1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

How to kill liches

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by chevalier, Aug 12, 2004.

1. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
  2. Benan Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Pierce shield, dispell magic, bash bones into dust, walk away with a smile.

3. Jhonka

Jhonka This is the face of Justice Veteran

Inquisitor, Cloak of Cheese, Carsomyr. Add scroll of protection from magic if necessary.

4. Blog Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

High level good or neutral cleric, turn undead.

5. Gwynnbleid Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Pierce shield, Breach, Dragonbreath, and my warrior and Keldorn phisically attack lich. If lich is spelling new spell your wizzard has to spell Breach or something similar. a few seconds and lich is dead.

6. Mayfairy Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Show yourself to get its magical protections rolling and run away. Wait for those protections to worn out and bash him.

7. Loerand

Loerand My heart holds no fear for death

1) Prot. from magic scroll + IMoD

2) Wait 'n bash

3) Prot. from Undead scroll + any magic weapon(does not work on Kangaxx though)

:)

8. GI Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Reduce lich's hp to 0 or lower :p

It still does, though not with the improved Kangaxx

9. Thyorna Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Cloak of the Sewers, tansform to mustard jelly, and let Ole Stale Breath waste away on you with spells that don't affect you, because of the 100% magic resistance provided by the mustard jelly form. Let him use everything that he's got and transform back and procede to beat the unliving piss out of him with magic weapons. This is for a low level char and party.

High level just dispel his protections and beat the hrll out of him or use high level clerical spells, like False Dawn, Sunray, or Turn Undead. Sunray can also be provided by Daystar and seeing as its an innate ability of the sword it can be cast almost instantaneously so theres almost no chance of disruption and you can roast him before he can protect himself

10. Mayfairy Gems: 8/31

@Thyorna: Didn't know that mustard jellies had 100% MR. Thanks for the tip. You saved my day. :)

[ August 12, 2004, 11:41: Message edited by: Mayfairy ]

11. Loerand

Loerand My heart holds no fear for death

@GI:

Kangaxx has some dialogue before he dies, and if you use the Prot. from Undead scroll he won't be able to talk to you, and therefore, he won't die either...

12. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Liches are immune to spell level 1-9, so, in rough order in which they appeared:

Pierce Shield
    Dispel Magic
    Breach
    False Dawn
    Sunray

All will have no effect. However, chev's use of Dragon Breath will work, as Dragon's Breath is an HLA, and thus, considered a level 10 spell.

Turning into a mustard jelly works.

Using protection from Undead (after he turns into the Demi-Lich) or using Protection from Magic are well documented ways of defeating him.

You could probably turn him with a cleric, but we're talking about a REALLY high level cleric.

The other really common solution which I haven't seen mentioned yet is cast the mage spell: Spell Immunity, and then chose Abjuration as the school to protect against the imprisonment. Then cast Melf's Minute Meteors, and take him out.l

13. Bluerose Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

I believe this was about killing liches in general, and, iirc, they are not all immune to lvls 1-9 spells.

14. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Plant all the traps you've got. Shish kebab-ed lich. :cool:

15. Fiatil Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

I'm pretty sure only demi-liches are immune to spells 1-9.

16. Thor Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Carsomyr, n'uff said... The only lich i had a problem with was the one in amkethran, the dude who summons a load of other grisly undead. But then again, if you are a high enough level, any lich will get turned! For a demi-lich, a scroll of prot. from undead works fine with me!

17. Eric Xanthus Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Liches are immune to spells 1-5, not 1-9. Of course that means you can't breach or dispel magic them, which makes their PfMW spell pretty nasty--unless you have MoD, of course.

18. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    @Bluerose and Eric

My bad. It's level 1-5 for regular liches, it's level 1-9 for the two demi-liches. Generally speaking it's the two demi-liches in the game that people have trouble with. Other people have brought up the demi-lich before I posted so I thought he was fair game as well - should have specified I wasn't talking about all liches though.

@Thor - Carsomyr is great until the demi-lich casts Imprisonment on you.

19. Mayfairy Gems: 8/31

@Faraaz: If you have ToB installed (I assume it is, as this thread is in ToB section) it should pretty much take the cheese out of that trap trick.

20. Thyorna Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

I forgot the Spell Immunity: Abjuration aldeth thats generally the easiest against Kangaxx, but as everyone else has said normal liches can get fried by a good ole False Dawn or Sunray

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.