1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Which Paladin kit is best suited for a solo run?

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Klorox, Jun 22, 2006.

1. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mênu! Veteran

I posted about a solo Cavaleir in the recent thread about soloing the game, but I'm wondering if anybody likes the other kits better for a solo run.

Just curious, I thought this would be an interesting discussion. :)

Poll Information
    This poll contains 1 question(s). 19 user(s) have voted.
    You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Poll Results: Which Paladin kit is best suited for a solo run? (19 votes.)

Which Paladin kit is best suited for a solo run? (Choose 1)
    * Cavaleir - 16% (3)
    * Inquisitor - 58% (11)
    * Undead Hunter - 26% (5)
    * No Kit - 0% (0)

2. Berksmasher Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I voted undead hunter, mostly because I like the idea of the class, but I don't think it is really superior to the cavalier.

Looking at the advantages for an Undead Hunter:

+Immunity to level drain--useful early on, BUT even that problem is eventually solved for a solo Cav.

+Ability to use missile weapons--this is very nice, BUT the cavalier can use throwing axes.

+Immunity to hold is a nice way to counteract my biggest problems in solo games, BUT there are a number of items that take care of that problem.

+Bonuses vs. Undead. Parts of the game are crawling with nasty undead, BUT a high level Cav will still be able to turn many of them anyway.

Looking at the advantages for a Cavalier:

+20% resistances to fire and acid--with a little more help from items you can approach near immunity or beyond if the need arises without sacrificing "better" gear.

+++Bonuses vs. Demons and Dragons--these are the toughest enemies in the game, and while they aren't as common as undead, the bonuses are arguably going to be more useful.

Immunity to poison is not that big a deal as you will presumably be wearing the Ring of Gaxx anyway.

The Undead Hunter is probably going to be a little more useful for a player who plays more casually and doesn't mind obsessive reloading vs. the toughest enemies, while the Cavalier requires a bit more attention in terms of inventory selection and combat tactics. But IMO for the truly tough solo battles in the game you will wish you were playing a Cavalier.

The Inquisitor...still trying to work out the advantages of that one. True Sight and Dispel Magic? Umm, sure.

3. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    I do like the Cavalier, in that it's great to have bonuses to hit vs. Demons and Dragons, and also having immunity to fear, and a natural 20% resistance to elemental attacks is great. Inability to use missile weapons is meaningless IMO, as you'd likely be using something like Azuredge anyway.

I don't like the Undead Hunter, because there are various items in the game that give Negative Plane Protection - IMoD springs immediately to mind - and i believe if you use the illitium on Azuredge you can also get NPP (though Item Upgrade Mod).

However, while I see nothing overly wrong with the Cavalier, the Inquisitor should make mage battles much easier, as well as dragon battles as they always put up protective spells as well. It's really a toss up IMO, but I think the decision is between Inquisitor and Cavalier.

4. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    Don't forget Carsomyr!

I picked Undead Hunter because the level drain is really irksome if you don't have the right item (otherwise you will spend the earlier chapters in SoA running away from vampires).
    Sure dragons are a nuisance but what about liches and Bodhi? You won't be able to turn them then.
    An Undead Hunter can always get the dragon sword and shield...

What turns me off about the Cavalier kit is the lack of ranged weapons (agreed the bonus against demons and dragons looks good but at really high levels you won't notice anymore a measly +3 to hit).

Inquisitor? Some people love them, I like spellcasting and wielding Carsomyr at the same time.

[EDIT: typo :o ]

[ June 22, 2006, 23:12: Message edited by: Caradhras ]

5. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

A Cavalier is basically an 'improved Paladin' with no downside *cough*Azuredge*cough*, so not having a kit seems somewhat pointless. The Undead Hunter's main advantage is NPP, but you can easily get something for that very early when you've got solo money. The Inquisitor's uber Dispel Magic ability, OTOH, is priceless against the hordes of magic-using enemies in the game, as is True Sight (bypassing pesky Misleads can mean two or three less spells they get to cast). There's no doubt about it in my mind that the Inquisitor wins.

6. JSBB Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I agree with everything that Felinoid said.

7. gatsbygoon Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

What do you get that gives NPP early in the game. If its that necklace from Lindvale, I don't think its usable by warrior classes? I'm curious because level drain is the primary reason I don't like soloing (Undead hunters aren't my style, hate paladins)

And could someone explain what OTOH means?

8. JSBB Gems: 31/31

Paladins are considered to be spellcasters and thus can use the amulet.

OTOH means "on the other hand"

9. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Definitely Inquisitor for solo. Undead Hunter is great in a party when you runout of amulets and castings of Negative Plane Protection.

10. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

Actually, it looks like it is prohibited from Paladins and Rangers, which is very strange since I remember Minsc wearing it. Still, there's always IMoD, which doesn't take all that much longer to get (maybe 15 minutes).

11. JSBB Gems: 31/31

I just tried it and you are correct in that Paladins can't use the amulet. I know that I have had Minsc use it before, and Keldorn too. If I remember correctly it was usable by anyone except thieves and fighters. Could it have been changed in the TOB update?

12. gatsbygoon Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I think Inquisitor's must be my favorite paladin class. Yes, those bonuses for Cavaliers often come in handy against dragons and demons, but really, how often do fight demons and dragons? On the other hand, True Sight comes in handy ALL of the time. I can't even count the number of mages in this game who use invisibility spells.

13. Drugar

Drugar And now... we wait! Veteran

Media:
    I am currently soloing with an Undead Hunter and I haven't had a single battle that I couldn't beat. Even Kangaxx and Fierkraag were down before I knew it.

Nice class. Immunity to level drain is handy early on in the game, the bonuses against the undead are a nice addition.

14. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    All of them are good, really. Inqusitor strikes me as the best because of the increased pwnage against mages and other such. Undead Hunter provides some ease of use when facing the undead. Cavalier is strong in melee and has some useful immunities.

I'd rather keep the priestly spells, so I'd go for Cavalier. As a matter of style, would keep laying hands, too. ;)

You see, you can offset all of the bonuses with items, or most of them, mostly.

15. Truper Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

From the Balderdash readme:

Amulet Of Power Usability Fix

File AMUL21.ITM; a edited version of the Baldur's Gate 2: Throne Of Bhaal item definition for the Amulet Of Power. It resolves the bugs of this amulet being wearable by barbarians and monks, who are not spellcasters, but not paladins and rangers, who are. The amulet should be available only for all spellcasting classes (Mage/sorceror, bard, druid, cleric, paladin, and ranger.) This was confirmed by Senior Designer David Gaider on the Black Isle messageboards, who also confirmed that Inquisitor paladins should have access to it though they cannot cast priest spells as their innate abilities are spell-like and they are members of a spellcasting class. Its protection from level drain will not be useful to an Undead Hunter paladin.

And I still say that no righteously played Paladin will ever get to use the IMoD ;)

16. Die_Bad_Guys Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

inquisitor, if only for the hold immunity

the dispel magic is icing

17. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    @Truper - interesting - so in other words, all rangers and paladins SHOULD be able to use the Amulet. Still, I have to admit, that I don't consider paladins and rangers to be a "spellcasting" class. Of course, that's probably from the fact that I played BG1 for so long where they weren't spell casters.

I agree in principle with your idea that a properly played paladin wouldn't get the IMoD. What I don't agree with is why 200 pounds of illithium are required to place a coating on the MoD. I can't imagine why more than a pound of illithium would be required. And it also seems to me that Sarles probably would be OK if you brought him back 199 pounds of illithium instead of 200 lbs.

18. JSBB Gems: 31/31

Well that certainly explains things. I normally play with the Baldurdash fix packs but I do not have them installed on my laptop right now.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.