1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Who needs Time Stop?

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Goblin Slayer, Aug 3, 2001.

1. Goblin Slayer Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Who needs time stop when you have improved alucarity and HOPEFULLY a Robe of Vecna and Amulet of Power. These Three things are the most important thing for all mages.
    Robe of Vecna- -4 casting time
    Improved Alucarity- cancels the time in between spell casting
    Amulet of Power- Immunity to Level Drain, -1 casting time

This allows you to cast about 7 cones of cold within 7 seconds. Imagine the usefulness against fire giants.

2. Gaelan Bayle Gems: 1/31

ye's gots a good point there buddy. Coo! thanks for ye tip. But I still stick me dagger into ye back! Coo! Sonny, you aint seen nothing yet! Coo! Then ill take ye Robe, Neck ornament, and ye spell scroll! Coo!

3. Lord Praetor Munir Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

You know.. I never used time stop before...

but exactly where can you get that Robe of Vecna in ToB.. considering you started as a Wild Mage coz all i got was that amulet of power

4. shadow_thief Guest

You cannot get the robe of Vecna in ToB, just in SoA and in SK or Console.

5. Seid Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Robe of Vecna is the best robe out there. You need the bonus merchant patch to get it.

[This message has been edited by Seid (edited August 03, 2001).]

6. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

I never used time stop. It just never occured to me. Stupid.

7. cotman68 Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

glad to hear these tips!!

Time stop actually aggravates me. Against several of the most powerful opponents, it doesn't stop them!!! it just stops everyone but the big bad dude and the caster.. not too helpful

8. Lord Praetor Munir Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

the most irritating thing about time stop is when you're fighting and for me, i pause a lot during fights to change orders, and well... there was this one time pressed pause just as time stop was cast.. so i waited for like 30 seconds before realizing! that i had actually paused the time stop! theni had to wait some more for the lich to cast his spells...

9. LonnieTheLazy Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

time stop is an effective and powerful spell, if used correctly. i personnaly dont have any mages unless you count Xaed my bard.
    but ive seen my older brother use it with incredible results. plus the sheer amount of variables when using time stop make it a powerful if hard to master spell.

10. DemoGorgon Guest

I ALWAYS use the robe of Vecna. Where is that Amulet at now? Is Improved Alucricity or whatever an ability?

11. cotman68 Gems: 6/31

for those who love time stop.. all I have to say is:

cast it when you are fighting DG.. then you will understand my frustration

12. Goblin Slayer Gems: 1/31

Well, i cheated a bit using console. So heres what happened. I restarted Throne of Bhaal.
    My mage had improved alucarity, time stop, robe of vecna, amulet of power, and staff of magi (well i dont think i actually needed it). I went up to the statue skipped the talk and met Illasera and her black reavers. it was super fun! I casted improved alucarity right before the battle. Then as they started i walked right towards illasera and clicked on my staff, instantly invisible. Then i casted Time Stop. I walked away from all the crowded baddies. And casted 7 cones of cold. Dispel magic to get rid of the Reflection. About 6 magic missiles, and any other spell of use. When the time stop wore out, TOTAL HAVOC! They all fell down dead. Lol!

13. Gonzago Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Yes, I discovered DG's convenient immunity to Time Stop yesterday. And it was frustrating.

But casting time stop sure beats running around trying to get into position while you're trying to hit a dragon with spellstrike and lower resistance.

14. Creslyn Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

For myself I believe timestop is well worth getting. Sure you can get a double length one and improved alacrity with the wish spell (although you cant count on getting it when you need it most), and sure there are creatures that are immune to it, but there arent many and being able to cast as many spells as you want (alacrity) unhindered more than makes up for those little quibbles.

15. AvaLance204 Gems: 6/31

[​IMG] Timestop should be the first Level 9 spell you pick. Cast Improved Alacrity afterwards and I've been able to cast 8-9 Fingers of Death, 4 Abi-Dalzim's Horrid Wiltings, 8 Magic Missiles, 8 Flame Arrows, 8 Chain Lightnings, so on and so forth. That's because with the Robe of Vecna and the Amulet of Power, most spells are cast instantaneously. Not in one second, instantaneously. I killed Draconis with one Timestop.

This improves with the Wished version of Timestop. It's double-length, and with a specialized version of Improved Alacrity. This improved version is for 6 rounds, and all spells are cast instantly. Cast the real Improved Alacrity out of that, and add an additional 4 Abi-Dalzims to the previously listed havoc. And besides, Demogorgon will rarely do things to screw you in a Timestop: I took him out in the first round anyway. The Mariliths were actually harder.

16. Gueng Gems: 1/31

I was never a big fan of mages until ToB. Improved Alacrity is the best spell they've ever come out with. My favorite thing to do is to throw 3 Greater Malaisons in a Spell Trigger and memorize a bunch of Lower Resistances, Chromatic Orbs and Disintigrates. If you're in a room with a bunch of creatures, casting the Malaisons, then throwing around the Orbs just looks really cool. You look like Irenicus in some of the cut scenes in SoA, blasting away death Orbs. Against a Dragon or high power creature, it's even more fun. Throw 3 Lower Resistances in a Chain Contingency, then the Malaisons in the Trigger & Sequencer. Then throw your Finger of Death/Disintigrate/Chromatic Orb, etc. Tons of Fun!

17. All Creation Gems: 1/31

If you use time stop on Demogorgan then your mage is going one on one with him. I did that and demogorgan used my time stop to summon more minions. I did every lower resistance/remove protection spell on him and then cast every offensive spell on him that my mage can cast and they had little to no effect on him due to the fact that he has high elemental resistances and huge saving thrown against every spell I casted.

18. AvaLance204 Gems: 6/31

I had little trouble with the Prince of Demons. Load three Abi-Dalzims into a Chain Contingency, three Pierce Magics into a Spell Trigger, rest, and then battle.

In the first round, use your Spell Trigger, and once your Contingency is fired, load up another one. My favorite offensive strategy. Repeat with the Mariliths.

The quick, easy, and non-cheez way to beat Demogorgon. Pfah. Careful there, demon prince, someday I'll come to the Abyss and usurp you.

19. Gonzago Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

gueng, greater malison isn't cumulative, so there's no good reason to put three of them in a trigger.

20. Gueng Gems: 1/31

Really? No kidding. Maybe they were just a placebo when I was messing around with it earlier, then. The more I cast, the better my spells seemed to work. Is the priest spell, Doom, cumulative?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.