1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

What have you solo'd with?

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Z-Layrex, Feb 21, 2002.

1. Z-Layrex Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

What have you solo'd through BG2 and also what troubles did you face while doing so?

I am currently soloing a female Drow called Velve (Drow for Blade)
    I cheated in all of Drizzt's items (i've already finished BG2 before so don't give me the nasty cheater lecture ;) )
    so she's a sort of Drizzt wannabe...

2. I cannot stress how important regeneration is when you are soloing as a non-priest or non-pally. Even if it's 1 hp per 2 minutes, it's worth it, as you get fully healed when you rest.

3. Lord Sarevok Guest

I've started many solo games, but the only one I've really completed was Proidon, an Assassin/Mage which I have taken through SoA and am planning to take through the expansion...

I skipped most of the Underdark, but other than that it was mainly easy due to being such high level.

I had a lot of trouble with regenerating creatures like Werewolfs because I couldn't get enough damage in before they would be back to "Uninjured".

[This message has been edited by Lord Sarevok (edited February 22, 2002).]

4. happy1 Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

I have nearly finished SoA with a f/m/t (no xp cap). They get really powerful due to their versitility.
    Regen ring ro ioun stones are a must. Do not be afraid of running away and re-attacking at the start. Make sure that you have a variety of equipment and weapons.
    You have so much money so recharge your wands and use them a lot.

5. TIN_MAN Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

I soloed BG2 with a sorcerer. It was very effective most times but I had mutch trouble with completely magic resisting enemies such as golems, mind flayers, greater wolfweres. I have chosen my spell table carefully. Balanced the amount of protective, hindering, damage and summoning spells well enough I think. I used skeleton warriors and Mordenkainen's swords against mind flayers,and golems, area damage spells against enemy mages and necromancy against lower level enemies.

It was easy. There had been mutch more trouble soloing a simple mage I think.

6. Z-Layrex Gems: 21/31

heh, thanks, you've all given me some good ideas for when i'm done with velve. i like the sound of Assassin/mage... Sorcerer sounds pretty cool too... :D

7. ctl-alt-del Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] Monk w/stat cap

8. cirian16 Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Well Iv'e soloed tweo characters one was a scorceror which was a little tough at first but by the time I got the robe of venca it was great.The second character I cheated a little when I made him....I did'nt like i couldn't use a kit and multiclass so I used shadowkeeper and made a multiclassed kensai/mage.....he was a beast.He killed everyone in the drow city and begged for more.He could destroy villages and laugh he was a beast and it was fun.

9. Modjahed Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

10. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

[​IMG] Here are my solo characters:

Kensai/Mage - "Earl Grey", my first solo (iirc).

Wizard Slayer - "Gloin Bonehead". http://www.sorcerers.net/ubb/Forum12/HTML/000014.html

Fighter/Thief - Did this one on a challenge using lower stats than I normally use. Wasn't much of a challenge though. :)

Monk - using no magic items/potions/spells! http://www.sorcerers.net/ubb/Forum2/HTML/003797.html

Fighter/Thief/Mage - speed solo, took 9 days 20 hours, no resting. http://www.sorcerers.net/ubb/Forum2/HTML/003811.html

Blade - Unfinished, stopped because it was too easy to be satisfying.

Totemic Druid - Low stat character (6-6-6-6-12-15). I stopped this when Sorcerer's Place went down last time - so it's unfinished - but I may pick it up again. It hasn't been too hard yet (Underdark) but it's a fairly enjoyably game.

By far the most dangerous and annoying thing when playing solo is the "disabler" spells and traps which ends the game/your life. Hold Person, Maze and Imprisonment are a few examples. I've been killed by kobold shamans this way quite a few times in the past. :D
    There are ways to handle things like that:
    - Scroll of Prot from Magic (in an emergeny)
    - Spell Immunity - and pick the school in question (Enchantment/Charm vs Hold Person, Abjuration vs Imprisonment and Conjuration/Summoning vs Maze).
    - Berserker Rage is a good example of a useful ability.- Shield of Harmony is an example of equipment that protects against some nasty spells.
    - Use summoned monsters and have them take the heat (=spells).

[This message has been edited by Earl Grey (edited February 24, 2002).]

11. Z-Layrex Gems: 21/31

[​IMG] Think i might go for it as a mage but, pick up Imoen when i rescue her. Thanks for all the help. (And the link modjahead)

12. Xyclos Gems: 1/31

I'm soloing now, about to enter chapter 3 with a level 15 kensai that I will soon dual to a thief. (XP cap of TOB so its not too late to dual).

It was quite slow in the beginning because I have grand mastery in katanas (and 3 points in dual weild) and the only good magical katana in chapter 2 is Celestial Fury which I went thru hell to get. After I got the boots of speed from the planar prison tho, my kensai is now the ultimate hit & run guerilla warrior. The shield amulet and the ring of regeneration are immensely useful too.

For soloing sometimes cheese tactics are necessary, like whenever I fight mages, I run out of the room and wait till their protections go down before attacking. As I said, cheese. =)

13. TheBlackRose Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Up to-

chapter 2: solo mage, bored
    chapter 5: solo blade - wiped with hard drive crash, ~lvl 27. amazing character.
    game end: solo DC totemic/fighter, very powerful character with the Spirit Animal. kinda my last hurrah for BG2.

14. Laeryl Gems: 1/31

I'm soloing with a sorcerer and the only problems I'm having are magic immune creatures such as Rakshasa. Beholders are also hard as you can't get the Shield of Balduran with a mage althougth you can get the cloak of mirrowing later on. Must have items are the ring of gaxx for its regeneration abilities and the robe of vecna.

15. C'Jakob Guest

Rakshasa are not magic-immune.

Spells of level 8 and above will affect these creatures.

For creatures with very high MR, such as Drow, Mind Flayers, and Golems, Casting Lower Resistance works well, but must be done several times for it to be effective. Best to cast a powerful summoning spell, such as Summon Fiend, or, if possible, Gate.

[This message has been edited by C'Jakob (edited February 27, 2002).]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.