1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

How good is Jaheira?

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by 14, Jun 10, 2003.

1. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

How good is Jaheira? Check the stats, how big is her kill %? Compare it to another fighter, like Korgan or Minsc.

2. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Yeah, but that's not always accurate, depending on your playing style. Maybe you use her more for buffing and protection. Maybe you use her for summoning to soak up damage, rather than to kill things for you. Maybe you use her to weaken enemies and defenses, and then send in the bigger hitters to finish the job. In all of these cases, you're kill percentage is irrelevant. That's only an effective way to measure her if you just use her for straight-up fighting...and she's too versitile to waste on melee alone.

3. Subra Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Veteran

Actually I don't normally take Jaheira or Minsc either one in the BG1 game. I like Kagain (with DEX gloves), Kivan, Shar-teel and Coran. Shar-teel = power. :)

In BG2, Jaheira = power. :)

Jaheira needs STR enhance item which are plentiful.
    Minsc needs DEX enhance item which is unique.

Korgan, Keldorn and Minsc all 3 need DEX enhance item, so among those 3 guys, I will usually only ever take 1 of them in the same party.

4. ArrynMorgerim Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Jaheira is a natural killer. (spear of piercing (+10 dmg one)/staff of woodlands)

Anyway, you must not give her the worst equipment because she's MC. For example, I always give her the first STR girdle, improving the front line better than if it was given to someone with bigger strength.
    No need to say how evil the iron skins are (she has died two times - fingers of death).
    Druid spells are not that useful (at least low level ones), but that is the reason you don't have full druid in the party. Sadly she doesn't have all the beneficial speels clerics have, but they don't have ironskins and those are better.

Well, in my party is most of the killing provided by me, but she's great protector of the party, killing every third enemy.

P.S. DON'T GIVE HER SLINGS - WASTE OF POTENTIAL

5. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Giving her the sling of Seeking would not be a loss of potential if she has a belt of strength or is using a potion. I love that sling. I never waste it on Aerie -- even if she's hopped herself up via spells to 25 strength, she still has a sucky Cleric's THACO, while Jaheira has a fighter's THACO. As a distance weapon, that beats most darts.

6. ArrynMorgerim Gems: 9/31

1) But jaheira would be more efficient with meelee weapon as she would get STR bonus to hit. No way with sling of seeking

2) Clerical buffs (at least two of them) give thac0 of warrior of the same level. Aerie won't have sucky clerical thac0. She'll get sucky MC fighter one (about 6).

7. Khazraj Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

I thought that the Sling of Seeking specifically gives the strength bonus... perhaps I am wrong?...

8. Gothmog

Gothmog Man, a curious beast indeed! ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

[​IMG] Sling of seeking certainly does add strenght bonus to damage. Until recently i didnt know what that means, but now i think i've got it worked out.
    It just adds the strenght bonus damage to damage done by the bullet.

And i certainly doesnt thing slings are wasted on Jaheira at all.

To me she's great. Wearing a heavy armor and tower shield with that much dexterity bonus she has as much AC as any fighter would have. In this aspect she's equivalent to fighter.
    Her THAC0 is not all that great as a fighter in SoA but in ToB she gets the same as fighter one. THAC0 is limited to 0 for all classes and Jahiera being a multiclass fighter/druid gets to that limit pretty fast. Then her to hit chance is as good as fighters.

The only disadvantage she's got compared to a clear warrior is her weapon limitation. But there are quite some good examples of those weapons she uses. Impaler for instance. Staff of woodlands. Belm. Spectral Brand. Fire tooth....

P.S. Dont be so mean with your summoning spells :(
    Dont you realise that summoning a ally drags him from his home and gets him to your side. If he dies (when does he not?) he is GONE.

9. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Not necessarily, Gothmog. Elementals send an essence over that creates a body on this plane -- something similar to a deity's avatar. Same thing goes for devas and planetars. Other summons, well, you're right, but life is cheap!

That doesn't sound very LG, does it? Maybe more neutral?

Anyone who uses Jaheira -- or anyone -- as only a front line fighter is a little silly, (and yes, I know I have done it myself) -- ranged fighting is smart fighting. Cavaliers can use axes, as can Kensai, IIRC, and discretion is the better part of valor!

10. Bassilus Banned

It has been universally recognized that Jaheira is pretty much the most useless NPC. Get used to it.

11. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    * steps over the corpse of the banned idiot *

Ahem.

@ Dep

I agree. Relying almost exclusively on melee muscle isn't the best way to go at all. That said, it's much harder to do it in BG2 vs. say, IWD1. The monsters in IWD1 moved very slowly for the most part, so you could pelt them a round or 3 worth of missiles before they even get to you. Most of the BG2 monsters move much faster, but you should have a round or two at least. I say unless they're pelting you long range or protected from missiles, let them come to you first.

Same principle with Jahiera. Like said above, I've used the Sling of Seeking with her to devastating effect. Her fairly high dexterity improves your thac0, and with the Belt of Hill Giant Strength you're getting a +7 damage bonus per bullet. 1d4+1+7 = 9 - 12 damage with normal bullets. Not incredible, but 5 or 6 of those pills in 2 rounds will significantly weaken anybody, making it easy for your tanks to move in and finish the job in a swing or 2.

Thoughts?

12. reepnorp

reepnorp Lim'n Lime Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I must say, to me, she has never been very good or usefull. So I never use her. But, listen to what others say, his is just my two cents.

13. ArrynMorgerim Gems: 9/31

I played with her in both ways. As pure slingshooter and spearfighter with boots of speed. Her main advantage in the latter case was the enemy stopping, but her overal effectivness was much greater (more damage, more kills). And as I already said, she DON'T die.

Anyway I was using SoS with Viconia, because that 4th level buff spell gives her fighter's thaco, str of 18/00 and she has 19 dex. I had her cast it for every major battle (optionaly with draw upon holy might, which made her thaco and damage better than anyone other's).

14. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    No, it most certainly has not been universally recognized. But this is coming from you know who so ... Anyway, the original poster was dead on. The opinions do divide sharply.

As far as I'm concerned, if you take the time to learn all the tricks and the equipment to give her, Jaheira just plain rocks the house!

SofA:
    - Belm Scimitar + Shield + Girdle of Hill Giant Strength, awesome combination of equipment. Mathematically, she may not hit as often as a single-class warrior, but I have trouble noticing a difference.
    - Ironskins spell, what I do notice though is that she'll last much longer than a single-class warrior. Rarely if ever takes a scratch.
    - Conjure Fire Elemental, quite useful.
    - Insect Plague, spellcasters become helpless, and melee-types often run around in panic. This spell often turns otherwise horrendous battles into assured victories.
    - Defensive Harmony, can be spun out in a flash and improves everybody's A.C. in really melee-intense situations.
    - extra healing power, Druids can't heal as many maledictions as Clerics, but they still definitely help pick up some of the slack with Slow Poison, Mass Cure, Heal, etc.

TofB:
    - Spectral Brand +5 + Shield + Girdle of Giant Strength. She's still a tremendous force in melee combat. All the more so because she's dishing out the Greater Whirldwind Attacks.
    - Greater Elemental Summoning, who can debate the utility of this spell?
    - When I find the Deck of Many Things, I boot out everybody else besides myself and Jaheira. I then force a draw of the Throne Card (1,000,000xp). Jaheira then obtains 15th level as a Druid quite quickly. This means that elemental resistances start to pile up in later levels, poison immunity, and of course ...
    - A greatly increased number of 5th, 6th, and 7th level spells. Then the fun really starts with spells like Earthquake, Nature's Beauty, Implosion, etc ... I also add Creeping Doom, and then change the Insect Plague over to yet another Iron Skins.

The girl is a force to be reckoned with.

15. Daie d'Malkin

Daie d'Malkin Shoulda gone to Specsavers

That depends what you mean when you say How good?
    *evil grin*

16. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Trust me, I would have replied far sooner. ;) I've just started a full-time legal clerkship that lasts for a year. I fully intend to stick around at SP, but my presence will have to diminish somewhat.

17. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Another lawyer! God save us! :D :shake: :grin: :D

18. Khazraj Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Beren. All the best in all your endeavours. ;)

I meant that I was surprised because I know of your "feelings" for Jaheira! :p

I reckon she is the most realistic of the 3 romance options. If I knew a person called Viconia I'd call her a ***** to her face and smash it! If I knew a girl called Aerie I would vomit then run over her in a steamroller!

Jaheira I could live with. She's mostly normal.

19. Beren

Media:
    @Khazraj,

I knew exactly what you meant. And thanks for the best wishes. Started the job on Monday, didn't get to a public computer till Friday. I then notice that there's over 30 posts in this thread. It's like :doh: "Where have I been!?"

Btw, I also agree with you on Vic and Aerie. ;)

I know you're being tongue in cheek. Speaking for myself, not all lawyers are bloodsuckers and ambulance chasers. ;)

20. Alex Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Veteran

@dmc

I have the modified Shapeshifter patch as well, and was wondering: do you get his Werewolf Attack as an equipable item as well? I'm certain this must be a bug, regardless it quite obviously is totally broken as he can then shapeshift at will and regains hit points everytime he does so, effectively giving him an unlimted Heal at will. Considering this you're right. Cernd is much better than Jahiera, if you can stand the cheesiness of it.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.