1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Golem Mania

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Cúchulainn, Nov 8, 2004.

1. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

I have tried the limited wish spell "I wish to be more experienced" This conjures lots of golems that kick my ass - even when I summon demons and other highlevel summons.

Can anyone provide a list of golems and what type of damage they are vunerable to? I usually just use 'lower resist' and 'magic missils'.

Apologies if this has already been covered.

2. Yirimyah Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

What level are you on? Many high level golems (adamantite) have so so much damm resistance its just a joke trying to hurt them.
    Most magic won't touch many golems.
    Some with weaknesses:
    Magic Golem: Invincible, including vs magic, unless vs. normal weapons
    Clay Golem: ditto unless vs. magical blunt weapons
    Iron/Adamantite: Big size (base), so trap them in a doorway and kill them and any golems behind them with missiles. Many people think this is cheesy, but this has been debated many a time and there is never one answer: If you think it's cheese, leave it.

3. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

I am currently at level 16. I have restarted many times.

Thanks for the advise. For the Iron/Adamantite I use your strategy but I use Melfs 'Minute Meteors'. I think its reasonable. I have not met any Magic Golem's yet but I think I would be f'ed as I would never have thought to use normal weapons.

Thanks again.

BTW what about Sand golems?

4. Truper Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

I am not certain, but I don't think Sand Golems require anything special. Stone Golems I am sure require +2 weapons or better to hit.

One useful tool against all Golems is the Ring of the Ram - its damage isn't reduced by an Adamantine Golem's damge reduction, and represents a noticeable fraction of the damage you have to do to bring one down.

5. Mystra's Chosen Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Sand Golems are kinda weird. All they are, I think, are Stone Golems with some spontaneous poison damage. Although, come to think of it, they might be resistance to blunt.

And about that cheesy Adamantite golem deal. If it's so cheesy, then why did the designers put all the Adamantite Golems in places where they get stuck? For example, there's one in Firkraag's place, just on the other side of a bridge. There's also one or two in the bowels of the planar sphere, also in a place they can't get to you. In fact, I think the only place in the whole game where they can actually get to you is in Suldanasselar, which, by the time you get there, are pathetically easy.

6. Firestorm

Firestorm Beeep, Beeep, ERROR Veteran

Actually, depending on your level, they are strewn all over Firkraags dungeon. I met two, almost at the beginning of the 'real' dungeon part of the lair.

7. Mystra's Chosen Gems: 22/31

Yeah, in the hall where there's the three doors that lead to a) that ***** orc, b) the vampires, and c) that Troll cook.

But by that time they're really easy since you're probably lvl 17 or so.

8. Eric Xanthus Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Actually you can get those damn adamantine golems in Firkraag's at a relatively low level (12ish), which pretty much forces you to use a few rounds of MMM and a good tank. Although now that I think of it that might just be a component of Tactics. Confirm, anyone?

9. Mystra's Chosen Gems: 22/31

If you installed the "Always Hardest Spawns in Dungeons" part of the mod, then I would imagine it's from that.

10. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I'm in Windspear now and encountering Iron Golems, Clay Golems, and Stone Golems at Level 12. I've had to reload a few times as I have not yet worked out how to kill them. Flail of Ages seem to work on some of them. Haste seems to be an absolute must, otherwise we just get munched. Whatever MMM is, we don't have it. And - what sort of missile weapons even work because we just get the "weapon ineffective" message if we try and hang back and shoot.

11. Jaguar Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Veteran

@HB

MMM stands for Melf's Minute Meteors. It is a spell that creates +5 projectiles with fire damage that can be launched at an enemy. Great for early and late level battles with enemies who have high immunities.

12. Eric Xanthus Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Flail of Ages + Haste is the perfect way to handle golems. Your missile weapons aren't working because you need +2 to hit stone golems and +3 (!) to hit iron golems. +3 missile weapons are rare in SoA, so you pretty much have to stand up to them--or use MMM. :)

13. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

What about those super hasted clay golems who combine with those other ones who caste Slow and Poison? I get nailed before I've even had a chance to swing the Flail.

14. angryguy Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Pile in. So long as you only employ well armoured people, you should do fine. My fave tactic- buff, then send in one mage with blur/stoneskins/mirror image and perhaps a staff. The golem will go for them, just keep recasting while your warroirs beat on the bugger.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.