1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Kensai/Mage

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by DemoGorgon, Jul 31, 2001.

1. DemoGorgon Guest

I have many stories of people using this class, and so i figurted i would try it. my question: When should i dual over to mage?

2. Seid Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I think it is best to dual at level 9 or level 12.

3. jack-of-all-trades Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

in other words, don't do it in TOB.

It would take you forever to recover those levels.

4. DemoGorgon Guest

that sux, im in ToB!
    i hate starting over in SoA, stupid irenicus dungeon!

5. Draven Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

You should dual-class at about level 7 or 8 if you have TOB so that you can still reach the max mage level. You can't reach level 9 or 12 if you wish to max out your mage without using a xcap remover.

6. Crawl Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Incidently, as a related note, I've been playing my main Kensai/Mage through SoA and about half way into ToB. My thoughts:

-While he was every bit as useful in fights in SoA as my main fighter was (a pure Berzerker created myself), with about half of ToB to go, as a fighter, he is starting to show his shortcomings. He still has very good HP, but even with grand mastery in Katanas and dualed at level 9, his thaco is getting pretty bad pretty quick. -1 and 2 were decent in SoA, but now the only way he makes it through melee is great regeneration, spell protections, and Celestial Fury's stun ability.
    -His AC at this point is kinda humerous. -6 AC was, again, nice for SoA, but in ToB, it ain't cutting it. I mean, even Imoen and Aerie's AC is better. At this point, I wish I had stayed with my fighter/mage combo because of the impressive improved Bladesinger Chain.
    -His spells of course are amazing, and one of the benefits of the Kensai class is, because of it's restrictions, one almost has to have the Robe of Venca. His Combat Casting, while not nearly as good as SoA because he gets hacked by high level enemies, is still quick enough to get most spells off.

All in all, I'd say use the plain old Fighter/Mage class for ToB, and dual over at a bit higher level to squeeze as much out of THAC0 as possible. You could always use Shadow Keeper to edit your chracter into a fully Dualed version of the Fighter/Mage if you want, just keep the exp the same as you already have, so you won't have to dual from a fighter at level 18.

7. Shade Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Yeah, that's what I do when I want to take a dualclassed guy through ToB. Start him in SoA, then hack his xp up to make him whatever level I want. (for fighter, usually around 13, get's and extra half-an-attack at that level) and then dual class him to the class I want. Then save the game and import him into ToB with everything set to go!

8. LonnieTheLazy Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

i have a kensai and i love using him, i never dualed him because i like him just how he is He's a blue elf with a really cool biography,

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.