1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Are you cheesy?

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Menion Leah, Aug 5, 2003.

1. Menion Leah Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

I used Shadow Keeper, so I guess it isn't really accurate then. I don't really know anytthing about ad&d stuff.

2. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

I never use scrolls in the first place, why bother with this?

Never.

Nope.

I've never done this, but I don't consider it a cheesy tactic.

Nope, and in fact, I've never even heard of this one.

I never actually was able to get sanctuary to work. It always disappeared whenever I tried to cast any spell. I would only consider this cheesy if you're using it on inteligent creatures and they don't run away. Bad AI programming.

That's not cheese, that's outright cheating. I've never done it.

Nope. Never used any wand in any game of BG2, actually.

Nope.

Never used feeblemind, but I'm indifferent as to whether this is a cheat or legitmate.

I've done the luring, but also reprogrammed the enemies so that they get all their spells and hp back whenever I rest. I have not had the need to use this trick recently though, except in the mind flayer dungeon.

No, but if I tried, the golems in my game are programmed to throw rocks at me while I shoot them.

I would consider that cheating, not cheese. I've never done it.

Never.

You want some more tricks that people use?

15. Dual-wielding Yoshi and then cancelling to get traps reset.

I've never used that one, either.

Never used that trick of Tayja's, but it is something deliberately programmed into the game, so I can't blame people who use it.

3. Skywind Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

1. I only scribe the scroll to my spell book, so I never use it.
    Seems cheesy to me.

2. I used to do that with Yoshimo, but after finding out that something will happen to him, I did not use him anymore and manage to think of proper ways to defeat big bosses(I felt that I gained more excitment and fun playing the latter way).
    It is cheesy. As someone said before:" Can a dragon be so silly as to let you set traps around it, and still don't know your intention?"

3. I must admit, I am tempted to do it, now that I know it. But by right, it shouldn't be possible. I believe you know what I meant.
    It is cheesy.

4. Thought of this tactic before, kept wanting to use, kept forgetting to use... :doh:
    Don't seems cheesy to me, more like a tactic. ;)

5. Accidentally did it in IWD2 and almost overuse it(For experiences). For BG2, it's the de Arnise keep's captain who gave me another 20 fire arrows when I talk to him again to find out something which I didn't "listen" clearly to when he told me earlier.
    It is cheesy.

6. I did not try that before, and will never try that at all(The real fun of the game is not to stand around, do nothing and your foes will be dead, but to plan and use tactic to defeat them).
    It is cheesy, I agree with Menion Leah's reasoning.

7. Almost same as No2. I did that when I first play BG2. But when I gave it a try on proper ways, I realise the true fun.
    It is cheesy.

8. Sure to use it on the Umber Hulks in de Arnise keep(can't think of other ways, as my party are always low level during that time.
    Not sure... :hmm:

9. Never did that before. But going to check it out, just to gain more knowledge, not to use it(Really!) :square:

10. Never did that too. Nothing to comment....(Just not my way to battle foes even if I want to use cheesy ways).
    Depends, can be consider cheesy but what if in a roleplaying sense you find that certain person suspicious (Just like what Virne meant)? Then it might not be cheesy....

11. I used this often, but not for the resting part....(especially against the group in the guarded compound).
    It don't seems cheesy to me. For me, it only works against globins which can be lured one by one. if the foes are for example, the guarded compound's foes, they will all come down if I only lure one of them.

12. Did that when-ever, where-ever possible....(Actually only at low level and without Crom Faeyr). After my party have high level and Crom Faeyr, I will get iron/adamite golems only at the elven city, so no little door for me to hid behind by that time.
    Cheesy it is. Just as what Deathmage meant.

13. Tried that once, and somehow got addicted.... :money: (too lazy to go to other vendors).
    Cheesy it is.

14. Never tried that before.
    Cheesy as it should be.

15. Well.... since I am more of a powergamer and since Yoshimo's life is short, I don't use him often. So I no need to do that.
    Cheesy it got to be.
    What is that trick of Tayja's anyway?

[ August 06, 2003, 17:27: Message edited by: Skywind ]

4. Deathmage

Deathmage Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    I'd think that their orders are probably "Kill all intruders" (intruder=you), so they would attack you as soon as they see you, ignoring all opposition (even if it means falling down a bottomless hole) and Adamantine Golem's don't even have to SMASH doors, they could just walk right into it and it would collapse.

5. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

[​IMG] To those who do not consider using the cleric spell Magic Resistance offensively as cheesy:

- How do you justify that the spell is better, when used offensively, the lower the level of the caster is?
    - It is a "Protection sphere" spell. Doesn't that tell you something?

6. Victor Eremita Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

@Skywind
    Just pick up Lilarcor as soon as you get out of Irenicus' dungeon - then the Umber Hulks shouldn't be too difficult.

Sorry, I know this is :yot: but I'd hate to see someone turn cheesy out of pure need... :nono:

7. Greystar Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Well, I cast a benefical spell on him (out of the kindness of my heart of course :p ), and if hes weakened its not my fault :D

8. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

Or just use the dog stew. That's what it's there for.

9. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    I know this is :yot: but as a side note, I never got the dog stew thing to work right. They always see me. So I end up fighting the umber hulks, killing all of them and then I go and put the dog stew in their jail cell, and I still get the XP's, so I suppose it is better this way. I get more XP's after all.

I agree that the golems probably attack and ignore all opposition. Probably true that they can bash their way through any doorway.

10. Skywind Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

It came to my mind before.... But Nalia will found me first, before I could get Lilarcor as Lilarcor is in the hidden passage of copper c...(forgotten how to spell that). So it don't seems right to me if I were to delay the resue.
    I mean, by the time the main char gets Lilarcor, Nalia's father maybe dead already(although all of us know that eventually he will dies, in a roleplaying sense, the main char shouldn't know).

As for the dog stew, well.... I kind of like being a ranger, and since there is another way for me, I will not do that(anyway, I consider dogs as one of the most faithful creatures in the world and since my favour animal is dogs, I have no heart to kill it even if it is just a computer game).

11. dAS Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

I take no shame from closing doors after tossing a foul spell into a room. as for the golem thing, it can be a bit cheap, but could it happen? I think so. It depends on what it is walking into. A house wall? it could turn it into rubble. A cave wall? maybe not so easy to do, such as the cave in Firrkrags' abode. I agree with setting traps but not with the creature in sight. Pickpoketting people twice, I think, in the case of the ring of the ram, it's not cheating; you pickpoket him when you first meet him, but get the ring again when you kill him. It's the game's fault IMO. Sanctuary and blade barrier is legitamit. If you are an evil character, what is from stopping you from randomly casting a spell on someone and then having to fight them? Having a thief or ranger scout ahead and lure one enemy at a time is a good strategy. Just some of my opinions.

12. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    But isn't that the whole point? Taking advantage of somthing that's the game's fault is pretty much the definition of cheese. It's the game's fault that fake talk is possible, it's the game's fault that you can repeatedly steal/sell with the same fence, etc.

13. Spelladonna Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

I tend to agree with most here about the various forms of tactics. Here's my 2 cents:

1 - never did it, though it is a smart use of the spell. Will need to consider trying this.
    2 - cheese and definitely not role playing
    3 - never got into the whole pickpocketing thing, but definitely cheese. You may as well just SK in the item X-number of times.
    4 - Not cheese at all. This is no different than casting "Heal" on the Empathic Manifestation while doing the Unseeing Eye quest in order to defeat it.
    5 - Never been fast enough to accomplish that. Cheese? Perhaps, though mildly cheesy.
    6 - This is no cheesier than having a high level cleric-mage armed with the Staff of the Magi, go invisible, and walk into a room full of undead and turn (e.g. destroy) them.
    7 - Fake talk is cheesy. Fortunately, there are a couple of encounters where this doesn't work at all.
    8 - Cheesy but only because the ones standing around inside those clouds don't move out of them or find a way to escape.
    9 - Yea, gamebanshee has a lot of cheesy tactics, but they have some good ones too.
    10 - Cheesy
    11 - Not cheesy. Taking on a group one at a time is a good tactic.

Like someone said earlier, a lot of this is because of poor AI scripting for the enemies.

14. Greystar Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Cheesy

Just try to set trap around someone (in real life) while hes watching and you will know :)

Better use SK, you dont even need a thief for it.

ditto

Cheesy, but not very effective IMO

The cheesiest of them all

No, common tactic :p

If they dont know what you are doing, go for it :D

Common tactic, except the sleep part

15. bigdndfan Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG]
    Yeah with the final battle with Mindflayers in the Sewers, sure its cool to buff up with anti-charming/stunning magics and send in 2 fighters making haste to the head mindflayers and start fighting them. Its all kinds of fun and extremely urgent. Its very dramatic seeing all the magic keep on firing off.

Though it makes more sense to lead away some of the Unber Hulks out first.

Thats not cheating, its just not sucidial.

And its not like taking advantage of the parameters of the software. As is BG I continiously fighting bandits to sleep and than scalp.

But sometimes there is nothing wrong with using the particulars of the software that was written.

Using the mindflayer's circlet on other very difficult targets much later on in the game, probably was thought about too much by the programmers. So as I mentioned elsewhere, you can use this on Drizzit and his cohorts. Its a rather easy way to defeat them.

Its quite amazing to watch actually. Have him turn on his allies as yours attack them as well.

After his party has been finished off, have your whole party beat on Drizzit (who for the past zillion times you try to fight him have been beating the smack out of you) He drops in just a few moments. Very satisfying. :)

16. pyroashani Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

[​IMG] i have no problem with the fire spell-close door tactic. in fact i used it as a pc for a game before thankfully i got the surprise but do you think a 7th level mage would be able to stand up to 24 orcs? you are crazy!!! so being that i got the surprise, i fired a firball in closed the door and DOVE AWAY!! as for the dog stew you need someone to open the door bring a thief (when i do it its always early so its yoshimo) thats has hide in shadows go past thier room (the door is open on the way put the meat in its containders and move around the corner hide in shadows again in case they see you by any slight chance. you could use the shoot and close door method or just simply close the door whatever works.

17. Spelladonna Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

What you described is a bit different than what a lot do. You didn't know the orcs were there so firing a fireball and running wouldn't be considered cheese.

What Menion was referring to was knowing that there is a fairly difficult (or maybe not so difficult) encounter about to occur, positioning themself so the enemy(ies) are still in the fog of war, and firing cloud spells to kill them without having to actually fight them. That is cheesy, regardless of your level.

18. pyroashani Gems: 2/31

@belladonna True, it is differant but i have done it in bg2. the 1st time i went threw the beholer lair in the underdark, idint have the sheild of balduran or anything else to block their eye gazes. so luck being with me i had imoen and a split class fighter mage and i shot 2 fireballs in their way. i killed almost all of them and the rest were relativley easy. this is the only time i used the tactic. i wouldnt feel like a true gamer if i use it as common strategy.

19. Menion Leah Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

You could pretty easily defend that. OK, it's cheesy if you just shoot it if you can't see them. You couldn't know they were there, or you could, from a previous game, but if you're roleplaying, the party wouldn't know.

Solution: send someone invisible their way. Hey, surprise, there are beholders there. Fireballing isn't cheesy, unless ofcourse you do it multiple times and they don't come after you.. What I was talking about, was exploiting the weak AI. Monsters tend to wait for you in the middle of a cloudkill if they can't see you.

20. pyroashani Gems: 2/31

usually when you fire a fireball (id say about 85% of the time) the monster will run in your direction so its not really cheesy however in that case, they didnt so i brought imeon (with the tuigan bow :) ) and keldorn with i think a crossbow of accuracy in by that time keldorn was high enough in level id say around 16 and had really low saves. which help considering there were only beholders left and all the gauths were dead. actually i think the gauths are the worse of the 2. they have slow, hold person, and that damn cause critical wounds grr. plus by that point most of my chars had low save so the could make the flesh/stone and disintegrate saves.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.