1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Too early for Windspear Hills?

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by kuemper, Aug 24, 2006.

1. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

My party has an average level of 8. Do you think we can live through clearing out Firkraag's dungeon? I'm not planning on killing him until I get that mission in the paladin stronghold.

2. Ancient Galatan Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Don't think so, cause you have to deal with vampires, golems, greater wherewolfes (or wolfweres) and tazok and his party. So it will be a hard time.

3. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

Nope.
    You will need Stoneskin, Invisibility and a decent level good Cleric to take care of that dungeon.
    There are more than a couple of unavoidable golems & trolls that will make life miserable.
    The Undead and Vampire chamber too is not an easy task unless you have Liarcor or a good Cleric.

4. Brettoni Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I cleared it with ease with a level 10-11 party, and deafeated the Dragon in the process.
    Level 8 would be more challenging but not impossible.
    Make sure you take some protect from undead scrolls to wipe out the vampires.
    Use rods and as many summon spell scrolls, and STR potions as you can, and it could do the trick.
    It's tough in my mind, but definetely not impossible.

5. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    To me, most of the time level is not as important as what type of equipment you have available to you. For example if you go in with a few protection from Undead scroll, a cleric we a few negative plane protection spells memorized and azuredge, you should be OK.

6. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I did it when my paladin was level 9. It was certainly a challenge, but doable.

7. Desuma Malevois Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Of course, it would be way easier if your paladin has the Undead Hunter kit. :)

8. Elfen Lied

Elfen Lied The Bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to

yes that definitely makes things easier.

does a ranger with racial enemy vampire make thigns easier, but obvoiusly not as easy as a undead hunter of course, i mean racial enemy just modifys their reactions and stuff aye.

9. kuemper Gems: 31/31

How did you know? :angel:

PC - Undead Slayer lvl 9, dual wielding long sword and axe
    Anomen - lvl 8, mace and FoA
    Jaheira - lvl 8/9, quarterstaff
    Minsc - lvl 9, 2 handed swords
    Jan - lvl 8/8
    Kelsey - lvl 10

I wasn't sure how tough the undead area would be; wraiths and ghasts or mummies and vampires, and whether the werewolves would be there at all. I typically go in chapter 6.

10. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

Undead Slayers can't be Level drained or charmed iirc, making them perfect against undead regardless of their level.

If you are comfortable with fighting multiple enemies, you shouldn't really have a problem. Also at such a low level the Golems you face will probably be Iron Golems which are far easier to kill as compared to Admantium (sp?) ones.
    Go ahead and try it. If you survive the first encounter, you will probably manage the entire area.
    As your charecter is a Paladin be sure NOT to kill Firkaag. That is your stronghold quest.

11. Decados

Decados The Chosen One

Media:
    It's do-able at low levels, you'll just have to take things slower and try to plan ahead more.

Am I missing something with this 'don't kill Firkraag' stuff? IIRC, you get invited to join the Radiant Heart after killing him.

12. Ironmancal2131

Ironmancal2131 Nice head, I think I'll take it

If you kill Firkraag before your stronghold quest, you won't get the quest experience for killing him.

13. kuemper Gems: 31/31

If you kill Firkraag before the Order asks you, they will be poopyheads and not let you join.

14. Decados

Decados The Chosen One

Media:
    Heh, I killed him before getting it as a quest- I never even realised the Order would ask me to.

Actually kuemper, I've taken a paladin through twice and both times I was invited to join after killing Firkraag.

15. Scythesong Immortal Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Media:
    Ntoice that several aspects of the dungeon can change depending on what level you are when you enter. So you're certainly not going to be fighting a whole barrage of high level monsters. Just make sure you are prepared for the staples. (Tazok, a few vampires, a Runhk...)
    I was able to beat that dungeon at around the same level. All it really took was Daystar and a few spells from Jaheira and Nalia.
    It shouldn't be much of a problem since you're not planning to slay Firky.

16. anonymized695 Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I cleared it fairly early (before I left spellhold) but I would suggest level 8 would be pretty tricky.

I found a few neat ways of dealing with things.. the evil adventurer types, I cloudkilled and then shut the doors, so they pretty much died in a corridor of gas muahaha.

The vampires, I led them into the rooms where the orcs were shooting at you, closed the doors so the vamps were trapped and with the rest of my party, sat there and threw/shot things at them till they died.

17. Elfen Lied

Elfen Lied The Bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to

i thought you killed firkraag first to get the paladin stronghold, i have this several times, killed firkraag (then the shadow dragon) then gone to the radient heart and they let me join, first paladin quests is the squatters in umar isnt it

similar to how killing the shade lord gets you the ranger stronghold, and killing torgal gets you the fighter stronghold, assuming you ar the right class or have multiple stronghold from EOU installed

if you have cloudkill, you can kinda cheese your way to killing him, its takes about 10 blasts of cloudkill for him to die, the lich in city gates has a wand of cloudkill with 10 charges, and there is a scroll of cloudkill in the unseeing eye base

[ September 02, 2006, 02:12: Message edited by: Elfen Lied ]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.