1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Going Solo

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by CĂșchulainn, Mar 2, 2005.

1. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

is this available in an unmodded game? from whom?

2. Kulyok Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

From the guy who looks like a nobleman, in the row of merchants.
    But the blade only works for 4 rounds and has a lousy thac0. :(

3. Minh So Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

My current solo project is Kensai, so no traps, no arrow of dispelling. Just need more and more fodders, where is the Efreeti bottle in Trademeet ? Is it available in the unmodded game, I play this game for years and don't recall anything like this.

Btw, I didn't know that monks can use all kind of wands and Keldorn can use the harp of confusion (so any Inquisitor can use this, I suppose)

4. Kulyok Gems: 11/31

It is available, yes, the Dao who floats next to the entrance to Dao camp has the bottle.
    I'm not sure if you can use Staff of Fire (Planar Sphere), but if you can, 5 elementals will rush to your aid.

Monks can't use wands, it's been fixed in Baldurdash. (but in the original game yes, they can)

5. Scythesong Immortal Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Media:
    Ras is more useful as a meat shield than anything else.
    Kensais can use the Staff of Fire, iirc. If you "recharge" the staff (sell and buy it form a merchant) every once in a while, you can have an near-unlimited supply of fodder.
    There's alsp the Staff of Air, but you can only summon an Air Elemental one at a time.

6. Thunder Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

The efreeti bottle can be taken from the genie at the outside of the tent in trademeet. There is also a berseker to be summoned from a horn, and you can find that in a house at the bridge district, with the halfling who sells fish in front of it. I do use the staff of air, not just for the elemental, but also for the sleep cloud you can cast from it, works just like a stinking cloud:)

7. Minh So Gems: 6/31

Wah, I didn't know that staff is usable for everyone except monk, and although I have played this game a milions of times, I just killed those Dao Djinni for once, and long long ago :doh:

Another cool thing about the staff of command, it seems there's no save for domination from it, Korgan has -4 save vs spell, and I can charmed him alright. Maybe that's a bug ? My game got a lot of bug recently, just yesterday, my PC immune to all status ailments :shake:

8. Kulyok Gems: 11/31

It's not a bug IMO, 'cause there's nothing about saving thr in the description ! :D

But it doesn't work on magic-immune creatures. :(

So mind-control circlet is better, but the supply is not unlimited.

9. MsKitty Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

My fave solo is the Undead Hunter Paladin. She kicks everything out of her way, is immune to hold AND level drain, and can chunk undead with a look. Best solo ever.

10. Viking Gems: 19/31

I'm soloing a monk at the moment - Thank God I haven't used the Boulderdash fixpack since I've had liberal use of my wand of fire :D

As with all solo char's the hardest part are things that confuse you since all of a sudden you're a sitting duck. Of course, a maze spell and it's reload time. Other than those, not too difficult, so far: Underdark, level 28 or something, thac0 of -13 I think, four attacks per round, damage *should be* range of 14-33 or some such :) so with a few HLA's we're looking at some rather liberal damage. Greater WW - 10 * 23.5 at the mo. I wonder how many rounds Firkrag will go with me in the dance of avg 230 or so damage per round?

I'm plotting serious destruction in chapter 6 :D

Oh yeah, does anyone remember what level I get +4 fists? I mean to hammer Kangaxx hard, but of course I need to be able to hit him.

11. Minh So Gems: 6/31

lv25 :thumb:

I really shouldn't let my monk go pass lv25 though, he's ridiculous powerful. I just leave him there in the Kuro-Toan city, go make a cup of tea, and come back pick up the spoils :(

12. San Ti Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

when i was telling that a monk is an awsome character everyone was making fun of me...and NOW here he comes to prove me correct...i still insist that the best characters for solo are : assasin, monk and sorcerer.

13. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    Don't know about assassin, but hey, I won't contradict you about the other two :)

Seriously, not "everyone" was making fun. Many people (me me me!) do consider a high-level monk to be the ultimate killing machine. But others feel it takes too long for his power to mature (the Kensai/Mage has the same problem, until you reactivate Kensai levels), and therefore don't play him long enough.

I'm sure others will also say soloing a Monk can get boring. When you have such a powerful tank, which on top of it doesn't require any items, you're reducing character management both in and out of combat. That can get pretty boring when your monk can kill everything on an area map while you go have lunch (or a cup of tea if you prefer :) ). At least with a Sorcerer or a Ranger/Cleric you need to provide some input when it comes to spellcasting.

14. Kulyok Gems: 11/31

Well, you can solo a Monk in TOB only ! ;) This way you're a killing automation from the very start.

15. Minh So Gems: 6/31

My monk got 1st HLA at lv20, means he got 2 HLAs before breaking the 3mil exp cap. Wonder if this is a bug ?

And does their fists get some dmg bonus ? I see him doing 3x dmg quite often (19 str), I know monks' fists do 1d20 dmg and all but is that enough, shouldn't they just do 27 dmg for maximum ?

Another thing I totally forgot, while monks have only 1 atk/round with melee weapon, they can make it up by using whirlwind, damn, now where's my dragon slayer, black razor... :(

16. Viking Gems: 19/31

Actually, a rather good question that: What is the damage calculation for my monk?

Level 28 so 1-20 from fists, fine.

+9 I think from str 21 :D
    +4 from the gauntlets of crushing (I do hate having to side with that maniac, but needs must)

Do I get an additional +4 for the +4 weapon that's my bare knuckles now, or is that already accounted for in the 1-20 effectively?

17. Minh So Gems: 6/31

I've just fried Saladrex the biggy insect - taste like chicken :yum: . I didn't know his claws are that short till I run to the exit. So with 2 rings of fire resistant, I just stood there kicking his butt :shake: And while dragon fear seems ignore magic resistant, lower fire resist does not, so convenient

Another pathetic dragon is in the courage test to the final seal. This one got a poison breath, what a nice breath :lol:

One thing I don't understand though, why true-sight does not dispel my mirror image from the Ilbratha sword. And why the hell can they dispel magic me so easy. Dispel can't go thru magic resist, and they're are nowhere near lv40 to make that spell work anyway :nolike:

The final seal battle is quite easy. Nasmirra, the drow wiz, Hive Mother are out (although cause serious wound goes thru magic resis, cloak of Mirroring save my ass). The huntress uses +1 arrow, out. T'yosshi can't hit me (-20AC) - she did give me some nice crit hits though :( . Xe Win Toh got a smite to his head, then followed by greater whirlwind :p

One interesting note, when I tried to retreat to the east gate, there're 5 golems waiting, they messed up the battle, badly. I retreated to the west gate, in hope that the golems can't go pass those 4 pillars, the plan worked. And the skel surrounded me, gave no room for the other big bad guys, I skipped the skels, use my oh-so-long fists to kill big guys :shake:

Now comes the Demogorgon, any tip ? :)

[ March 11, 2005, 17:26: Message edited by: Minh So ]

18. Koki Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Tip? With Cloak of Mirroring and AC -20? :p

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.