1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Are you cheesy?

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Menion Leah, Aug 5, 2003.

1. Deathmage

Deathmage Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    Realized I haven't actually replied, so...

Cheesy. Definitely cheesy. IMHO, Simulacrum shouldn't even be in the game.

Cheesy as hell. You really think a dragon wouldn't see that? But I admit to setting the trap around Kangaxx's tomb, because, well, why would anyone trust a lich?

Cheat it in. I hate people who exploit the game's engines and claim that they are not cheating. I have no problems with cheating, but just admit you're cheating at least!

Proud to say I've never done this on anything before, this is most definitely cheesy. The spell is called "Magic Resistance", not "Lower Magic Resistance".

Ridiculously cheesy. Do I even have to explain?

Never thought about this combo, good use of spells, but still cheesy...but not too cheesy. Santuary is overpowered, IMHO...I mean, a spell that basically blocks out everything at level 1? Puh-lease...

That is so cheesy it's not even funny...might as well CTRL+Y him. Saves time.

I've never done this before, but if I did I would a) have to know the enemy is there and b) leave the door open. Monsters can't open doors, so...

:rolleyes:

Does the spell description say it can only be cast on a hostile creature? Never used this spell. Doesn't sound cheesy to me...but I've heard that the creature doesn't go hostile. So that's cheesy.

That is so insanely cheesy. You honestly think your enemies will wait for you for eight hours, sitting their, twiddling their thumbs, waiting for you to attack them?! Nonetheless, I've done this before.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2018
  2. Trimm Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I have played through SoA and ToB counless times, and my first act in Ch.2 is always the same. I go upstairs, use a couple of Potions of Master Thievery, and rob the merchant blind. He has an infinite supply of Halbreds+1 which I fence in the Docks District. It's no different than stealing cars from a dealership with an "infinite" supply of cars, so I don't consider it to be cheesy. Lately, I have saved myself the time and trouble by simply using CLUA to give myself the gold. This saves me several boring and generally uneventful trips. Aside from this, I play fair. I don't consider it to be cheesy, since I'm going to get the gold regardless. Any opinions?

3. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I don’t know of many dealerships with an infinite supply of cars. Nonetheless, using the console is definitely not cheesy – it’s cheating. You could extend that arguement to battles which you know you will eventually win (even if it takes a few reloads) as justification for using Ctrl-Y. But it’s your game, and if you want to do it, go ahead.

4. Menion Leah Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Or you could just CLUA in all the cool items you know you will eventually get... :rolleyes:

And I DO think it's cheesy to rob someone of his infinite supply of something. It isn't very realistic that someone would have an infinite supply of something, you know.
    And one could actually argue that it's cheesyto steal big stuff anyway. Like the merchant won't notice if some huge armor or halberd is gone. But the game is designed that way, so I don't really mind.

5. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Quote: "Setting traps around a not-yet-hostile creature so he'll die as soon as he'll become hostile"

The only time this is not cheesy is with the Shadow Dragon -- the wardstone makes him blind to your presence, so it's a fair exploitation of the game. In other cases, I set traps far away from a hostile creature and then lure him to said traps -- this works well on Firkraag, the Dragon in Watchers Keep, and Draconis. This is not cheesy, it's common sense!

6. Menion Leah Gems: 9/31

I think dragons are about six times your character's size. Firkraag and the dragon in WK (don't know about the other one) would realistically be very able to see the end of their lairs...

7. Maincarast'è Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Talking about vision, (and not cheese, but programmer's lazyness), one of the eyes of any beholder is supposed to cast a permanent "true sight", but you can actually hide in shadows or cast any illusion spell without being it immediatly removed. What kind of so-called Beholder would it be if anyone with a potion that can be bought almost anywhere can pass by its side??.

8. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    I agree that dragons would be able to see their entire lairs - it would just make sense. If they couldn't they'd be leaving themselves open to attack.

However, I must sadly admit that since the shadow dragon wardstone does mean that the shadow dragon wouldn't recognize your presence in the room means that you theoretically could set traps all around it and it wouldn't notice you doing it.

9. Menion Leah Gems: 9/31

Yes, that's true.

I still would consider it cheesy though and wouldn't do it. Don't really know why. I guess that you could defend the fact that he wouldn't notice.
    Maybe I associate being a coward with being cheesy...

10. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Oh, it's definitely a "cheap" way to get a kill. Just because I'm saying it's technically within the rules doesn't mean I'd advocate doing this. In fact, I can say quite proudly that I have NEVER killed any creature in the game by setting traps before he became hostile. :D

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.