, nd most people won't, whereas Aerie seems quite nice, Jaheira's okay and viconia is interesting. Pardon me, but I am annoyed.

2. Undertaker Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

That's why Mods are so cool!

3. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Yes, it may be annoying but you can not do anything but to install mods if you like female PCs and want a better romance than Anomen. Some mods add other NPCs romancable, whilst some allows any NPC to romance wtih PC regardless of sex and race. This means your female PC can romance Aerie, Viccy, and Jaheira, one by one, or all of them at once! (via concurrent romances component of EoU)

Wow 4 adventurer women all in love! Sounds hot, if you are into that sort of thing ofcourse! :shake:

4. Rhyllian Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

@ Moon Elf:

I totally share your annoyance! When I had first heard that BG2 would allow PCs to romance NPCs, I thought it was a nifty development that mirrored a lot of what went on in PnP games I've played. (At least, the ones that had more role-playing than roll-playing...) When I discovered that not only did the game skew the balance of romances in favour of male PCs, but also that the only NPC romanceable by female NPCs was, IMHO, the least desirable NPC of the lot, I was royally cheesed off.

I know the majority of gamers are male, and I've seen the ratio of 9:1 male-to-female bandied about here and there, but in my own personal experience, the gaming groups I've played in comprise more of a 5:4 ratio of male-to-female, if not an outright 1:1. We're not quite as rare as common wisdom tends to hold, and it sure would be nice to see this recognized in any future installments in the BG series. (Not just for romances, either... are any other female players sick of having barmaids offer to show them their "diddies?" :rolleyes: )

In the meantime, thank heaven for the modding community! Due to the diligence of wonderful people like Westley Weimer, Sillara of the Tamari, and Jason Compton, there are a lot more fish in the sea than ol' Noname Nerdly. (And some promising works-in-progress, too, ranging from developments of Haer'Dalis as a romance-enabled NPC, to totally new characters, like Aklon the monk and Cailean the archer.) Suddenly, it's great to be a female in Faerun! :D

(Personally, though, I'll stick with my favourite sorceror-dude. I've always been partial to redheads, what can I say? ;) )

5. kuemper Gems: 31/31

When I understood there were romances, I thought, 'Goodie!' Of course, I read up all I could and realized how the female PC gets royally screwed (no pun intended).

My first game was with a female elf F/M romancing Anomen. Firstly, he's too much of an a** for me. Secondly, I'd played all the quests in chapter 2 so I was strong enough to rescue Imoen and discovered (to my dismay) that I'd finished the romance. :confused: Finally, I learned of these things called 'modifications' and this strange mod idea of 'a joinable, romanceable NPC'. Here is Kelsey Coltrane, sorcerer extraordinaire. :love: Another mod that makes a difference is Flirt Pack - don't romance without it!

The Flirt Pack makes Anomen more interesting and I was able to see the vulnerable, little boy underneath his brash exterior.

Though I will say it's disturbing to see the 4 romances are 1) all priests of some kind and 2) have some wacky, emotional problem. Another thing that is very weird is the Jaheira romance. I can see it happening on some level, but am I the one person who sees her as a 'mother figure' for the PC? :nono:

I am thankful to those who do romanceable NPCs, though now there seems to be a glut of them. Still, I miss Jabarkas from Treasures of the Savage Frontier. Now *that* was romance! ;)

6. Ecniv Sllew Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Noone in Faerun likes females.

7. The Magpie

The Magpie Balance, in all things Veteran

No, but I'm sure Freud would have some comment about that. Can anyone say Oedipus Complex? :shake:

8. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    Then good thing the child of this couple isn't named Antigone :shake:

No but seriously, I can understand the women of Bg2 being pissed off. I like most people hate Anomen.

I assume you're speaking of the exploit of creating a male pc and then using whatever mean to create a Female, so the game labbel all females romancable as ''possible'' to the Female PC? Then It'll be *possible* to have a male homosexual romance with Anomen, though that's just plain gross.

Anyway about the fours woman romance.

Even though I'm into women I still find that disturbing... un ménage à quatres (four ye non french :p ) With Aerie, Vicconia, Jaheira, and the Female PC is kinda weird. C'mon what would be more disturbing than Aerie and Vicconia engaged in Homosexual relation? :eek:

9. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    Now that's a really disturbing image...

10. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Seriously, is the 'romance' really THAT important to a swords and sorcerers fantasy computer game? If you want to play romances, play The Sims or something.

11. kuemper Gems: 31/31

@HB - The last CRPG I played with romances was Treasures. Not much to it when all you needed to keep in mind was who went down the stairs first.

12. NonSequitur Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

@ Ofelix,

Anomen and Keldorn would be much, much more disturbing. Thankfully, no sick freak of a modder (that I know of) has seen fit to stoop so low.

@ HB,

Since I'm a role-player and not a power-gamer, I think they add a great dimension to the game... if done properly. They shouldn't just be in there for the sake of it, and since they're completely optional, they have no real impact on the eventual outcome of Shadows Of Amn (and arguably, on ToB as well).

On the other hand, consider how much less dramatic either of the KotOR games or NWN OC would be without the romances (particularly the ones with female NPCs)? They'd certainly be much less enjoyable to play through.

13. Hyperion Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Yeah, the game is very unbalanced from this point of view. If, at least, Haer'Dalis would've been available, as it was intended first time... Since he's not, I always play male. Anomen is not an option for me. He wouldn't be even if I were a woman...

Four, if you count Mazzy.

14. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

:eek: There's a Mazzy romance?!?

15. Western Paladin Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

Someone at Spellhold Studios is making one, but there is none in the original game.

16. Undertaker Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

17. Hyperion Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

IIRC, if you are one of the shorter races (halfling, gnome, dwarf), you get the romance with Mazzy. There is love triangle between you, Korgan and Mazzy. I can't confirm this, but a friend of mine did it. And, if it's as he said, this is in the original game, unmoded.

18. Western Paladin Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

Really? I can't confirm it either, as I don't use Mazzy all that often, but neither have I read about it in any documentation, guides, or information about the game I've ever seen. :hmmm:

19. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] The Korgan Mazzy thing is just where Korgan pesters her.

I have been working on Mazzy for a while but it's pretty slow I'm afraid. There is also one on SPS :)

[Edit] Haven't updated site in a while I'm afraid :lol:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.