1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Going Solo

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Cúchulainn, Mar 2, 2005.

1. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

I just wanted to discuss tactics, share experiences etc with people that love to solo.

I have tried an Assassin earlier this year but gave up (I am a constant restarter) but I am going to try again. I realized how useful poison is great for those random encounters between city areas and I had to reply on pickpocket (for Ribhalds ring). I am wondering if its possible to kill demons and dragons with the Assassin class (How far did you get Faraaz?).

Has anyone tried Soloing with non Mage and Thief classes?

2. Khemsa Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I am not that familiar with assassins, but will offer some thoughts. First, get the guide to thieves found here at SP -- very good advice found therein. Second, when it comes to demons and dragons, you are still a thief so use traps. Extensively.

Personally, I only solo sorcerers, M/T, F/M/T, and M/C

3. Kulyok Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

I tried soloing with Asassin, but demons are a real pain. They see through you, and they try to paralyze you. My way was to use the Greenstone amulet and lure them out to my traps, as most arrows don't work on them, and backstabbing is tricky. Dragons are easier, arrows of Dispelling help a lot.

Ranger/Cleric is VERY easy to solo, also a Kensai (I killed a Demogorgon with 20 level Kensai, but it was on Normal level of difficulty). Sorcerer/Mage - well, my favourite. :)

4. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31

I have read the thief's guide. It was the Assassin skills along with HLA's that sold me on this class to go solo.

This time I am going to take skills on shortswords, clubs and darts (Do I get 3 attacks per round with darts?).

I think I get one more choice after this so probably quarter staves (thought I have had problems backstabbing with these in the past).

What were you must difficult battles?

Mine was Xzars house (2 mages, ghouls and a golem) but my trap-setting and poison sling bullets helped me win this fight.

5. Kulyok Gems: 11/31

You have 3 attacks with darts, yes. Though your Thac0 suffers, it's much easier to aim with the sling, you're right.

You also can use different items and potions. For example, if you go to kill Golems, take a staff of striking and the belt that increases AC with blunt weapons. A pity you can't backstab these, though.

I also use one arrow of dispelling on each mage I encounter, this way the protections are down and you can turn invisible with a potion and backstab.

6. Minh So Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

My Kensai got a serious problem, even in the first dungeon, He runs out of healing potion, every trap does around 100 dmg, instantly kills him >____>

I was going to dual him to a mage at lv13, but seeing a goblin archer doing 30 dmg on him, I think I gonna give up at lv9 (250k exp compare to 12.5k), how the hell do I suppose to do with such a whimpy

7. Kulyok Gems: 11/31

Hey, my Kensai was soloing on Normal only, I don't dare to solo on Insane with a char that can't cast a Stoneskin

8. Minh So Gems: 6/31

Actually I made it today :D
    After doing all the easy quest that involves no fighting, I got 500k exp (danm it, even a lv7 mage is a nightmare, they just cast stoneskin, mirror image then 3 magic missles - I'm a goner :mad: )

some notes :

- arbane +2 short sword, I need this sword badly, so I focused to kill Suna-seni, loot his corpe and ran from the rest. bwahahahaha :shake:
    Same for the second encounter, I steped up, talked to Refnel and picked him up, ran(the one got poisoned and asks me to bring him to the Harper hold, don't remember his name)

- xyz short sword that allows you to cast mirror image (from Umar Hill), this is a real good thing, the spell actually becomes better when I lv up, lv12 kensai can have 6 images, weeeee...

- I bought a lot of potion from Itafer, the Rasakha in the Druid grove, mainly potion of invisibility, I had to sneak thru many badguys, after done with Fadorn, I came back for the Belm, cast haste (from Arbane), then ran from the trolls, one potion is too much, can't waste it >___>

So, all the easy quests are delepted, with those item and many potions, I went to the De' Arnist fortress, to the upstair, get the key (wasted one pot here), got one flail head from the golems (one more pot), back downstair, reassembled the flail. Now everything has changed, though I totally forgot the Amulet that set AC to 4, my kensai still rocks with the flail, after many rests, I stumbled on victory eventually, yay me :)

With those setup, I came back to the Druid Grove, kill the Rasakha (can't kill those djinni, they turn me to stone - mirror image ain't work), finished the whole Trademeet, bought the Ras (basically a Mordy sword, but only for 4 rounds >__> but that my first decoy, I can't use the Vhailor's helm, no Horn of Vahalla yet), then bought the missle amulet (kind of a fireball wand, I used this one to finish those filthy spider under the Graveyard (to get that Ioun Stone and spider figurine)

Too bad, after collecting all these times, I have only 100k exp to go, maybe I should just keep my kensai (and change his race to dwarven ?) :)

Edit : DUHM is awesome, gives you 20 extra HP for those deadly traps. AND when you rest with DUHM, you regen alot better, so I don't have to rest 2 days for merely 100 HP :)

9. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31

For 'Soloing' dungeon-be-gone is essential. I hate that intro dungeon as I have played this game more times than is good for me!

Minh So, how did you beat mages that protect themselves from weapons etc?

10. Ban'Darlae Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Would it be do-able to solo with an inquisitor? He'll be able to detect mage's illusions and dispel their protections. And if that doesn't work, 50% magic resistance from Carsomyr should keep him safe while fighting the mage.

11. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31

That sounds feasible to me, but how are you going to kill the red dragon to get Carsomyr? That could be difficult without traps and offensive magic.

12. Ban'Darlae Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I think that with the right potions and some heavy weaponry the inquisitor should be able to defeat Firkraag in melee combat. Again, he can dispel the dragon's protections and hack away.

13. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31

I wish you well on this. With my assassin, I never dared to take on Liches and Dragons.

14. Minh So Gems: 6/31

@Cesard : I didn't kill any mage till I got the FoA, even the two apprenties of Xar can whope my azz. Hold, charm, confuse, lightning bolt, magic missile, that's just too much >___> heh, how irony that I can win 2 stone golems, 2 fleshes, 1 clay, 1 iron in a few rounds, then lose to a single pathetic mage :lol:
    Gota avoid them at all cost, so far I have killed 2, Merakth (for Haer Dalis) and Gayrick (for Edwin). And that's enough to get lv13. If I'm not going to dual him, I must change his race to dwarven (and plus, save up some potion of magic shielding :) )

Assasine may have a good time when he got HLAs, Staff of Magi, wand of monster summon and the others. I don't think liches are much trouble, but dragons, eww... fire lower resistant -> fire dragon breath -> dragon did 160 dmg to you -> you've been pawned, please reload >___>

15. Thunder Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Roger the fence and that potion selling lady at the bridge district sell potions that grant a degree of magic resistance and IIRC they also sell some potion that grant immunity to certain spell levels, although I'm not certain about that. At least they are perfect against mages. And the cloak of the sewers grant you the form of a jely with 100% magic resistance. All you need when soloing against mages.

16. Deuce Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I think Roger, along with some of the other potion shops, also sells 2 very valuable potions - Potion of Clarity (much like a Chaotic Commands spell) and Potion of Freedom (Free Action). For non-cleric solos these are ace.

17. Minh So Gems: 6/31

Roger the fence sells 3 potions protect from magic dmg (same as the spell protect from energy lv8), 3 potions protect from magic (grant 50% magic resist). And the jelly form has something like 50 magic resist, not 100% like the spell polymorphself lv4.

So I definitely need a lot of luck and reload to finish the game with my Kensai :)

Btw, any tip for killing dragon ? The shadow dragon in particular :)

18. Kulyok Gems: 11/31

What, without traps ?

It has a very good AC, you'd need to boost your Thac0 if you do it without traps, placed at the entrance.

Maybe a Staff of the Rynn+potions of Haste, etc ?
    Arrows of Dispelling for protections, Arrows of Piercing...

Scrolls of Restoration for sure, because level draining is nasty.

The belt from Trademeet comes to mind.

19. Malagance Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I would think it possible to solo an Inquisitor. Right now I just finished SoA and I'm starting ToB. Not soloing, but when properly equipped, my Inquisitor is very capable of handling most any situation. He has the saves to deal with death traps, the HP and Thaco for melee, and above all, the True Sight and Dispel magic at double your level make previously difficult fights very very easy. Firkraag could be tricky, it's true. But if you're high enough level, you should be able to stand toe to toe with him.

20. Scythesong Immortal Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Media:
    Dragon-killing with a solo kensai can be a problem. I suggest you buy Ras, the dancing blade, in trademeet (allows you to summon a floating sword like Mordy's blade, also immune to any type of physical damage) and bring your choice of ranged weapons (throwings axes or daggers). Ras will give you a free two rounds to try to pound the Dragon with everything you possibly have(Use potion of Heroism, or potions with similar effect to boost your melee abilities). Use the Efreeti bottle in trademeet to summon an Efreet to eat the Shadow Dragon's Death Spell first.

If you run out of options melee, use hit and run tactics with your ranged weapons. Or you can try to do Ranged Attacks first so you exhaust the Shadow Dragon's options(ie, his breath attacks, wing buffet,etc), before summoning Ras and wading into melee. (Make sure you've made the Dragon lose his one memorized Death Spell first)

Actually I'm not sure what you would do since the time I soloed a Kensai I was LVL 21 when I killed the Dragons.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.