1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

A solo sorcerer in Chapter 2...how to survive?

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Lionheart, Sep 11, 2006.

1. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

If you consider "what is" in the game to be design, then every little bug that ruins the game is on purpose too, so you'd better not install Baldurdash or anything like that or you'll be ruining the intent. Where to draw the line may be a little tricky, but I think common sense does the job rather well...
    Oh no, you can't brush me off that easily. ;) As I said before, I've been careful not to do any referring to 2e rules (with the exception of the aside about what the Simulacrum was typically created from). But seriously, this is an illusion; there is nothing there. Nothing, nothing, nothing. (Should I say it again? Nah. :shake: ) It does not exist. Creating something from nothing through the use of magic is questionable enough, but nothing creating something from nothing...that's a step too far for even BG2. Spellcasting requires somatic components because it requires a form for the magic to flow along (to say nothing of the connection to the source of magical power), and illusions don't have that.
    Actually, I'd class it as a corruption of 2e, attempting to simulate 3e, but again, I'm not trying to go by the PnP rules for my arguments.
    Really? Does this sound familiar?
    Now what would you call that? Really, I'm not arguing against PI. I even use it myself on odd occassions despite its brokenness; as you say, it's just a game, and fun is the priority. All I'm arguing for is seeing the truth about what you're doing, and then hopefully shrugging it off. As I said before, many people use it knowing that its not quite right, but not caring. Wheras you seem to be coming from the direction of "Of course it's right, that's how it was meant to be, so I can use it without guilt." And self-delusion over a game...well, you yourself said that would be pretty pathetic, though I wouldn't say it was quite that bad.
    Good try Silverstar, but even illusions have to come from somewhere. And unfortunately, PI only covers the image. It would take additional illusions cast from the original mage to produce that effect, but when the whole point of the spell is to cast by proxy, that would be something of a waste (unless you specialize in illusionary spells or something like that).

2. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Felinoid, I know I said I wasn’t going to post here any more, but I’m not going to try to argue any more with you or explain myself further to you (I think it’s pointless at this stage), but rather I’m going to agree with you on something.

But first – you stated that I said self-delusion in a game would be pathetic (self-delusion in the sense of not admitting something is cheesy). That’s not what I meant – the pathetic part would be for a man my age to get a sense of honor out of something (gaming) that has no business being taken so seriously.

Now on with me agreeing with you:

When I said that, given my age, it would be pretty pathetic of me if I felt a sense of honor over how I played a computer game, you challenged me on that by reminding me that I had previously said I didn’t want to abuse game bugs, implying that this suggested a code of honor.

As I said above, when I was referring to honor, I meant taking pride in how I would approach something that’s actually important, as opposed to a computer game. But the fact that I don’t want to abuse game bugs means that I want to play by the rules (as I interpret them, at least), and in a sense, this does have its roots in honor.

So you’re right – I am pathetic. :( So at least we agree on something.

OK, now I’ve really gone off-topic, so I’m done here for real.

3. Shadow Steele

Shadow Steele Still hiding in the shadows all night

Well now, wasnt that fun?

4. Fly2tHeSkY

Fly2tHeSkY Southern Comfort Veteran

Once you hit level nine spells and beyond and umm, you're in chapter 2, doesn't it get boring?

5. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

^The game auto-balances itself to your level, so it will be harder, but nothing can withstand the power of HLAs in SoA part of the game (unmodded, that is.) So you are right, it may get boring if you like hard challenges and battles. :(

6. Sikret Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

@Lionheart:
    I'm a bit confused by your comments on different topics, Lionheart!

You wrote almost the same comments in the other topic here which was about Improved Anvil. Now I see these comments about Tactics. Have you installed both of them? Seven components of Tactics mod (Twisted Rune included) are incompatible with IA. Furthermore, Tactics doesn't improve Copper Coronet (IA does).

I suspect that you have an incorrect installation. You can send (copy & paste) your weidu log file here so that I verify your installed mods and installation order.

7. Fly2tHeSkY

Fly2tHeSkY Southern Comfort Veteran

That's why I don't really like soloing, because it hardly becomes a challenge :(

8. Decados

Decados The Chosen One

Media:
    ^ Then set yourself conditions. You could go for a no-reload game or not use items that get considered cheesy (eg the Cloak of Mirroring). Try soloing a thief without using UAI.

Even without mods there are ways to make your game harder if you want to.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.