1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Thief early solo

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Arian, Jun 13, 2003.

1. Arian Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I was thinking of trying to run a solo through BG2 on Insane and I was thinking of what to use. I thought about Sorcerer because I like magic but it would be just too easy (Lower Res x3, Timestop, Alacrity, Abi Dalzims, BORING) and then I thought about a Ranger/Cleric dual but I heard that's massively overpowered too (never tried it myself) and I also thought about a Shapeshifter with the rebalancing mod, but that also seems too good as soon as you get Greater Werewolf. So that leaves me with a thief, just because their fun. But how do they do the earlier levels (Chapter 2-4 or so)? I know once they get HLAs it's no problem but early on it seems all they have going for them is backstab. Any ideas? And also, any thoughts on kits? I was thinking either Assasin or just a straight thief but wasn't sure. Thanks.

2. Tayja Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Monks can be fun to run solo. Although, like some others you've mentioned... they are difficult at first and overpowered later.

I love playing assasins. They not only get a better backstab, but their poisoning ability used on a ranged weapon, like darts, is very useful. Downside- they only get 15 added ability points per level. Finding traps and opening locks is slow going at first.... Get lots of potions.

3. Death Whisper Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

thiefs are very hard to play.

they are lousy fighters (compared to other classes) and you will find yourself getting fustrated because it took you 5 minutes to hit 3 times.

personally i think pure thiefs sucks...

if i where you, i would either do a multiclass thief or dual class him (human only).

i , myself, soloed a dualed kensai\thief level 25\27.

i found it hard when the dualing took place, but luckely you keep the hla's gained by the other class at all time (the only thing that you get to keep from the other class when dualing).

but if i where you, i would try a dualed or multi classed thief.

if you want abit more fun.....try to stick with the first ability roll you receive without changing it ^_^

and oh....your other class things will come back at once you have surpassed that classed level.

4. Keihdra Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Go with the Assassin. I've soloed him through chapters 2-3 a couple of times. I always get the tuigan bow from the beastmaster in the Copper Coronet first. It is easier to backstab from a distance simply because it is easier to hide in the shadows again. If you don't like backstabbing though, I'd recommend the Swashbuckler as he is practically a fighter anyway. Hope this helps. :)

5. Harkle Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

If you want a good backstabber, take assassin. Or if you want more skills, take pure thief. Either way, it will be challenge.

Put some points in set traps, because traps will help you a lot, especially when fighting against powerful enemies. Detect illusions is also useful when fighting against mages.

6. Arian Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

All that sounds good. To whoever said multi/dual, I'm not sure if I want to do that, it seems all mutlis and duals become overpowered once their second class gets some skills racked up.

7. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    If you dual a human ranger or fighter right away to a thief, that may not be too overpowered (a multi F/T will go through the second half of the game like a hot poker through butter). You'll have 7th level Fighter THAC0 for most of the first half of the game (it won't take all that long to hit 8th level thief) which is good but not great by any means, you'll have 80 or so hit points to start (better than the 55-60 or so you'll start with as a pure thief), which will negate the initial difficulty but not make you too powerful for the second half of the game.

Of course, you are then limited to a pure thief. However, I believe that a fighter dualled to a thief may ultimately be more powerful than an assassin (a multi F/T definitely is). If you get extraordinary strength, your backstabs will cause more damage than an assassin even without the extra damage modifiers (assuming no strength belts). Plus, you'll hit with your backstab more with this character.

Strength belts might make this moot, but I prefer to take a character through BGI so that you can bump his strength to 19 before BGII. Then, if you do Watcher's Keep early enough, you're operating with a strength of 20 through a good portion of SOA. Finally, assuming you're evil and/or don't mind becoming evil, you can bump strength again in Hell for an opertaing strength of 21 through TOB and the old strength belt can be discarded.

Of course, you can really cheese and start your character with dual class profs and hammer profs to us Crom Faer in your off hand to boost strength to 25 so that your backstab with your main hand will be pure devastation.

Man, how did I wander into this powergaming, off-topic brain dump?? :hmm:

8. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

I don't find duals that overpowered -- the points all balance out eventually.

I've never soloed, but if I were to solo a thief, I'd take the Assassin -- he has some combat bonuses IIRC, the poisoning is good, the backstabbing better, and the fewer thieving points becomes a moot point once everything hits 100 -- even if you have 300% in a skill, there's still a 1% of failure. So you wait about 4 levels more before maxing out your skills -- big deal!

9. the assassin Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

uno question......wouldnt you end up either: using A LOT of potions, OR running from some early fights? When u run into the regular group of 6 between city sections, my early team of four occasionally got slaughtered......
    and then theres vampires......with your relatively cruddy thac0 and AC, how do you expect to live? And either way, id only be able to live with the shadow dragon armour......a single thief slaying a dragon?

[ June 18, 2003, 08:19: Message edited by: the assassin ]

10. Valer Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Assassin is the best character to play with. I would take a halfling or an elf, just because the DEX bonus.

- 15 thief points is just enough. Use items to increase your abilities.

- Boots of speed helps a lot...

- You can easily get in trouble, if you are surrounded.

- Use oil of speed, to be able to run away.

- Assassins hit an run. It you can't hit somebody, run, hide, and backstab again.

- Comlpete the thief stronghold asap, quite easy and good items can be found there... armor and boots...

11. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Sounds boring... miss & run, miss & run, hit & run, miss & run... Repeat that the whole game... :sleep:

12. Kenixkil Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

You can also take a bounty hunter, since the special traps can be set from a distance, but the problem with this is that you have to prepare the battleground, and you have trouble when you encounter creatures immune to traps or stone/iron skinned spellcasters.
    Or, you could dual an assassin at lvl 25 to a fighter. You can get use any item and a spike trap or assassination. Then, when you are lvl 26 in fighter, it rocks.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.