1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Demilich's Imprisonment

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Neeraj the Freak Paladin, Oct 24, 2003.

1. Neeraj the Freak Paladin Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

[​IMG] The 1st Demilich I encountered in Watchers Keep was on level 4.

I beat him and all, and I had a freedom scroll left over from my party's time in the Underdark, but I would like to ask if anyone has beaten him without getting any party member imprisoned, and a description of how you pulled it off!

I re-did the fight a couple of times, and it seems it is inevitable that someone will get imprisoned, because each time I fought it, I had to free at least 1 or 2 party members!

2. JSBB Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Yes, many of us have and the means to do so have been discussed here several times. Try doing a search on demi-lich imprisonment in the Baldur's Gate II forums.

3. Neeraj the Freak Paladin Gems: 8/31

Thanks JSBB. I actually started a Kangaxx thread in the SoA forum last month, but I thought I would do another Demi-Lich forum here, because I have yet to find a store selling Protection from Magic scrolls (that's how I beat Kangaxx) in ToB (mind you I've only finished the Yaga Shura quests so far in ToB), and the settings are much less advantageous with the Watcher's Keep demi-lich!

It's all good. I did beat him, and thankfully had a Freedom scroll on me. I was just wondering if someone pulled off what I had failed to do, and many people have! Thanks again!

4. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

Yes, I was able to do it, without using any of those scrolls.

For the one in Watcher's Keep, I gave Minsc some +5 weapon, I don't remember what, sent him down alone, berserked him, and let him loose on the monster.

5. CamDawg

CamDawg The gaze of the Wolf reaches into our soul Veteran

Spell Immunity: Abjuration is a beautiful thing. I think the WK demi-lich has the +5 dagger (Dagger of the Stars?).

Pure cheese: lay a bunch of traps outside his doorway and lead him out of his room.

6. Skywind Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

Get the whole party out of the room, leaving a berserked Minsc or Korgan armed with Crom Faeyr will do.

7. Thunder Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

One character protected by a protection from undead scroll, with a +4/+5 weapon should do the trick. One character alone could enter this room, so that's no problem at all!

8. Grandalf the Green Sorcerer Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

[​IMG] Or for some supercheese, this trick requires atleast two mages in your party :) higher the level, the better :)

K, start by casting Chain Contigency and adding 3x Abi Dalzims on see enemy/nearest enemy.

And then, have another sequence/chain contigency on the other mage and place these: 2xlower resistance & Greater Malison/Bane etc to lower throws

Then just have the 2nd mage mislead etc. and enter the room with the Demilich, have him activate the contigency, then right after that, have your 1st mage burst in with 3 dalzims and WHACK, no more mr. Badboy :)

AND if it doesn't die for that, finish it off with a PI casting Powerword Kill on scroll :D

Now that's what I call Cheesey-easy victory :roll: :shake:

9. Leslie Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

@Grandalf
    Aha, and Demilich would only laugh at you. ;)
    Demiliches are immune to spells level 1-9 !

You can kick his butt with Dragon's Breath though. :)

10. Shura Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Get Korgan, berserk him, give him Axe of the Unyielding or Crom Faeyr, haste him and layeth the smackdown on the demi-lich.

Minsc will do as well, with a suitable +4 weapon.

Berserk renders you utterly immune to Imprisonment. As does a scroll of protection from magic: Abjuration.

11. Buck Naked Gems: 8/31

I know I'm going to get flamed for this, but here goes anyway.... ;)

Setting traps, used against most enemies, is perhaps the runniest form of cheese in the game. Actually, it technically isn't cheese, since traps work exactly the way they are supposed to, but let's face it, isn't it just insane that a rogue should be capable of manufacturing some little mechanical trap, on the fly, ANYWHERE, that is capable of causing damage to monsters that otherwise have all sorts of magic and damage immunities, etc.?!

I am almost POSITIVE that NO edition of AD&D rules would ever allow a rogue's traps to do that sort of thing, but it seems that the programmers for BG2 didn't share that sentiment....

12. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Well, yes, I suppose it is insane, but then so is:
    - having a puny little ring that increases your whole AC
    - having a puny little ring that regenerates HP
    - having a bottle of blue liquid that, when drunk, instantly heals wounds
    - having a heavy hammer which, when held, substantially increases your strength
    - having a portable inventory capable of holding numerous full plate mails
    - having a character capable of changing into an animal at will
    - having a character capable of casting magical spells
    - etc.

The point being that the game is not "realistic" to begin with, so pointing to one thing intentionally permitted by the game and saying it's cheesy because it's unrealistic seems, IMHO, to be a bit silly. (Well, you were expecting flames :p )

P.S. Sorry for going off-topic.

13. Tarchon Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

People, the best way to destroy Kangaxx is to cast Improved Haste on your protagonist and then use Slayer Change. The Slayer is immune to Imprisonment.

For the most dramatic effect, use Slayer Change right when Kangaxx the Lich is transforming into Kangaxx the Demilich. Hence you will both be altered into different creatures at the same time. Red glow on him, white glow on you, AHHH! It's a feeling every gamer should experience! The true potential within a Child of Bhaal!!

14. dshadow Gems: 8/31

I killed him with a combination of Time Stop and greater whirlwind attacks. It took a couple of reloads to get the Time Stop off before he hit me with Imprisonment but when it worked, it worked in style.

15. Buck Naked Gems: 8/31

"The point being that the game is not "realistic" to begin with, so pointing to one thing intentionally permitted by the game and saying it's cheesy because it's unrealistic seems, IMHO, to be a bit silly."

Poitn taken -- but you seem to have missed part of mine:

"Well, yes, I suppose it is insane, but then so is:
    - having a puny little ring that increases your whole AC
    - having a puny little ring that regenerates HP
    - having a bottle of blue liquid that, when drunk, instantly heals wounds
    - having a heavy hammer which, when held, substantially increases your strength
    - having a character capable of changing into an animal at will
    - having a character capable of casting magical spells
    - etc."

Hey, part of the logic of the game is that there is such a thing as magic, and items can be enchanted, etc. DUH! So I think you're deliberately missing my point, because OBVIOUSLY I grasp the concept of magic in a fantasy game.

"- having a portable inventory capable of holding numerous full plate mails"

Notice how this sticks out like a sore thumb! We all know this is just a conceit of the game, because they didn't want to program an overly complex encumbrance system. But no DM with half a brain cell would let you do this in PnP, and you'd never see it in a movie, etc. The difference between this and rogue's traps on the one hand, and all of the other things you mentioned, is so painfully obvious, I am inclined to believe that you are DELIBERATELY trying to miss my point.

Yes, it is a fantasy game, with magic, etc. But it also has to have its own internal logic, consistent within its own fictional setting, in order to a) work as a programmed computer game, and b) be enjoyable. If you go to see "Return of the King," and suddenly Gandalf pulls out an M-60 that shoots daisies and it turns all of the bad guys into rainbows, I don't think you'll be saying, "Well, it IS a fantasy movie, after all...." ;)

16. Thyorna Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

As others have mentioned the easist way of killing demi-liches is to send in a beserker with a sufficiently enchanted weapon to damage it. THen beserk and beat the undting crap out of it while it rains down an ineffective spell on you. I did this with my beserker-->cleric dual wielding crom faeyr and FoA +5

17. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    @ Buck
    That, actually, is my point as well. But you and I seem to disagree as to what that point actually means; my point is that traps are part of the fictional setting, whereas you seem to object to the existence of traps in the first place. To me, the "cheese" part of traps comes not from using them, but using them in a way that assumes unrealistic behaviour on the part of your enemies (eg. setting up numerous traps around Firkraag when he isn't hostile).

However, this discussion is entirely off-topic. I respectfully suggest that, since you claim I have ("deliberately" - not the case) missed your point, if you want to debate this further, you might want to start a new topic and I will respond.

[ October 26, 2003, 16:24: Message edited by: Splunge ]

18. Count Di-Amon Banned

I did with my main solo. I play a Berseker so I just send him in with tons of heal pots and enraged so he can heal himself and he is immune to imprisonment while enraged. Helps if you also cast Truesight on him or send in someone with truesight up as a back up.

19. Death Whisper Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

ribald sells two scrolls of protection from magick.

one to use against kangaxxx and one against watchers keep demi-lich :)

20. Thyorna Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Another solution is the mage spell Protection from Magic:Abjuration or sumthing like that im not sure what exactly its called, and imprisonement being an abjuration spell is completely wothrless.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.