1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Is magic really necessary anymore?

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Darkiz, Feb 27, 2003.

1. Darkiz Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

[​IMG] Playing BG2 i have always been a fan of magic especially wizards, but lately i have been getting more and more lazy and not used as much.

And i have found that it hasnt affected my playing in a bad way, most likely in a good.

I use 4 fighters(Minsc/Keldorn/Sarevok/main char) and aerie(crom faeyr for bosses) and imoen on ranged weapons/magic.

The only time i use magic is when i need healing or other protective spells right before a battle.

I hardly use breach/pierce magic because most enemys i need it on cant be targetted because of invisibility or such so i just bash him with my fighters who are using 4-6+ weapons until he drops dead using the occasional masscure or heal.

So what i am wondering is if its really that good going for magic more then just for protection/healing?

2. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

Magic can make the harder fights way more easier. I agree with you that it isn't really necessary. But on the other hand 4 powerfull mages don't need fighters by their sides. I always try to find a perfect balance to make the game the most fun to play and to play it to the maximum.

Pierce magic is one of the most valuable spells out there. In your case you just need a oracle or detect invisibility before you pierce you enemies. After that they will be defenseless.

3. The Silver Bear Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

You're probably right! Magic isn't so necessary if you are familiar with the game...but magic is cool! A world without magic is a world without fun...without joy! After all...all the links that are represented within the game are related to magic. Irenicus is a mage, Liches are mages, and all the most difficult enemies in the game use magic (including the Dragons). See? Magic rules all and everything.
    By the way, I liked a lot of this topic. Congratulations!

4. Khelben Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

I like Magic,i want Magic,i love Magic.

5. Deda Jag Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

"So what i am wondering is if its really that good going for magic more then just for protection/healing?" - quote

well what you mean by 'that good'? imo magic is far more powerful in BG2 than any figher could ever be.

i dont know if its necessary to use magic xcept for healing etc as you said but for me its my sorcerer whos the key in tough fights not my fighter. even tho its usualy the figher who makes the final blow after my sorcerer is done with his stuff.

actually i think the game would be much harder without magic. harder and much less fun. magic users got so many options how to deal certain situation while fighters just do their job (hack & slash).

as someone said balanced party is a way to go i guess. you get it all. take vamipres for example. you can just chopp them into pieces or you can sunray/turn them or you can just disintegrate them :)

this topic actually brings another question tho.

"Are fighters really necessary anymore?" :p

6. The Archmage Neon Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Magic is the ultimate power in the D&D FR universe. I recommend reading "The Magic of Faerun" for all of those magic fans out there, even if you don't play P&P. IMO, the key to magic is understanding it, and reading that will help, even if you just play BG2 with it's limited spells. Fighters are just pawns on a wizards chess board. Look at the FR world, the magocracies are some of the most powerful countries, besides Cormyr of course (even though Azoun died). Look at Thay, even though they are very reliant on slavery, they are one of the largest concentrations of powerful beings on the continent of Faerun. All hail magic!

7. Thunder Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

It actually depends on your playing style if magic is needed or not. Fact remains a lot of fights can be much easier when you use magic. Personally the mages in my party rarely use their spells, except for the 'boss-monsters'. Fighters could finish this game by their selves, in fact, I plan to play an all fighter game soon. Only pure fighter classes, no duals, no multiclasses, just fighers. WOOHO! :>

8. Sir Goulum Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

I usually only use Magic against hard baddies such as Kangaxx or Jon Irenicus. Otherwise, I just send them all to attack 1 guy as a group and move on. :)

9. Blog Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

My first time through the game when I didn't realize the strength of those anti-abjuration spells, I simply waited out all the spell protections like Prot. vs. Magical weapons or Mantle. And then I hacked through the stoneskins and that's it.

So yes, I think the game can be beaten without magic. But magic certain makes things more fun and healing much faster.

10. Hephaestus Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Magic is by no means necessary, but it is cool and gives you an image that says more than,"Me Hulk. Me Smash!!!" :p

11. Darkiz Gems: 2/31

yes magic is fun but as many states you're not dependant on it for survivial

One use i have found is when you need to kill someone within a second or less a robe of vecna combined with magic missiles/flame arrow or other fastcasting magic is good

Its probably right that magicians are better against bosses while fighters are better for lowlevel bigger fights but its not necessarily that way.

My fight against Irenicus(first one in the tree) i didnt use any real offensive magic, i summoned up creatures for him to slay while waiting for protections to wear off so i could bash him down

Anyway i've probably played my last BG2 for a long long time, played through it enough to know exactly where everything is and that pretty much takes the excitement out of the game so i will widen my horizons a bit

12. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Why bother going toe to tow with that bunch of goblins when a well placed fireball will toast the lot of them? :rolling:

13. Shoshino

Shoshino Irritant Veteran

Media:
    there's nothing better then a spell trigger with 3 fireballs in it.... toasty warm.

shouldnt this have been in the tob forum?

14. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Later on in the game, I use my mages for 2 things -- To summon what some people so elegantly refer to as "meatshields" and to pierce through spell protections. Clerics can do some good summoning, and of course the healing is nice, as are support spells like Bless, Chant and Aid. I'm sure that properly equipped I could probably make it through the game without a mage or cleric, but it wouldn't be near as much fun.

15. Son of Moradin Gems: 2/31

I have only one thing to say. When i play BGII and Icewind Dale I-II i have at least 2 spellcasters, and why? I´t makes the game more exciting to play!

16. spetznaz Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Since you've got Sarevok, this should be about ToB right?
    IMO, a magician can be more powerful in SoA then a Fighter, tho in ToB, a Fighter can be more Powerful. Just what I think..

17. Darkiz Gems: 2/31

yeah probably should have been in ToB but doesnt really matter, i've started playing IWD2 now and my mages are my best characters by far, my fighers are pretty much just "meatshields"

My mages in Bg2 were imoen(nalia chapter 2-3) and aerie giving them nice bows/sling and some sort of strenght enhancer they were better fighters then casters and with weapons that dont require ammo they can hit golems and bosses, i played through the game using flame arrow and skull trap as the highest lvl non defensive/summoning spell and never encountered any problems

18. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Oh, it very much matters if you're posting in the wrong forum. There's a sticky on top of each, go read them. Moving.

19. Aces Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Super-Power Tal, the Policeman of Sorcerer's Place, will disarm the spammers by force if necessary!
    :lol:

Magic is always the most important thing! ;)

20. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Boy.

Fighting Kangaxx or the dragons without magic?

I don't know how to do it. I've never tried it.

Well. Not without a killsword, anyways. Since I always load my people up with them, and they pretty much negate magic in general, there's not really any point in me saying anything about them.

Cutting back on magic is one thing. Going without is another, completely. And by magic, I mean a wizard/sorcerer/bard. Arcane magic. Not cleric or druid domain magic; it's definately possible to play without those. Your bank account will take a serious hurt, though.

Now, if you're talking about strictly the plot-advancing quests and paths, then it might very well be possible. I can't think of any plot-critical battles where you can't backoff, and wait for all the protection spells to wear off. You don't have to defeat the shadelord, or the red dragon, or get Cernd. Although, you'll spend some time building up that 15k in gold, for chapter 3. Killing slavers or something.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.